Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indignation
    replied
    I'm a little late, but just want to express my disappointment that the new processors will come with worse integrated graphics (compared to the 96EU Intel Iris Xe). This basically means I'll have to go for a laptop with the proprietary nvidia garbage drivers, or with the older, low-core processors...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Yes, the windows defender is quite lightweight. But it often run in the background with other processes. Try to let the task manager open while doing your work, you'll see magic. Luckily you use nvme. If one using hdd with windows 10.. God bless him/her.
    Haha, yeah, HDDs are painful. Have spare Arch Linux install on a HDD for rescue purposes, it's ridiculously painful. Need to move that to a USB flash drive.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I don't have any of that BS, I just use Windows Defender since it's lightweight and good enough, Chrome isn't allowed to run in the background, and I haven't installed Adobe yet.
    Yes, the windows defender is quite lightweight. But it often run in the background with other processes. Try to let the task manager open while doing your work, you'll see magic. Luckily you use nvme. If one using hdd with windows 10.. God bless him/her.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I don't care about ICL and TGL power consumption too much but what I care about is bloody DPTF which breaks things left and right, including for Windows users. There are literally thousands of threads on the internet from people complaining that due to DPTF their performance is subpar and DPTF is not even available for Linux in any shape or form. Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.

Now I'm awaiting Volta with a new portion of insults against me.

What a weird Intel shill I am, publicly disparaging the company and its practices.
    Yeah, I hope it's possible to enable MSR access with a simple kernel config change, as long as I don't have to go make code changes to get back userspace MSR access.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Don't forget that in windows land, the background processes are a-plenty. Antivirus that will turn on when there's something happening, optimizing windows, memory optimatization, search for updates, chrome-firefox-adobe-and the likes that all have background process, etc.. etc.. Try windows 7 without that kind of BS. It's blazing fast.
    I don't have any of that BS, I just use Windows Defender since it's lightweight and good enough, Chrome isn't allowed to run in the background, and I haven't installed Adobe yet.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Hm, I have seen rather bad performance on Windows. On my laptop here with an i5-6200U, Windows is kind of laggy, while Linux (GNOME on Wayland) is fast. And this is on an NVME SSD. Windows aggressively sets the performance to the lowest state, but can't actually perform well at that low state, while Linux is fine on lower frequencies.
    Don't forget that in windows land, the background processes are a-plenty. Antivirus that will turn on when there's something happening, optimizing windows, memory optimatization, search for updates, chrome-firefox-adobe-and the likes that all have background process, etc.. etc.. Try windows 7 without that kind of BS. It's blazing fast.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I don't care about ICL and TGL power consumption too much but what I care about is bloody DPTF which breaks things left and right, including for Windows users. There are literally thousands of threads on the internet from people complaining that due to DPTF their performance is subpar and DPTF is not even available for Linux in any shape or form. Why has power managerment become a proprietary technology requiring support from an OS is beyond me. Why Intel, why? Not to mention that Intel made it impossible to configure low-level power settings for TGL CPUs under Windows. Under Linux it's even worse as Linux developers disabled access to MSR in the name of "security" and "stability". And TGL results under Linux in the absence of DPTF are abysmal: 40% slower in MT mode than under Windows. And if you start blabbering about AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs - they have pretty much the same issue under Linux as under Windows they perform a lot better, sometimes substantially better.

Now I'm awaiting Volta with a new portion of insults against me.

What a weird Intel shill I am, publicly disparaging the company and its practices.
    Hm, I have seen rather bad performance on Windows. On my laptop here with an i5-6200U, Windows is kind of laggy, while Linux (GNOME on Wayland) is fast. And this is on an NVME SSD. Windows aggressively sets the performance to the lowest state, but can't actually perform well at that low state, while Linux is fine on lower frequencies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
    20% lead over ZEN3 in gaming is a bit suspicious. Something is going on there, power-related most likely. Either way, looks like a decent CPUs. They should have released them in the desktop too instead that Rocket Lake garbage.
    Have you actually seen Zen 3 CPU power usage? I mean actual power usage. Even the mobile chips use up quite a bit of power. Zen 3 H-series has 35 W TDP which is only for base frequency all-core, actual full turbo speeds uses up way more than 35 W, and AMD CPUs can't even reach the specified turbo speeds on all cores.............

They're literally using liquid metal TIM on some of these gaming laptops, because of how hot they are......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Meanwhile big OEMs are still selling gen-8 Skylake CPUs in their products because the price and performance are still compelling and "good enough" for the vast majority of users. There better be something more compelling to Tiger Lake than the benchmark scores with no realistic comparisons and over-hyped 'security' they're pushing with PR, or they're going to continue looking like a creaky dinosaur both in the PC tower and the server room.
    It's a new core architecture and 10 nm, performance and power efficiency is definitely much better than the 8-series........

And duh, for normal person's use, older CPUs are more than fast enough. Why do you think newer, faster CPUs would offer anything compelling for typical desktop users, who just browse the web and watch videos?

Tigerlake does have AV1 decode though, so that's a good incentive, but typical desktop users don't know what that means, so they're not going to bother until their 1080p/4K 60 FPS AV1 videos start stuttering and they think "time to get a new computer".

Edit: Also the vast majority of users don't even know what CPU their computer is running, or how much RAM it has. All they do is use it, and say "it's slow", "it's really fast", or "works well enough for me".

I mean, there's a reason people switch from HDD laptop, to Mac with an SSD and think "Oh wow, Mac is so fast and awesome, PC sucks!" because they don't know anything technical about the computers they're using.
    Last edited by Guest; 13 May 2021, 03:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
    "Intel's top-end Core i9 11980HK model is reported by the company to outperform AMD's Ryzen 9 5900HX by 11% to 26% in various (Windows) games."

With the IGPU? Sure, DG? No... TGL is too far behind amd in power efficiency numbers, in single core workloads, the mobile 5000 amd chps hits 4.5Ghz at a peak of 15w, while a TGL requeres 30w 4.8Ghz, and they score mostl the same. There is a huge efficiency gap between these process nodes, and amd is still on 7nm, with avaiable 6 and 5. 6nm is a drop in upgrade path.
    False. TDP for both Intel and AMD is at base frequency only with all cores/threads. Anything beyond that uses more power than specified TDP.

Also, Ryzen can't actually reach that specified turbo frequency on all cores, infact it's only guaranteed to reach that turbo frequency on a single core - see https://www.anandtech.com/show/14873...ncy-metrics-/3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X