Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The Ryzen 7 1700 At 4.0GHz On Linux

Phoronix: Running The Ryzen 7 1700 At 4.0GHz On Linux

Many Phoronix readers appear rather intrigued by the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 on Linux as it offers good multi-threaded performance with eight cores / 16 threads and retails for just $329 USD. Making the Ryzen 7 1700 even more appealing to enthusiasts is that it overclocks well. For those curious, here are benchmarks of the Ryzen 7 1700 on Ubuntu Linux running at 4.0GHz.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice are the 4GHz mprime torture test stable?

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      I was using air cooling, in particular the Nocuta NH-U12S SE-AM4 heatsink
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Wioth the Ryzen 7 1700

Comment

Until somebody figures out why some of the gaming performance is *much* worse than on windows with some titles and vulkan (that confuses me), I will be watching and waiting. Still leaning towards buying a Ryzen system as it hits the ball out of the park on everything other than gaming right now.

Comment

astonishing!
          now everyone knows which processor to buy, haha

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
            Until somebody figures out why some of the gaming performance is *much* worse than on windows with some titles and vulkan (that confuses me), I will be watching and waiting. Still leaning towards buying a Ryzen system as it hits the ball out of the park on everything other than gaming right now.
            I don't quite understand it either but I keep seeing references stating that the performance in 1080 gaming should markedly improve within the next few months because of microcode tweaks and game developers taking advantage of Ryzen's uniqueness. I guess people will just have to wait a few months and check any new benchmarks at the time to see if it's true if gaming performance is important to them.

For myself personally Ryzen looks extremely appealing based on the results with video encoding and 3d rendering. That 1800x matches the $1000 6900k at those tasks which is amazing. Hobbyist multimedia users on a budget that place gaming as a second priority are swooning over the new product.

Comment

Michael beautiful, thank you for all the Ryzen tests!

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                Check Michael's 4.11 + Ryzen article - looks like there was a big jump in Vulkan performance just from changing kernels. Not sure if that is "fixing a Ryzen issue" or just "making stuff go faster" though...
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Check Michael's 4.11 + Ryzen article - looks like there was a big jump in Vulkan performance just from changing kernels. Not sure if that is "fixing a Ryzen issue" or just "making stuff go faster" though...
                  The RADV improvements in Linux 4.11 aren't Ryzen-specific but appear TTM related.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder what's the average OC for the 1700. I was thinking of grabbing a 1800x, but if it can only be OC'd to 4GHz on all cores, then I'd rather risk getting at least 3.7-3.8GHz on the 1700.

Comment

Working...
                    X