No announcement yet.

Running The Ryzen 7 1700 At 4.0GHz On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael You should remove all the political BS comments. Shits cancer, yo.

Comment

These results are encouraging, and also seem to demonstrate how well the 1800X's XFR feature seems to work. In all of the workloads biased towards single thread performance (defined as tests where the 7700K beats the 6800K and 5960X) the 1800X always edges out the 1700@4GHz, indicating it is consistently pushing one or more cores a touch above 4GHz. In workloads biased towards many cores (6800K/5960X outperform 7700K) the 1700 with all cores locked at 4GHz is able to outperform the 1800X every time, although not by much. The 1800X appears to back down from 4GHz only a little even when all 8 cores are being heavily utilized. At default settings the 1800X tries to stay within it's power budget while the statically configured 1700 does not. I suspect the 1700 in these tests is getting pretty warm and drawing considerably more than 95 watts.

I would not expect the Wraith Spire cooler included with the 1700 to be able to keep up with the amount of heat dissipation from this level of overclock. The Noctua cooler Michael is using looks to be considerably more capable.

My AM4 board arrives today. I might try a less aggressive overclock of 3.8GHz or so on my 1700 with the included cooler, but won't even attempt more until temperature monitoring is working in linux, and probably not until upgrading the cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Michael If you've paid any attention to what's been going on in the U.S during and after the election you'd know that the anti-Trump protesters have now gone violent and actually consider violence a valid tool to further their political goals. Not only that, the police has deliberately turned a blind eye to this and are more likely to arrest Trump supporters for defending themselves. That's if they're not specifically told to stand down completely while protesters are destroying property and beating up bystanders like they did at the recent riots at UC Berkeley a month ago.
        The world would have been a better place if people had rioted in the streets when Hitler took power in Germany-and if those rioters had used enough force to protect themselves from the Gestapo and the concentration camps. If they had fought hard enough to bring down Hitler's government the rest of the world would not have had to blast, beat, and burn Germany to the ground at the cost of 20 million dead Russians and millions dead throughout Europe. WWII was the worst disaster to hit Europe since the Black Plague and came from the ambitions of one crazy head of state.

Now another power-mad dictator rises, and again racism and hate form the core of his public support. His chief of strategy Steve Bannon used to run Breitbart News, which was self-described as "the platform of the alt-right." The alt-right is another word for white nationalists and neo-Nazis. Trump calls for "alternative facts" when reality does not fit his dreams. His attorney general Jeff Session was passed over for a position as a judge due to his racism. He was known in the past as a Ku Klux Klan sympathiser. When the alt-right holds a speaking event under these poltiical circumstances, it is equivalent to standing before a huge, armed mob (the Trump regime itself and its armed supporters) and calling for armed attacks on Latino, African-American, and Muslim people. Force is justified to shut it down. Those who gather in public and scream "build the wall" are calling for a pogrom and trying to incite another Holocaust,

Under these circumstances it can be argued that to refuse to meet force with force is the same as quitely watching and maybe peacefully complaining but doing nothing while a gang of shaved-head, swastika-wearing thugs rapes a woman or beats a migrant into unconsciousness for the color of his skin. In most places the law is clear that anyone witnessing such a crime is free to use force to stop it.

No, I will never turn over my raw clips, and will never turn over my encryption keys, no matter what the consequences for myself.. If they get a cold machine with no prior exploits, it will take them longer to brute-force the encryption than Trump will be in office-even if he manages to make himself "president for life" and hold power for decades. I've already had a machine stolen in a police raid defeat attempts at decryption once. I had encrypted it just a week before that raid, after catching a police photographer outside my house. Due to that stupidity on their part, I got to encrypt that computer before instead of after it was stolen, and hard-overwrite the original files.

Since nothing is ever guaranteed in the world of electronics, I also know damned well when to put the fucking camera away. Had they defeated my encryption back in 2008 they still would not have gotten the video they wanted, because I had chosen not to shoot it in the first place. Defense in depth,

Comment

Originally posted by endrebjorsvik View Post
          Those cardboard boxes are usually not ESD safe. Just saying.
          I've wondered for some time why we don't see more reports of failed boards and CPUs, given the practices visible in photos and videos. Perhaps for their own sake the MB manufacturers have buried the most sensitive traces into inner layers, protected the exposed inputs, or even used lossy board coatings. I'd love to learn what standard ESD protective practices the manufacturers would claim we don't need to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            The world would have been a better place if people had rioted in the streets when Hitler took power in Germany-and if those rioters had used enough force to protect themselves from the Gestapo and the concentration camps. If they had fought hard enough to bring down Hitler's government the rest of the world would not have had to blast, beat, and burn Germany to the ground at the cost of 20 million dead Russians and millions dead throughout Europe. WWII was the worst disaster to hit Europe since the Black Plague and came from the ambitions of one crazy head of state.

Now another power-mad dictator rises, and again racism and hate form the core of his public support. His chief of strategy Steve Bannon used to run Breitbart News, which was self-described as "the platform of the alt-right." The alt-right is another word for white nationalists and neo-Nazis. Trump calls for "alternative facts" when reality does not fit his dreams. His attorney general Jeff Session was passed over for a position as a judge due to his racism. He was known in the past as a Ku Klux Klan sympathiser. When the alt-right holds a speaking event under these poltiical circumstances, it is equivalent to standing before a huge, armed mob (the Trump regime itself and its armed supporters) and calling for armed attacks on Latino, African-American, and Muslim people. Force is justified to shut it down. Those who gather in public and scream "build the wall" are calling for a pogrom and trying to incite another Holocaust,

Under these circumstances it can be argued that to refuse to meet force with force is the same as quitely watching and maybe peacefully complaining but doing nothing while a gang of shaved-head, swastika-wearing thugs rapes a woman or beats a migrant into unconsciousness for the color of his skin. In most places the law is clear that anyone witnessing such a crime is free to use force to stop it.

