Intel Provides Update On 7nm, New US Fabs, "Intel On" Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Intel trash talking AMD's "glued" together chiplets, right up until Intel announced they'd be doing the same.
    Like intel did with this core 2 quad https://preview.redd.it/ej7qfrf114k1...260c98f8ee0a5b so many years ago. Gluing two Core 2 Duo together makes one Core 2 Quad.

Comment

I don't care what nm Intel is on. I just want them to fix their hardware security holes. That is all that matters in my opinion. Any computer these days is plenty fast enough. It's security where we've got serious problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Is there any reason why does Intel take forever with 7nm and why are the other brands ahead of Intel?

Are they trying to achieve true 7nm (as in very tiny spacing) or something?
        Truth be told, Intel's 7nm is smaller than others' 7nm... It has always been the case. The way other foundries name their process nodes can be a little misleading. Intel's way is one of the few times that Intel marketing is actually more honest than the competition marketing.

I personally hope for Intel to bring some needed competition to the APU/dGPU space. With the pricing of gpus these days, the lack of worthwhile budget/mainstream options, and AMD's unwillingness to truly innovate in the APU area and provide gaming APUs, my only hope to get a gpu upgrade anytime soon at a non-ridiculous price is Intel, since i want to use Mesa.
        Last edited by TemplarGR; 24 March 2021, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Intel has had a strategy of "slag off (sorry, "trash talk") the opposition" for at least two decades. Then they usually end up quietly doing exactly what they were criticising a few years earlier and calling it novel. Just in my memory was throwing (metaphorical) stones at AMD and Cyrix versus the Pentium, then it was short-pipelines-better with the Pentium III, which morphed into GHz-is-God for the Pentium 4 (let us not forget RAMBUS memory, either...) the constant back-and-forth with split-dies-on-the-front-side-bus and monolithic-better, FSB is fine or QPI better, where they have held both positions depending on what their architecture at the time used and what AMD used, integrated memory controllers, Itanium, 64-bit-doesn't-matter, on-die graphics, ultra-specific extensions of instruction sets, lithography...

It's not like AMD has been entirely innocent from this either (it's a sad fact that in most businesses if your competitors play dirty, you have to as well simply to survive) but Intel has really made it an art.

So, anyway, I'll believe the release of Intel 7nm CPUs when I can actually walk into a shop and buy one.
          Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 24 March 2021, 07:02 AM. Reason: Clarified British-ism.

Comment

The whole "Intel 7nm is smaller than TSMCs 7nm" is absolutely moot, because TSMCs 7nm is available NOW, and has been since last year, while Intel's 2023 timeline is optimistic looking at their track record. TSMC is actually already serving 5nm to Apple and is into 3nm risk production. AMD will be on 5nm next year, so that's 2022 if you're still counting, a year before Intel will have their magical 7nm.

And for the people that say they don't care about the process - you should, because Intel needs to keep up core-wise with AMD, but if they're not on the same process you get more energy consumption and more heat. Which is why every Intel chip from gen 8 onward runs like a furnace, because 14nm wasn't supposed to have more than 4 cores, but Ryzen forced their hand
            Last edited by BlueCrayon; 24 March 2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCrayon View Post
              The whole "Intel 7nm is smaller than TSMCs 7nm" is absolutely moot, because TSMCs 7nm is available NOW, and has been since last year, while Intel's 2023 timeline is optimistic looking at their track record. TSMC is actually already serving 5nm to Apple and is into 3nm risk production. AMD will be on 5nm next year, so that's 2022 if you're still counting, a year before Intel will have their magical 7nm.

And for the people that say they don't care about the process - you should, because Intel needs to keep up core-wise with AMD, but if they're not on the same process you get more energy consumption and more heat. Which is why every Intel chip from gen 8 onward runs like a furnace, because 14nm wasn't supposed to have more than 4 cores, but Ryzen forced their hand
              Don't forget "turbo boost" which is nothing more than Intel cheating on TDP values, with "65w" processors pulling 200+ watts in some conditions. Anyone with an Intel laptop knows exactly what I'm talking about - you basically have to disable turbo boost immediately, unless you like a burned lap, plus the sound of tiny fans constantly spinning at 6000 rpm.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 24 March 2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCrayon View Post
                Raspberry Pi 4 is built on a 28nm process and it doesn't run like a furnance.

Comment

Intel & 7nm, I'm not holding my breath as I don't think I can do it for 10 years, anyone got a stasis chamber for sale ?

Comment

[QUOTE=BlIm fact ayon;n1246785]The whole "Intel 7nm is smaller than TSMCs 7nm" is absolutely moot, because TSMCs 7nm is available NOW, and has been since last year, while Intel's 2023 timeline is optimistic looking at their track record. TSMC is actually already serving 5nm to Apple and is into 3nm risk production. AMD will be on 5nm next year, so that's 2022 if you're still counting, a year before Intel will have their magical 7nm.

And for the people that say they don't care about the process - you should, because Intel needs to keep up core-wise with AMD, but if they're not on the same process you get more energy consumption and more heat. Which is why every Intel chip from gen 8 onward runs like a furnace, because 14nm wasn't supposed to have more than 4 cores, but Ryzen forced their hand[/QUOTE

In fact, anyone saying Intel's 7nm is "smaller" doesn't know what they're talking about or didn't listen to "Kicking" Pat Gelsinger's talk. He actually STATES that Intel is hamstrung at 14nm +++++++++++++ and 10nm (cough cough) because Intel didn't know how to do EUV lithography at 7nm. (Extreme Ultra Violet). But NOW, he says (cough cough ) they have EUV sorted out so we'll all see tile based ( chiplets cough cough) Intel products in.....2023. By then AMD will be at an enhanced TMSC 7nm node with at least partial EUV with Zen3+ as a bridge to Zen 4/Genoa at 5nm EUV.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                      Raspberry Pi 4 is built on a 28nm process and it doesn't run like a furnance.
                      What's your point?

Comment

Working...
                      X