Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    So it is turning into a fully-fledged operating system
    operating system's job is not managing storage, but managing processes. nevertheless even if it will turn into operating system, it will turn into remote operating system. so you are arguing for opening of operating system of any website you are using

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That's microcode meant to initialize them and set how they should work at low-level.
      The microcode is not only active at initialization time but also at runtime from what I read:
      Well, the various rings (graphics, compute, transfer, uvd, etc.) are already being run by Command Processors fed by a microcode since GCN1, and possibly earlier
      https://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/...585#post269585

The ability to write stuff in a disk does not turn low-level firmwares in an operating system.
      Well, what are the tasks of an operating system?

IPC
      Memory management
      Scheduling
      Networking
      Storage

Anyway, as bridgman has noted, storage isn't managed by the GPU but by the driver, though I have a hard time imagining how this is going to happen without any supporting code or logic for that on the GPU itself. The considerable speed gains that were demonstrated by AMD supposedly come from not having to move the data via the host, but directly between GPU and SSD.

fixed.
      legit firmwares like these are too low-level to be seen as distinct from the hardware they run. This stuff is usually burned on ROMs or on NOR chips on the boards since decades.

But of course if it is in a chip on the board it's 100% fine, while if it is loaded on runtime it is 100% wrong.
      Do note that I did not make that argument. A more nuanced version of this is what the FSF says.
      And besides, I think your comment shows that you failed to fully grasp the FSF position on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        My 6550M still gets "ATOMBIOS stuck in loop" messages if I enable dynamic power management on it...
        And without power management enabled, it runs slower than the APU graphics core, which sucks.
        Is there bugreport about this? For example mine 6650M is fine.

Comment

Well, what are the tasks of an operating system?
          Networking
          Storage
          lol, didn't you hear about networked microcontrollers? those are not os' tasks, os' task is arbitrating access to those

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
            My 6550M still gets "ATOMBIOS stuck in loop" messages if I enable dynamic power management on it...
            well, you can be sure that without atombios half of cards will not be supported at all, like with nouveau just because card vendors like to change things

Comment

pal666: that would not have been true if we had stuck with it, and there was no nasty fork for personal glorification and linux distribution competition reasons.

Comment

Unfortunately, there will always be a part of the code that is closed source.
                Maybe someday, someone will successfuly crowdfund a completely open source GPU?...
                Maybe even a company...
                Even Sony is turning to crowdfuncding, so who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  operating system's job is not managing storage
                  Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  lol, didn't you hear about networked microcontrollers? those are not os' tasks, os' task is arbitrating access to those
                  You may want to fix Wikipedia then:
                  Access to data stored on disks is a central feature of all operating systems.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...d_file_systems
                  Currently most operating systems support a variety of networking protocols, hardware, and applications for using them.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...tem#Networking

Comment

You may want to fix Wikipedia then:
                    why? it says that os provides filesystem service to applications, not what writing to drive implies os. every hard drive or ssd has internal controller with microcode, which does real io to/from drive

Comment

same for network. os provides shared access to nic, but any microcontroller can use its nic and it does not need os for that

Comment

Working...
                      X