Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Open-Source Vulkan Driver For Ray-Tracing Gets "Like A 100x Improvement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    Expect Intel to be rushing this patch into a reviewers hands pronto. I am surprised none of the game devs spotted that.
    I haven't seen any reviewers or game devs testing linux, only windows.

Comment

Originally posted by akarypid View Post
      A deviously clever developer omitted that flag on purpose, to get the rest of the team to optimize the hell out of the rest of the code.

Suddenly you fix this just before release and it's like taking off the breaks from a well-tuned machine, ready to rock'n'roll...
      This made me laugh so hard

Comment

Originally posted by akarypid View Post
        A deviously clever developer omitted that flag on purpose, to get the rest of the team to optimize the hell out of the rest of the code.
        Presumably, they have profilers and other sorts of instrumentation to guide their efforts. I'm sure they've simply got too much code for a scatter-shot optimization approach to amount to much. I've fixed too many blatant inefficiencies that had no measurable impact not to know better than to optimize blindly.

This is quite likely just a case of Linux Vulkan/RT performance just receiving little attention, due to having a low priority relative to what's actually limiting the games & features people will benchmark on launch day.

Comment

Working...
        X