No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 7980XE Linux Benchmarks: 18 Core / 36 Threads For $1999 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again AMD got rekt on the performance side of things, Intel more expensive but more powerful too, nothing changed, business as usual.

Comment

Why are you people acting so surprised about the 2k price? We're talking about pretty high end Xeon dumped into the HEDT market in an attempt at raining on AMD's Threadripper parade while maintaining margins.

Nice addition for those wanting even more desktop compute oomph than Threadripper can offer, price be damned, but due to the price I don't think they should be compared without some serious disclaimers about the price difference.
      Last edited by L_A_G; 25 September 2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

A comparison against Epyc would have been interesting too, as $2000 is in Epyc's price range (e.g. 7551P for $2100 list price).

Comment

PHP compilation test isn't showed that match in this area.
          Please, compare 7980XE vs AMD EPYC 7601 vs Intel x2 Gold server (80 core) on LLVM/Clang compilation suite.
          We'll see some numbers ~40 (36) cores vs ~60 (64) cores vs 80 cores on such core-demanding task.
          I'd like to know what will be the best choise for developer - i9 7980XE or EPYC 7551P (which have similar price ~$2k).

Comment

Excellent product even if it is a tad pricy. The 7960X appears to be the best part from a price/performance perspective based on the early reviews of it trouncing the 1950X.

Thanks to Intel as well for giving Phoronix a review sample before the NDA date so that the review can go live with the product launch!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Why are you people acting so surprised about the 2k price? We're talking about pretty high end Xeon dumped into the HEDT market in an attempt at raining on AMD's Threadripper parade while maintaining margins.

Nice addition for those wanting even more compute desktop oomph than Threadripper can offer, price be damned, but due to the price I don't think they should be compared without some serious disclaimers about the price difference.
              I agree, 2000 dollar is a very high price for a CPU, but nothing new. Haswell-EP dual socket compatible XEON's where often this price or higher. It's like NVIDIA Quadro cards, they are much more expensive than consumer counterparts but are often sold to CAD users who do benefit from them. It's up to the intended buyer to determine if the additional productivity justifies the high pricepoint, history has shown that there are numerous people who beleive so...

Just because something isn't meaningfull for gamers doesn't mean that it isn't valuable for other people...

Comment

I'm assuming these CPUs were also donated? If so, that's impressive - from what I noticed, a lot of reviewers weren't going to get their hands on the 7980XE.

Anyway, something seems off about these, specifically, the 7960X. The 7980XE is roughly where I expected it would be, but the 7960X seems waaay too fast, relative to the 7980XE and the 1900X.

As for the 1950X, was that with NUMA on or off? I recall that making a substantial performance difference in Linux and may explain why it too seems so weirdly behind the 7960X.

Comment

PHP compilation test isn't showed that match in this area.
                  Please, compare 7980XE vs AMD EPYC 7601 vs Intel x2 Gold server (80 core) on LLVM/Clang compilation suite.
                  We'll see some numbers ~40 (36) cores vs ~60 (64) cores vs 80 cores on such core-demanding task.
                  I'd like to know what will be the best choise for developer - i9 7980XE or EPYC 7551P (which have similar price ~$2k).

Comment

This just indicates to me that Intel was was holding back technology for a while. Lets face it, AMD is -extremely- late with threadripper, so the fact that Intel had no problems releasing a product like this in this amount of time indicates they could have done it a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                      Once again AMD got rekt on the performance side of things, Intel more expensive but more powerful too, nothing changed, business as usual.
                      In other words: Once again intel got rekt on the price/performance side of things, AMD slightly slower at the very top but a whole lot less expensive too.

AMD continues to provide the best performance per dollar. At almost every price point, you pay more to get less performance when buying intel.
                      Last edited by torsionbar28; 25 September 2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X