Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xe Graphics Being Part Of The First US Exascale Supercomputer Is Great For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    Who is anticipating any Intel graphics *ever*? I think the word you're looking for is 'dread'.
    I quite like them, it's the only reason I currently still buy Intel CPUs since it's just a hassle-free Linux experience even on new hardware.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Also will we see ARM or RISC-V on the TOP500?
    For ARM, no, not unless it is used strictly as a medium for something else like ASICs or GPUs. ARM was never built with supercomputers in mind, so although there's nothing stopping you from buying millions of ARM cores to build a supercomputer, it isn't worth the effort. RISC-V has potential to reach the top 500 but its adoption is pretty slow. I think RISC-V will probably become the most popular architecture for university supercomputers, because it can be tweaked to fit very specific scientific needs.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    TOP500 list is POWER9, POWER9, Sunway, then Xeon, Xeon, Xon, Xeon...

So POWER9 seems to the king on top, but Xeon seems to be more popular. China seems to be betting on their own Sunway processors.
    How long can x86-based Xeon stay relevant on HPC when there is POWER9?
    Summit and Sierra (1st and 2nd) get their big performance from the accelerators (Nvidia GPUs) not from the processors.

Leave a comment:

• Masush5
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    Who is anticipating any Intel graphics *ever*? I think the word you're looking for is 'dread'.
    If those card are able to compete with midrange AMD/nvidia offerings, I'm certainly interested. The intel linux drivers are high quality.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    TOP500 list is POWER9, POWER9, Sunway, then Xeon, Xeon, Xon, Xeon...

So POWER9 seems to the king on top, but Xeon seems to be more popular. China seems to be betting on their own Sunway processors.
    How long can x86-based Xeon stay relevant on HPC when there is POWER9?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by marty1885 View Post
    AMD, Navi please... Even Intel is pushing their GPU out. And your Vega, even though is 7nm, is old now. And you haven't push any Navi driver out. I hope Navi has the exact same control as Vega/Polaris does.
    I want the following for Navi:

- Vega feature set, plus:
    - VCN, but with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling support for encode/decode (to be on par with NVIDIA)
    - Double precision having at least half speed of single

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    Intel will never support OpenACC.

Leave a comment:

• rtobar
    replied
    SUMMIT (also by DoE) already achieves exascale computation, although only when considering the V100's tensor cores:

Leave a comment:

• marty1885
    replied
    AMD, Navi please... Even Intel is pushing their GPU out. And your Vega, even though is 7nm, is old now. And you haven't push any Navi driver out. I hope Navi has the exact same control as Vega/Polaris does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X