X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elect
    replied
    OT: Welcome to Italy

Plz take in account that Berlusconi is an idiot and some of us are NOT like him

Leave a comment:

• Eragon
    replied
    Isn?t having a Free Software video card driver just great?

I am so happy Nvidia provides decent,if closed-source, drivers. They actually WORK. That?s most important, I?d figure

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Oh yes and as others have mentioned are you absolutely sure that it's an Intel driver issue? If so how did you pin point the problem?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Have you submitted a bug report on either Launchpad or on freedesktop.org's bugzilla.

It seems a bit harsh using an article to effectively bash Intel. Especially considering it's Ubuntu's choice what driver version is shipped. It would be interesting to see if the same behaviour existed for their new 2.7 driver

Mike

Leave a comment:

• laurencevde
    replied
    You're using an OCZ core V2. They're notorious for "locking" up when writing small amounts of data. Use btrfs as your filesystem(in ssd-mode). That'll fix things.

Leave a comment:

• joolz
    replied
    This is not Intel specific. You are all experiencing this bug:
    Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.22 When compared with 2.6.15 in feisty, heavy disk I/O causes increased iowait times and affects desktop responsiveness in 2.6.22 this appears to be a regression from 2.6.15 where iowait is much lower and desktop responsiveness is unaffected with the same I/O load Easy to reproduce with tracker - index the same set of files with 2.6.15 kernel and 2.6.22 kernel and the difference in desktop responsiveness is massive I have not confirmed if a non-tracke...

Leave a comment:

• grege
    replied
    Originally posted by maccam94 View Post
    That sounds like a different issue then. The regression mentioned in the article is specific only to certain Intel gpus. The cause is likely the update from Mesa 7.3 to 7.4. The symptoms are different from what you describe. I will frequently hear audio files continue to play smoothly, and the computer seems to continue to operate, however the screen freezes (except for the mouse).
    Worth a try though. My EeePC has an Intel GPU. Also I had random screen freezes with 8.10, always associated with frantic disk activity. We are talking Netbooks here with solid state drives. A switch to ext2 seems to have fixed that. If using ext4 it is probably worth turning off journalising.

All I am suggesting is to not assume it is the Intel video driver, it may be, but other issues can be at fault.

cheers
    Last edited by grege; 22 April 2009, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TobiasTheViking
    replied
    Originally posted by maccam94 View Post
    I haven't had crashes with UXA, but it doesn't seem to resolve the freezing issue either.
    Sorry, i meant freezing, not crashing, fixed my post

Leave a comment:

• maccam94
    replied
    Originally posted by grege View Post
    I have 9.04 on my EeePC 900 (Celeron) and do not have the symptoms you report. But I did until I stopped the indexing daemon. By running the System Monitor I searched for the reason my mp3 playback kept having glitches. The system was often hitting 100% CPU usage. I went into System -> Preferences -> Search and Indexing. The box for Enable Indexing was not ticked, yet the system monitor said the daemon was running. So I enabled it, then disabled it. I also tried fiddled the settings for Resource usage, selecting Minimise Memory Usage. Anyhow, turning on indexing then turning it off again did the trick and now it runs smoothly.
    That sounds like a different issue then. The regression mentioned in the article is specific only to certain Intel gpus. The cause is likely the update from Mesa 7.3 to 7.4. The symptoms are different from what you describe. I will frequently hear audio files continue to play smoothly, and the computer seems to continue to operate, however the screen freezes (except for the mouse).

Leave a comment:

• grege
    replied
    I have 9.04 on my EeePC 900 (Celeron) and do not have the symptoms you report. But I did until I stopped the indexing daemon. By running the System Monitor I searched for the reason my mp3 playback kept having glitches. The system was often hitting 100% CPU usage. I went into System -> Preferences -> Search and Indexing. The box for Enable Indexing was not ticked, yet the system monitor said the daemon was running. So I enabled it, then disabled it. I also tried fiddled the settings for Resource usage, selecting Minimise Memory Usage. Anyhow, turning on indexing then turning it off again did the trick and now it runs smoothly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X