X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jorgepl
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

As noted in the release this is targeted at ioT devices which usually dispenses with the GUI.

Clear Linux on the Atom Z runs just fine without a GUI involved. The GUI just makes the CPU constantly heat throttle, worse with Windows.

This was a year ago, so I am not sure how well it has held up.
    You mean it was worse on Windows than Linux? I have a z8350 laptop with Windows 10 which is just unusable. I wonder if Linux (ubuntu 22 or Fedora 36) would make it better...

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by yump View Post
    One of the biggest problems with Internet Of Shit devices is that they never get security patches. Cross compiling with -march is easy. Cross compiling with -march and distributing the packages over the internet and keeping up with it for the next 5-10 years is difficult.
    That is an excellent point. I don't share your optimism over how/why you think that will change as a result of this, since 99% of IoS devices require full FIRMWARE builds to change anything rather than just kernel updates, not to mention testing, and those are entirely dependent on the manufacturer - but you could be right to some extent: it might mean *an* extra update happens for a small fraction of those devices, and every little helps.

Leave a comment:

• yump
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post
    Wow.

If you're shipping an Internet Of Shit device and you aren't already doing custom kernel builds, you're not clearing even the lowest bar in what's already the deepest cesspool of bottom-tier products. I can't even imagine just how bad the rest of the software on these things is if complexities like cross-compiling with -march are too much for the developers to cope with.

Hopefully all the "partnerships" (or whatever the current marketing speak for this sort of this is) that come out of this will be announced loudly enough that we know which vendors to avoid. I mean, good for Canonical - the more money they make, the better it is for all of us - but, eesh...
    One of the biggest problems with Internet Of Shit devices is that they never get security patches. Cross compiling with -march is easy. Cross compiling with -march and distributing the packages over the internet and keeping up with it for the next 5-10 years is difficult.

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Wow.

If you're shipping an Internet Of Shit device and you aren't already doing custom kernel builds, you're not clearing even the lowest bar in what's already the deepest cesspool of bottom-tier products. I can't even imagine just how bad the rest of the software on these things is if complexities like cross-compiling with -march are too much for the developers to cope with.

Hopefully all the "partnerships" (or whatever the current marketing speak for this sort of this is) that come out of this will be announced loudly enough that we know which vendors to avoid. I mean, good for Canonical - the more money they make, the better it is for all of us - but, eesh...

Leave a comment:

• Tian
    replied
    Originally posted by KesZerda View Post

This will not help you. This new build is for newer generations of Celeron N than the CPU in your system.
    a truly shame

Leave a comment:

• KesZerda
    replied
    Originally posted by Tian View Post
    Hi, I have an Intel Celeron N3050 laptop, does this benefit me in some way or this Celeron N are another thing? thanks in advise.
    This will not help you. This new build is for newer generations of Celeron N than the CPU in your system.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    The URLs for apt look normal on that image
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal main restricted universe
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-updates main restricted universe
    The kernel name is different

Code:
    ls -1 /usr/lib/modules
    5.13.0-1007-intel
    and looks to be installable on any system with the linux-image-intel package (1 of 16 kernel packages Ubuntu is offering for 20.04).
    Last edited by elatllat; 02 November 2021, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tian
    replied
    Hi, I have an Intel Celeron N3050 laptop, does this benefit me in some way or this Celeron N are another thing? thanks in advise.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    So they optimized distro for new processors. What about old processors, for example Atom Z8300? They are still widely used and even sold despite being old. Actually I tried Clear Linux on such processor maybe 2 years ago and it launched, but GNOME ate all the performance. Not sure how (or will) it work today.
    As noted in the release this is targeted at ioT devices which usually dispenses with the GUI.

Clear Linux on the Atom Z runs just fine without a GUI involved. The GUI just makes the CPU constantly heat throttle, worse with Windows.

This was a year ago, so I am not sure how well it has held up.

Leave a comment:

• V1tol
    replied
    So they optimized distro for new processors. What about old processors, for example Atom Z8300? They are still widely used and even sold despite being old. Actually I tried Clear Linux on such processor maybe 2 years ago and it launched, but GNOME ate all the performance. Not sure how (or will) it work today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X