Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

This.

Now that it looks like HEDT is a long ways out for Intel and AMD both... I may just go with the Ryzen refresh that's supposed to be out early 2022 to replace my aging 10980xe. At least I'll be able to get get memory for it.
    I find it hysterical that you consider the 10980xe "aging"?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I find it hysterical that you consider the 10980xe "aging"?
      It's just about 2 years old and still on the ancient 14 nm node process. I'd say it's fairly old.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Dude, are you serious? 7% is about the improvement you get from a new generation of cpu these days. You think 7% is nothing? People replace their cpus for 7% more performance, which is more costly than just more expensive RAM.... I am amazed that people often write things like these without context. 7% is nothing to scoff at. And we are talking about people who are willing to buy a brand new expensive cpu model, i am sure there are no mainstream cpu models from the Alder Lake lineup up right now....

I am sorry, but what i said still applies. People who are willing to pay hundreds upon hundreds of euros/dollars for a cpu, won't scoff at 7% performance improvement on average from more expensive RAM. And while you may think this difference is only found in benchmarks and such, never forget that reviewers don't benchmark everything, present and future. Synthetics are being done for a reason: They can show the full potential of a cpu without having to search every single project in existence to test.
        I'm obviously serious since I have already ordered a 12600k to pair with my DDR4-3600 kit. I have a hard time believing anyone other than measurbators upgrade for a 7% gain, since that's something you can't actually feel. What does 7% mean? Going from 100 to 107fps? Going from 20 to 21.4? What difference does that make?
        Personally, I don't upgrade for less than a 20% jump.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

It's just about 2 years old and still on the ancient 14 nm node process. I'd say it's fairly old.
          No it is not. Even by 90s standards, 2 years were not that long of a time to actually call a cpu "old". In 2021, when cpu improvements year by year are miniscule, calling a 2 year old processor "old" is just bragging online about your spending habits. There is no task your "old" cpu can't perform. It is not like Alder Lake is going to make a considerable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm obviously serious since I have already ordered a 12600k to pair with my DDR4-3600 kit. I have a hard time believing anyone other than measurbators upgrade for a 7% gain, since that's something you can't actually feel. What does 7% mean? Going from 100 to 107fps? Going from 20 to 21.4? What difference does that make?
            Personally, I don't upgrade for less than a 20% jump.
            7% is close to yearly gains by each cpu generation. It essentially buys you close to 1 year more of an upgrade. Hardly something to dismiss. All i see is a person you already bought DDR4 RAM and fights tooth and nail in a forum to justify his purchase to feel better about himself. It is ok, your cpu will still function and do your tasks, no need to worry. But telling others that buying a brand new Alder Lake plus a new expensive mobo shouldn't be paired with getting DDR5 just because 7% better average performance is not needed, is bad advice created by your insecurity and not by logic and facts. One who in November 2021 pays several hundred euros for a cpu and also a lot of money for a new mobo, wouldn't need to be a cheapskate on RAM. Right now only high end cpus and mobos are on sale anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

7% is close to yearly gains by each cpu generation. It essentially buys you close to 1 year more of an upgrade. Hardly something to dismiss. All i see is a person you already bought DDR4 RAM and fights tooth and nail in a forum to justify his purchase to feel better about himself. It is ok, your cpu will still function and do your tasks, no need to worry. But telling others that buying a brand new Alder Lake plus a new expensive mobo shouldn't be paired with getting DDR5 just because 7% better average performance is not needed, is bad advice created by your insecurity and not by logic and facts. One who in November 2021 pays several hundred euros for a cpu and also a lot of money for a new mobo, wouldn't need to be a cheapskate on RAM. Right now only high end cpus and mobos are on sale anyway.
              This may be hard for you to imagine, but I routinely skip more than one CPU generation. I honestly do not care about 7%, it's just not good investment.

To me, you sound like someone fighting tooth an nail to find flaws in AL and somehow fixates on a supposed need for DDR5, because that's expensive right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

This may be hard for you to imagine, but I routinely skip more than one CPU generation. I honestly do not care about 7%, it's just not good investment.
                I agree with that in general, but I do think it's worthwhile to note that Intel is marketing ADL pretty heavily towards gamers, and they are precisely the target audience that does care about that kind of stuff. They're likely already on Zen 3 processors and updating to ADL may only be a 7% jump in total for them, so getting DDR5 support is likely to be a priority for them.

For the people who aren't upgrading constantly, it's definitely less of a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I agree with that in general, but I do think it's worthwhile to note that Intel is marketing ADL pretty heavily towards gamers, and they are precisely the target audience that does care about that kind of stuff. They're likely already on Zen 3 processors and updating to ADL may only be a 7% jump in total for them, so getting DDR5 support is likely to be a priority for them.

For the people who aren't upgrading constantly, it's definitely less of a priority.
                  Like I said before, 7% means going from 100 to 107 fps or going from 20 to 21.4 fps. That earn no competitive advantage. You get better ROI from a better binned CPU that overclocks a little higher.

And I'm not saying there's no one that would need those extra 7%. I'm just saying there's big difference between finding a niche of users that do need that extra juice and flat out decreeing Alder Lake makes no sense without DDR5.

Edit: Plus, that 7% in an average, mostly influenced by number crunching and compression, for games the difference is lower than that.
                  Last edited by bug77; 23 November 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X