Intel Smooth Sync Support Being Worked On For Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    For all the hype around adaptive sync I've never actually gotten to use it, everytime I went out to buy a laptop or monitor, products without it have won out due to being better products within a lower budget more often than not, wonder if that's still the same, or if the next monitor or laptop i buy will actually have it.
    You're really missing out. The difference is not subtle. Of course those products without adaptive sync are going to cost a few dollars less, you have to pay to play. Better to save up a little longer and buy for quality, rather than focus on budget/sale items. But yeah, if you're a gamer and you don't have adaptive sync, that's a crummy experience here in 2022.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 28 August 2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Hmm, can the code be adapted to other GPUs?

Also, it's a shame even the SteamDeck desn't support AdaptaviveSync....

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Hmm, can the code be adapted to other GPUs?
        Seems like it could be a nice addition directly into gamescope if possible

Also, it's a shame even the SteamDeck desn't support AdaptaviveSync....
        This would certainly be nice, this is a major reason I decided not to reccomend it whole heartedly, or save up to get one myself

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          You're really missing out. The difference is not subtle. Of course those products without adaptive sync are going to cost a few dollars less, you have to pay to play. Better to save up a little longer and buy for quality, rather than focus on budget/sale items.
          Except that *high-end* displays don't support it either, so it's actually the people who do pay who can't play.

> But yeah, if you're a gamer and you don't have adaptive sync, that's a crummy experience here in 2022.

meh, not really. However, adaptive sync *is* great, overall - and now we don't have to worry about the "shakes" that CRTs had < 75Hz.
          So now we just need OLED displays to halve in price at least twice, return to a 16:10 ratio, come with lifetime free replacement for burnt-out panel, and we'll finally have decent monitors again for the first time in ~20 years.

Comment

Working...
          X