No announcement yet.

Running The Ryzen 7 1700 At 4.0GHz On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a load of crap! Nothing about Trumps policies has indicated that he is a power hungry dictator. More importantly he prevented tge take over of this country by someone that would have been a dictator with a demonstrated desire to trash the constitution

your woman lost get over it.

Originally posted by Luke View Post

The world would have been a better place if people had rioted in the streets when Hitler took power in Germany-and if those rioters had used enough force to protect themselves from the Gestapo and the concentration camps. If they had fought hard enough to bring down Hitler's government the rest of the world would not have had to blast, beat, and burn Germany to the ground at the cost of 20 million dead Russians and millions dead throughout Europe. WWII was the worst disaster to hit Europe since the Black Plague and came from the ambitions of one crazy head of state.

Now another power-mad dictator rises, and again racism and hate form the core of his public support. His chief of strategy Steve Bannon used to run Breitbart News, which was self-described as "the platform of the alt-right." The alt-right is another word for white nationalists and neo-Nazis. Trump calls for "alternative facts" when reality does not fit his dreams. His attorney general Jeff Session was passed over for a position as a judge due to his racism. He was known in the past as a Ku Klux Klan sympathiser. When the alt-right holds a speaking event under these poltiical circumstances, it is equivalent to standing before a huge, armed mob (the Trump regime itself and its armed supporters) and calling for armed attacks on Latino, African-American, and Muslim people. Force is justified to shut it down. Those who gather in public and scream "build the wall" are calling for a pogrom and trying to incite another Holocaust,

Under these circumstances it can be argued that to refuse to meet force with force is the same as quitely watching and maybe peacefully complaining but doing nothing while a gang of shaved-head, swastika-wearing thugs rapes a woman or beats a migrant into unconsciousness for the color of his skin. In most places the law is clear that anyone witnessing such a crime is free to use force to stop it.

No, I will never turn over my raw clips, and will never turn over my encryption keys, no matter what the consequences for myself.. If they get a cold machine with no prior exploits, it will take them longer to brute-force the encryption than Trump will be in office-even if he manages to make himself "president for life" and hold power for decades. I've already had a machine stolen in a police raid defeat attempts at decryption once. I had encrypted it just a week before that raid, after catching a police photographer outside my house. Due to that stupidity on their part, I got to encrypt that computer before instead of after it was stolen, and hard-overwrite the original files.

Since nothing is ever guaranteed in the world of electronics, I also know damned well when to put the fucking camera away. Had they defeated my encryption back in 2008 they still would not have gotten the video they wanted, because I had chosen not to shoot it in the first place. Defense in depth,

Comment

I was for points well to the left of Sanders but endorsed him, not Hillery. Still, one thing's for sure: in the US, no matter WHAT your political position you can now expect that there will be some point at which you may face state-level attacks on your computers and phones if you take any positions at all. Thus, the inclusion of "security" processors with closed binary firmware that operates as an entire mini-operating system beneath the OS should be considered an unacceptable security risk for ALL users taking ANY political position, especially with unknowable potential future changes of government here.

As I said before, AMD can solve this by splitting out just the part of the PSP firmware that hands off boot to the main CPU, stripping out any hooks for DRM, and releasing the source (even if it's Verilog) for just that portion while keeping the rest closed. A possible alternative would be some kind of behaviorally-based audit, or even direct audit of the hexdumped binary after decompilation, combined with a way to forcibly prevent "updates" of the PSP firmware.

Comment

.... And this is why I'm really starting to hate the internet.

Back on Topic: I'm encouraged by the Ryzen 7 1700 that Michael's got. I've been planning on getting either a 1700 or 1700X as soon as the motherboard supply situation works out, and as soon as I see some bios patches to fix up the memory frequency limits.

Windows/Linux scheduler patches to deal with CCX thread-migration issues would be welcome as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Michael, thank you for all of your Ryzen coverage. I wanted to ask about the sensors on the MSI X370 mobo you have. In your initial Ryzen review, you said:

I can't see exactly what Super I/O chip your board has, but it is a Nuvoton of some sort, and maybe it is an NCT6793D. If that's the case, try manually modprobing the nct6775 module:
          Code:
          modprobe nct6775
          sensors
          The 3.4.0 version of lm-sensors (and sensors-detect) found in Debian/Ubuntu does not yet support automatic detection of the NCT6793D. You would have to use the latest git/svn for that to work: https://github.com/groeck/lm-sensors...master/CHANGES

This is one of the reasons I decided to try an intel build this go round. 65w i7700, this setup has more support than Septimus Severus/ Julius Caesar. Temps, fan speeds, voltages the whole lot. Sensors no need to run sensors detect my self it all just worked and from an installation from my FX 8320..Of course I did do a fresh install later for good measure and am running a kernel later than 4.4. This has to by far the most fascinating build I have ever done. All the rest of my box's where all AMD's. I felt like rebelling against AMD, used them for so long. Been wanting an i7 and now I have essentially a 65 watt cool running albeit locked 6700k. Who was it that said Kabylake was useless? Coming from an 8320 this is a serious ship with an awesome FTL drive.

