Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Begins Offering Ubuntu Images Optimized For Intel CPUs

Phoronix: Canonical Begins Offering Ubuntu Images Optimized For Intel CPUs

Canonical has begun publishing Ubuntu install images that are optimized for use on next-generation Intel IoT platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe Canonical can cooperate with the Clear Linux project.

Comment

I clicked all the way through to the release notes and I still can't figure out what -march= these images are actually built for. It's just a bunch of marketing faff. What the hell, Canonical?

Not to mention, core 11th gen is extremely recent. Why don't they target x86-64-v3 like Clear does, and cover most relatively modern computers?

Comment

This is extremely interesting and a good move on Canonical's part! If Apple can do it for M1 chips I'd certainly like to see more x86 optimization happen.

Comment

So they optimized distro for new processors. What about old processors, for example Atom Z8300? They are still widely used and even sold despite being old. Actually I tried Clear Linux on such processor maybe 2 years ago and it launched, but GNOME ate all the performance. Not sure how (or will) it work today.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            So they optimized distro for new processors. What about old processors, for example Atom Z8300? They are still widely used and even sold despite being old. Actually I tried Clear Linux on such processor maybe 2 years ago and it launched, but GNOME ate all the performance. Not sure how (or will) it work today.
            As noted in the release this is targeted at ioT devices which usually dispenses with the GUI.

Clear Linux on the Atom Z runs just fine without a GUI involved. The GUI just makes the CPU constantly heat throttle, worse with Windows.

This was a year ago, so I am not sure how well it has held up.

Comment

Hi, I have an Intel Celeron N3050 laptop, does this benefit me in some way or this Celeron N are another thing? thanks in advise.

Comment

The URLs for apt look normal on that image
                Code:
                cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal main restricted universe
                deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe
                deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-updates main restricted universe
                The kernel name is different

Code:
                ls -1 /usr/lib/modules
                5.13.0-1007-intel
                and looks to be installable on any system with the linux-image-intel package (1 of 16 kernel packages Ubuntu is offering for 20.04).
                Last edited by elatllat; 02 November 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tian View Post
                  Hi, I have an Intel Celeron N3050 laptop, does this benefit me in some way or this Celeron N are another thing? thanks in advise.
                  This will not help you. This new build is for newer generations of Celeron N than the CPU in your system.

Comment

Originally posted by KesZerda View Post

This will not help you. This new build is for newer generations of Celeron N than the CPU in your system.
                    a truly shame

Comment

Working...
                    X