Intel Provides Update On 7nm, New US Fabs, "Intel On" Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    To be honest, Anandtech worked out of spec, at this point you were not seeing review of 11700k, but review of 11700K OC-ed by mobo manufacturer which was not provided by name.
    Please stop trying to blame this all on Anandtech. Let's take them out of the picture and focus on the point I made in Post #34:

Even strictly following Intel's guidance means a 65 W Comet Lake i7 can hit 224 W, for up to 28 seconds! On a motherboard behaving 100% in-spec!

That's insane. Nobody wants that! The tiny bit of extra performance you get for so much extra heat and power just doesn't make sense. There's a reason Intel CPUs didn't do that until AMD started beating them. It's just a trick they're pulling to try and boost their benchmark scores, so they can still seem remotely competitive.

Again, I'm not against boosting, but within reason. However, you seem to lack any sense of proportion, when you try to excuse Intel because AMD does it too!

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
      "Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements."
      And that is precisely the problem. The operative words here being "base frequency". We have 11th gen parts whose base frequency is a mere 1.4 Ghz but they boost to 4.6 Ghz. The chip will almost never be running at the 1.4 Ghz base frequency, so that number is meaningless, and therefore so is Intel's definition of TDP. Essentially, Intel's TDP word games allow them to publish any TDP number they like, meanwhile consuming hundreds of watts more in the real world.

It's like saying the speed limit on the highway is 65 mph. Except when you're in a hurry, then you're free to drive 200 mph if you like. But if you're not in a hurry, it's a 65 mph limit. The number no longer has any real meaning, it's a farce.

Comment

Working...
      X