Comment

I mean i7 7700. All and all from what I have researched you can't go wrong with either intel or AMD right now. You either get better multi-thread with AMD or better gaming/single threading with Intel. No regrets with my purchase. Although I will say this and I am video rendering at the moment having lots of fun in kdenlive doing moving artwork type video rendering using its effects I have no doubt a ryzen 1700 would be way way better at render times ect, that being said. It is really fun and interesting to watch all the developments.
            Its really cool how the ryzen 1700 and i7 7700 non-k are at the same price range. I am glad I can use things like i7z for monitoring per core thermals/voltages and cpufreq-set -g powersave or cpufreq-set -g performance. Watching with the governor set to performance all four cores hammering 4+Ghz with at least one core slamming near 4.2Ghz. I am using the 4.8 kernel and will do more research into it. Right now ubuntu studio 16.04 only supports for its latest kernel 4.8 low latency SMP PREEMPT in its repos.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              I mean i7 7700. All and all from what I have researched you can't go wrong with either intel or AMD right now. You either get better multi-thread with AMD or better gaming/single threading with Intel. No regrets with my purchase. Although I will say this and I am video rendering at the moment having lots of fun in kdenlive doing moving artwork type video rendering using its effects I have no doubt a ryzen 1700 would be way way better at render times ect, that being said. It is really fun and interesting to watch all the developments.
              Its really cool how the ryzen 1700 and i7 7700 non-k are at the same price range. I am glad I can use things like i7z for monitoring per core thermals/voltages and cpufreq-set -g powersave or cpufreq-set -g performance. Watching with the governor set to performance all four cores hammering 4+Ghz with at least one core slamming near 4.2Ghz. I am using the 4.8 kernel and will do more research into it. Right now ubuntu studio 16.04 only supports for its latest kernel 4.8 low latency SMP PREEMPT in its repos.
              I'm not sure how much faster this chip would really be with Kdenlive. Bulldozer 8"core" at 4.4GHZ beats Phenom II x4 by about 30%, but only half to two thirds loads each thread. Only in very specific cases (no effects, no Movit, no deinterlace) does kdenlive push all 8 threads to 80% plus. When not using Movit you can similtaniously render to two different resolutions or render two different projects on bulldozer. In straight Libx264 the difference between those two chips is far more drastic.

An interesting test would be to test the 8-core/16 thread Ryzen with hyperthreading(or whatever AMD calls it now) turned off vs Bulldozer with all 8 enabled, which acts like a rather clumsy but effective hyperthreaded 4-core. Same number of threads, but each on its own core. In a plain Libx264 transcode job or a kdenlive double-render job the difference would probably be drastic, don't know whether the normal render case would speed up a lot or speed up a little and load the CPU still more lightly. I suspect with all 16 threads utilization would be poor, but it would take a test with "safe" non-sensitive clips to know for sure. With BD, running all 4 cores with "one core per module" gives much faster kdenlive render than two modules with two "cores" per bulldozer module. With 4 threads kdenlive loads them fully unless Movit is used.

At some point these cores will preumably come out with HSA and onboard video. With the right kernel that would have the potential to greatly speed up kdenlive when using Movit, if as I suspect memory copy jobs between CPU and GPU over the PCI-E are the bottleneck.

Lots of interesting questions, probably a hell of a lot of potential once someone finds a way to ensure end-user control of the motherboard and CPU. No doubt someone will find a way-almost everything gets hacked in the end, looking forward to "rooted" boards with the end user in full control again.

Comment

Interesting. Still to this day I still wish I was running my 8320 cause it really was and still is a great cpu contrary to what people say. All of my old box gradually became disassembled and morphed into a completely new build. I inadvertently did a complete rebuild not on purpose it was one of those things that one thing lead to the next and within a 2 month time frame Monolith was born. Even a new Acer 1080p monitor was incorporated all that remains of the old in this build is the mouse and an intel 530 series drive with windows 10 for doing comparisons on it and testing performance with new tech against Linux. Ubuntu Studio was slapped on a m.2 drive. All in all the whole build was close to $1100 including new display, chiclet keyboard corsair, silent enclosure and power supply . Besides the hot m.2 drive everything is low TDP including a GTX 1050ti. Has to have been the most money I have spent on computing in my whole life within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Michael, thank you for all of your Ryzen coverage. I wanted to ask about the sensors on the MSI X370 mobo you have. In your initial Ryzen review, you said:

I can't see exactly what Super I/O chip your board has, but it is a Nuvoton of some sort, and maybe it is an NCT6793D. If that's the case, try manually modprobing the nct6775 module:
                  Code:
                  modprobe nct6775
                  sensors
                  DanL, thanks for the suggestion. No luck here. On Linux 4.10.2-1: "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nct6775': No such device"

description: CPU
                  product: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor

description: Motherboard
                  product: PRIME X370-PRO
                  vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    product: PRIME X370-PRO
                    vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
                    That mobo doesn't have a Nuvoton chips. It is some sort of ITE chip, but I can't see exactly which model it is. Maybe I'll have a suggestion if you can take a quick look at your board and tell me what model it is. The ITE chip is to the the left of the the PCI-e slots.

Some models of ITE (IT8622E, IT8792E) were only added in kernel 4.11: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...s/hwmon/it87.c

Comment

Working...
                    X