No, I will never turn over my raw clips, and will never turn over my encryption keys, no matter what the consequences for myself.. If they get a cold machine with no prior exploits, it will take them longer to brute-force the encryption than Trump will be in office-even if he manages to make himself "president for life" and hold power for decades. I've already had a machine stolen in a police raid defeat attempts at decryption once. I had encrypted it just a week before that raid, after catching a police photographer outside my house. Due to that stupidity on their part, I got to encrypt that computer before instead of after it was stolen, and hard-overwrite the original files.

Since nothing is ever guaranteed in the world of electronics, I also know damned well when to put the fucking camera away. Had they defeated my encryption back in 2008 they still would not have gotten the video they wanted, because I had chosen not to shoot it in the first place. Defense in depth,
            It's difficult to take you seriously when you start in with all that Hitler Nazi nonsense. It says you don't really understand the issues. Your post reads like a summary of the confused and misguided alt-left, filled with hate for anyone who has a different outlook, different beliefs, or different priorities. America did not become divided overnight. Barack Obama and his ilk spent eight years spreading hate and racism across the land. Pitting neighbor against neighbor using phoney racism and fictional phobias, like a modern day version of McCarthyism. Look in the mirror my friend, the shaved-head swastica wearing thug beating the pulp out of his fellow citizens is the alt-left. Put aside your hatred and embrace your neighbor, don't beat him because he doesn't share your worldview. It's sad that the D party has allowed itself to be taken over by such extreme and nefarious forces.

The great uprising already happened. Sounds like you were on the wrong side of it. Election 2016 was a revolution, an uprising of the people against the powers of greed and hate, and the elites who finance it.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 March 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

[Crackpot rambling]
              If you actually knew anything about history you'd know that rioting in the streets and silencing their enemies trough violence and intimidation is EXACTLY what the nazis did when they came to power. Then again if you did know enough about history and had enough self-awareness to be able to make an observation this basic about yourselves you probably wouldn't be raving about nazis, white supremacy and just flat out conspiracy theories like you are right now.

I'm certainly no fan of Trump or the alt right, at least not the real alt-right rather than your characterization where you turn anything right of Bernie Sanders into the "alt-right", but the biggest argument for him and the alt-right is definitely not something he's ever said or done, but you people. You morons literally make him and his followers a necessary evil and that's just depressing when it comes down to it. If you weren't such raving lunatics and completely incapable of realizing how close you are to the nazi brown shirts then there would be no reason to listen to any of his ramblings, but with your ramblings being way worse his ramblings actually make sense by comparison.

Seriously, go see a psychiatrist or if you already have, then take your damn medication.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

If you actually knew anything about history you'd know that rioting in the streets and silencing their enemies trough violence and intimidation is EXACTLY what the nazis did when they came to power. <snip>.
                One of the criticisms of the German left of the 1920's and early 1930's was that they failed to counter Nazi SA street fighting with fighters of their own. Had they engaged aggressively they could have stomped out the fire while it was still small. Fast-forward to late 2015 and early 2016: At the early Trump rallies, peaceful protesters were assaulted, beaten, and in one case the crowd called for them to be killed. Trump praised his fighters from the podium at these events, just like Hitler egging on the SA. That combined with his racist anti-Muslim and anti-Latino trash talk was what got him widely compared to Hitler-and to Mussolini as well.

The US Left saw at that point how Trump wanted to roll, and now the Trumpers whine about losing the fights that they themselves started. The mistakes of the German left that dropped the ball back in the 1920's won't be made again. What they call "snowflakes" we call a blizzard of resistance!

Comment

What they call "snowflakes" we call a blizzard of resistance!
                  More like a tepid gaggle of confused millennials. You're really can't see beyond your own nutty Nazi Hitler nonsense. Someone's been living in mom and dad's basement a little too long, lol.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 March 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

OCing R5 1600x/1400x would be interesting.

Comment

[More crazy rambling]
                      If you actually saw the full videos of what happened at those rallies and not the videos edited to only show the times Trump supporters punched people back you'd know that it was the anti-Trump crowd that initiated pretty much all the violence at Trump rallies by showing up specifically to agitate people and pick fights with them. When you punch someone while hurling insults at them you really shouldn't be the least bit surprised if they punch you back. Your predecessors in the SA most definitely expected people to fight back whenever they showed up at rallies held by the communists and supporters of the Weimar republic to disrupt them trough violence and intimidation. Complaining about violence at Trump rallies is completely stupid when you yourself deliberately caused that violence by showing up to assault the people there. It's the functional equivalent of soiling yourself and then complaining about having sh*t in your pants.

If you want to find a nazi to punch you need to go no further than your nearest mirror. Just look into it and the nazi will be looking right back at you.

Seriously thou, it just boggles the mind to look at the current political climate in the U.S... On one side you have a bunch of morons gathering around a real life comic book villain and on the other hand you have a bunch of morons so stupid and crazy that they make the first group of morons look like civilized people. Sort of makes you wonder if this is the final proof that the U.S as a country has finally gone into a terminal decline and will either cease to exist in the next few decades or end up seriously diminished.
                      Last edited by L_A_G; 07 March 2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X