Intel ISPC 1.17 Compiler Released With Xe HPG, PS5 & AMD Zen Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel ISPC 1.17 Compiler Released With Xe HPG, PS5 & AMD Zen Support

Phoronix: Intel ISPC 1.17 Compiler Released With Xe HPG, PS5 & AMD Zen Support

Intel ended out the week with a huge update to ISPC, the Intel Implicit SPMD Program Compiler. ISPC is Intel's LLVM-based compiler focused on its C variant with extensions for single program, multiple data (SPMD) programming. Interestingly with this release is the introduction of AMD Zen 1/2/3 targeting and even the PlayStation 5 while also adding support for forthcoming Intel Arc "Alchemist" (Xe HPG) hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... does this mean ISPC is on the Phoronix benching todo list?

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
      So... does this mean ISPC is on the Phoronix benching todo list?
      When looking last into it, couldn't find any public robust set of codes useful for benchmarking ISPC for performance comparisons.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ah I misinterpreted. I see this isn't really a generic C/C++ compiler, but one for an Intel extension.

It would be neat if Intel somehow upstreamed these C extensions and compiler optimizations.

Comment

It would be neat if Intel somehow upstreamed these C extensions and compiler optimizations.
          The article says it's LLVM-based, right in the second sentence. I'd assume they already have upstreamed their changes, since IIRC they typically do so with other LLVM-based compiler tools.

As for LLVM's C extensions, I think that's not for Intel to decide. If they upstreamed the optimizations and backend support, then the groundwork is there, at least.

Comment

Ah I misinterpreted. I see this isn't really a generic C/C++ compiler, but one for an Intel extension.

It's a different language, not an extension. It's "C-like", but much closer to GLSL or HLSL than to C.

That said, I would be really happy if it were upstreamed and maintained as part of LLVM, so that platform specific SDKs that use LLVM could automatically offer support for it.

Comment

Working...
            X