Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches 11th Gen Core H-Series "Tiger Lake H"

Phoronix: Intel Launches 11th Gen Core H-Series "Tiger Lake H"

Intel today is announcing their 11th Gen Core H-Series "Tiger Lake H" mobile processors that features SKUs clocking up to a 5.0GHz turbo frequency and twenty lanes of PCI Express Gen 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix

The Core i9 11980HK is an eight core / sixteen thread part with 2.6GHz base clock frequency and 4.0GHz single/dual-core turbo frequency. The max all-core turbo frequency is 4.5GHz for this 45 Watt TDP part.
    That should be 5.0GHz.

Comment

"Intel's top-end Core i9 11980HK model is reported by the company to outperform AMD's Ryzen 9 5900HX by 11% to 26% in various (Windows) games."

With the IGPU? Sure, DG? No... TGL is too far behind amd in power efficiency numbers, in single core workloads, the mobile 5000 amd chps hits 4.5Ghz at a peak of 15w, while a TGL requeres 30w 4.8Ghz, and they score mostl the same. There is a huge efficiency gap between these process nodes, and amd is still on 7nm, with avaiable 6 and 5. 6nm is a drop in upgrade path.

Comment

Meanwhile big OEMs are still selling gen-8 Skylake CPUs in their products because the price and performance are still compelling and "good enough" for the vast majority of users. There better be something more compelling to Tiger Lake than the benchmark scores with no realistic comparisons and over-hyped 'security' they're pushing with PR, or they're going to continue looking like a creaky dinosaur both in the PC tower and the server room.

Comment

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
          "intel's top-end core i9 11980hk model is reported by the company to outperform amd's ryzen 9 5900hx by 11% to 26% in various (windows) games."

with the igpu? Sure, dg? No... Tgl is too far behind amd in power efficiency numbers, in single core workloads, the mobile 5000 amd chps hits 4.5ghz at a peak of 15w, while a tgl requeres 30w 4.8ghz, and they score mostl the same. There is a huge efficiency gap between these process nodes, and amd is still on 7nm, with avaiable 6 and 5. 6nm is a drop in upgrade path.
          ahahahahahahahaha

Comment

It's very exciting to see Intel equipping i5 with 6C/12T.

Comment

20% lead over ZEN3 in gaming is a bit suspicious. Something is going on there, power-related most likely. Either way, looks like a decent CPUs. They should have released them in the desktop too instead that Rocket Lake garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                It's very exciting to see Intel equipping i5 with 6C/12T.
                AMD and ARM aren't giving them a choice. Between those two companies developers and end users alike are used to 6c+ systems.

I kind of wish AMD would go into OpenPOWER. When Raptors start around two large while still needing a case and ram....they clearly need some healthy competition.

Comment

I don't care about ICL and TGL power consumption too much but what I care about is bloody DPTF which breaks things left and right, including for Windows users. There are literally thousands of threads on the internet from people complaining that due to DPTF their performance is subpar and DPTF is not even available for Linux in any shape or form. Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.

Now I'm awaiting Volta with a new portion of insults against me.

What a weird Intel shill I am, publicly disparaging the company and its practices.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.
                    You aren't wrong. I find it very curious that the more we make gains with free software, the more that it seems the cpus are being built to restrict us and work against us.

It's as if the WinTel anti-trust practices of the 1990s and early 2000s never stopped, they just re-spawned in a variety of different forms. Quite the coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X