Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susikala
    replied
    This article seems a bit biased against Intel. Give it a few days, weeks, or use the older version if you want it to run stable. Jaunty is still fresh, and even when it's rolled out, I wouldn't expect it to run perfectly on each and every computer. Give it maybe even a month, I say.

(Well, I'm being a bit biased myself since I'm riding Jaunty since 3 days after Intrepid was released and I haven't experienced real issues.)

But yeah, all in all, in the Linux landscape, AMD and Intel are the good guys, and we all know who is evil. XD

Leave a comment:

• greg
    replied
    It is indeed bad. EXA is terribly slow, UXA is faster, but still slow, and unstable even with 2.7.0. OpenGL gets unacceptably slow with DRI2.

With minor changes, the old driver release 2.4.3 works. This release with XAA still provides the best 2D performance. I'll probably make a package for Ubuntu. However, 3D/OpenGL performance still is quite bad. Looks like Mesa is full of regressions as well.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by joffe View Post
    Wait, WHAT?

Isn't Intel supposed to have the good graphics driver? Isn't NVIDIA and ATI supposed to be crappy?

I guess I'll be keeping Windows XP on my NC10 for the time being then..
    As far as I know Intel has the best OS graphic drivers. Try another version if this one won't work as expected. Grab livecd and check it!

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Sorry to hear that Michael. If you happen to be anywhere near Milan, I can provide you with whatever linux distro you need. Let me know

Leave a comment:

• olskar
    replied
    And they actually will release Ubuntu 9.04 with this major problem? Sounds like a bad joke..

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Unless you update your xorg-server or anything else in the Xorg stack

Also say good bye to KMS goodness

Really? Hmmm, guess I'll go yell at my comp for allowing the blobs to work with the latest official xorg-server.

KMS doesn't do a whole hell of a lot if your experiencing driver issues.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Michael:
    That's bad, but write bug reports and try with git versions and help the devs fixing the bugs!

Leave a comment:

• joffe
    replied
    Wait, WHAT?

Isn't Intel supposed to have the good graphics driver? Isn't NVIDIA and ATI supposed to be crappy?

I guess I'll be keeping Windows XP on my NC10 for the time being then..

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by Eragon View Post
    Isn?t having a Free Software video card driver just great?

I am so happy Nvidia provides decent,if closed-source, drivers. They actually WORK. That?s most important, I?d figure
    Unless you update your xorg-server or anything else in the Xorg stack

Also say good bye to KMS goodness

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    To quote Doomworld about crappy DooM WAD files:

"They should not have released."

I think the same goes for the intel xf86-video-intel development. I doubt the developers hadn't seen the regression. So why release? Unless a drivers is at least halfway decent one should not make a public release. Imagine the pain and horror you bring over the world, esp. when unexperienced user get in contact with that. We have seen that on KDE <4.2.x - but which was definitely declared as a non-user release - and people went crazy over it when it didn't work like KDE 3.5.x. But these drivers don't seem to have a mark "staging, experimental or dontuse" so I wonder why that code is put in the public.
    I really hope that distributors of precompiled distributions will see the signs and step back to older releases which just workend. Rather kick some new chips (and have VESA for them, even if it sucks, too) than putting a broken driver to all users.

I mean, I don't have a single intel video card (chipset) here but it sounds the same like the issue with some VIA stuff. Delay when typing, short timeframe of inaccessibility of system when something bigger is going on, freezes,... so I can feel the horror.
    What makes me wonder why intel drivers are that bad since intel is a big big player on the market with their hands directly on the hardware and compare to the VIA side with the small openchrome team (which just received specs for the chips). From that p.o.v. intel should have done better.

PS, OT
    Originally posted by elect View Post
    Plz take in account that Berlusconi is an idiot and some of us are NOT like him
    Ah, good to read! I still wonder how that strange guy manages to get in charge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X