Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Bus Lock Detection Merged For Linux 5.13

Phoronix: Intel Bus Lock Detection Merged For Linux 5.13

Intel's code for Linux kernel bus lock detection that works in conjunction with newer Intel CPUs has landed in the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which are "newer" CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
      Which are "newer" CPUs?
      Ugh. New enough that the CPUID references I checked still show that bit as RESERVED. Intel docs should say, but I can't be bothered to find those and search them for the sake of idle curiosity.

Anyway, it's safe to assume we're talking about one of the 10 nm CPUs.

Comment

Anyway, the description in the article did more to confuse than inform me, so I checked the patch and here's the most enlightening part of the description:

Newer CPUs provide a second mechanism to detect operations with lock
        prefix which go accross a cache line boundary. Such operations have to
        take bus lock which causes a system wide performance degradation when
        these operations happen frequently.

The new mechanism is not using the #AC exception. It triggers #DB and is
        restricted to operations in user space. Kernel side split lock access can
        only be detected by the #AC based variant. Contrary to the #AC based
        mechanism the #DB based variant triggers _after_ the instruction was
        executed. The mechanism is CPUID enumerated and contrary to the #AC
        version which is based on the magic TEST_CTRL_MSR and model/family based
        enumeration on the way to become architectural.

The #DB feature is referring to:

Code:
        #define X86_FEATURE_BUS_LOCK_DETECT (16*32+24) /* Bus Lock detect */

...which is easier to find, if you know that it's just 10 bits above VPOPCNTDQ (which all the CPUID references I checked did have).

Comment

BTW, for those who are still in the dark. "operations with lock prefix which go across a cache line boundary" is referring to a CPU instruction that performs some sort of read-modify-write operation that cannot be interrupted, such as atomically adding 1 to the value at a certain memory address. These form the basis of thread synchronization, in multiprocessor systems, and their efficiency increasingly affects system performance, as CPU core counts scale ever higher.

A split-lock happens when the data being operated on, by one of these instructions, isn't entirely contained within a single cacheline. When that happens, the CPU core executing the instruction has to do additional work to get & hold exclusive ownership of both cachelines. The suggestion of a "bus lock" implies that it blocks memory bus operations on other cores, as well, which could be seriously detrimental to overall system performance.

In newer CPU ISAs (e.g. AArch64, RISC V), they could take the view that this is illegal and avoid having to handle it by just forcing your program to crash. However, because some older x86 CPUs allowed it, newer ones would break coveted backwards-compatibility if they didn't support it.

Sorry if I oversimplified anything. I hope that helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            BTW, for those who are still in the dark. "operations with lock prefix which go across a cache line boundary" is referring to a CPU instruction that performs some sort of read-modify-write operation that cannot be interrupted, such as atomically adding 1 to the value at a certain memory address. These form the basis of thread synchronization, in multiprocessor systems, and their efficiency increasingly affects system performance, as CPU core counts scale ever higher.

A split-lock happens when the data being operated on, by one of these instructions, isn't entirely contained within a single cacheline. When that happens, the CPU core executing the instruction has to do additional work to get & hold exclusive ownership of both cachelines. The suggestion of a "bus lock" implies that it blocks memory bus operations on other cores, as well, which could be seriously detrimental to overall system performance.

In newer CPU ISAs (e.g. AArch64, RISC V), they could take the view that this is illegal and avoid having to handle it by just forcing your program to crash. However, because some older x86 CPUs allowed it, newer ones would break coveted backwards-compatibility if they didn't support it.

That's a very nice, concise and easy to understand explanation. Honestly, thank you for that.

I'm not surprised at all to see such a thing be engineered for x86 particularly for "backward compatubility". x86 along with Windows are old, legacy tech hobbled by big firms still stuck with code from the 80s and an operational mentality to boot that needs such backwards compatibility. Thank God _ or insert diety or no diety of choice_a lot if not most of that crap is being shunted to a container and run on an ARM based cloud such as AWS or Google. Still, though, too many on prem servers needing legacy x86 cores to run legacy software still exists.

As far as your observation that as far as "new Intel cpus" having this split lock probably being "10nm" cpus is also probably correct. Which means...<chuckle>...it's not that many Intel cpus.

Comment

FWIW, I had to set
              Code:
              split_lock_detect=off
              otherwise both Chrome and VMWare would OOPS.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post

All hail x86 !

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
                  FWIW, I had to set
                  Code:
                  split_lock_detect=off
                  otherwise both Chrome and VMWare would OOPS.
                  It could be due to a 3rd party library, in one or both cases.

Honestly, I expect modern compilers are probably good at warning about unaligned atomics. So, that further suggests it's not 1st party code in Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                    All hail x86 !
                    Meh, it is what it is.

I doubt most of us using it are doing so for more than pragmatic reasons. I won't mind leaving it behind, when it's practical for me to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X