Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics A380: Compelling For Open-Source Enthusiasts & Developers At ~$139

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol
    .... on paper, A380 is 9 times faster in FP64 computations than GTX 1060, 147 times faster in FP16 computations than GTX 1060, and "infinitely" times faster in raytracing than GTX 1060 ....
    Yeah, I was surprised to see the 4:1 performance ratio of fp64:fp32. That's atypical, for consumer GPUs (although I think some of Intel's older iGPUs even had a 2:1 ratio).

Back when Pascal launched, fp16 was barely a thing. OpenGL had it, but it wasn't much used before deep learning took off. The P100 was the first dGPU to support packed fp16 dot product, but I think it also featured in Gen 9 Intel iGPUs. What the consumer line of Pascal cards had was 4x int8 dot product + accumulate (dp4a), which is great for inferencing.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      workstation cards of that era usually went all DP when they finally dropped DVI.
      I didn't say DVI. Nobody cares about DVI, especially when you can get a cheap passive cable to drive any single-link DVI monitor from a HDMI source. And basically every dual-link DVI monitor also has DisplayPort.

No, HDMI is good because it supports features still not found in DispayPort. More importantly, it's still exceeding rare to see a TV with a DisplayPort connector on it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshx1 View Post

Except that this is Intel, a multibillion dollar company. And they have been making iGPUs for a long time. Their software for this card is inexcusable. Consumers who have this card should be demanding refunds.
        This statement is a lot less logical than you think it is. Intel has been making iGPUs for a long time, but they have been too slow to even bother with optimizing 3D performance in games. You aren't going to constantly piss away many millions of dollars for development teams to fix AAA day 1 bugs or eek out extra performance when the damn thing is going to run at 4fps.

Their iGPU driver focus didn't get them 90% of the way to having competitive dGPU drivers. It's obviously closer to the inverse.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Long before OpenCL 3.0, Intel was the leading implementer of OpenCL features. They were first to support OpenCL 2.0 and I think they even had a fully-conformant OpenCL 2.2 implementation.

Thinking their OpenCL 3.0 is essentially just 1.2 -- you're probably confusing them with Nvidia.
          I think it's a fair question to ask. All that OpenCL development was part of Beignet, wasn't it? And I believe they dumped that driver and started from scratch again with OneAPI, and given the limitations the rest of their driver has with these new cards I think it's very fair to question what their current OpenCL support looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Intel A380 GTX 1060
            Node 6nm 16nm
            Transistors 7,200 million 4,400 million
            Frequency 2450MHz 1700MHz
            TDP 78W 116W
            It is embarrassing. On paper it should be at the very least 1.5 times faster than GTX 1060. Only its Open Sourcedness for Linux users and TDP are going for it. Windows drivers are rife with issues and many games don't work at all, and that's where the majority of sales will be. Linux users don't register on the GPU market.
            Arc cards support raytracing and provide a tensor-core like hardware block. So a fair comparison of raw number of transistors would have to be made versus RTX2xxx cards, which also had a ton of extra transistors added to them for not much additional raster performance gain.

Comment

I didn't say DVI. Nobody cares about DVI, especially when you can get a cheap passive cable to drive any single-link DVI monitor from a HDMI source. And basically every dual-link DVI monitor also has DisplayPort.

No, HDMI is good because it supports features still not found in DispayPort. More importantly, it's still exceeding rare to see a TV with a DisplayPort connector on it.
              Jebus. I didn't say you said DVI. I'm saying professional focused workstation cards didn't give a fuck about HDMI at the time so it's a weird thing to list as a negative for a half decade old card. Of course it didn't have HDMI.
              • Quadro K2200: 1x DVI, 2x DP
              • Quadro M2000: 4x DP
              • Quadro P2000: 4x DP
              This wasn't just an Nvidia thing. Going all the way back to cards like the GCN 2 AMD FirePro W5100, guess what display outputs it had? 4x DP.

Comment

A lot of people keep their hardware for many years. So, it's natural to be forward-looking, when you buy something.

I guess, if you upgrade your GPU every year, you can afford not to care if what you recently bought quickly becomes obsolete.
                The problem is you don't know what the future holds. AV1 widespread adoption may never take off. We've had H.266 for over two years now and it's barely used anywhere despite its many backers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Arc cards support raytracing and provide a tensor-core like hardware block. So a fair comparison of raw number of transistors would have to be made versus RTX2xxx cards, which also had a ton of extra transistors added to them for not much additional raster performance gain.
                  This card raytracing performance is laughable and it's just there for show and tensor-like blocks barely take any space as they are very simple.

Comment

A Windows vs. Linux benchmark is the next thing I want to see.
                    I have a feeling Windows is currently faster...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      A Windows vs. Linux benchmark is the next thing I want to see.
                      I have a feeling Windows is currently faster...
                      Yep will be doing a Windows vs. Linux in the next week or two.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X