No announcement yet.

AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo" Linux Laptop Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't an 8 bit decoder handle maybe 99% of the HEVC content likely to be viewed over the next couple of years ? Serious question.

Re: your comment about NVidia and Skylake having integrated encoders, are you suggesting that Carrizo does not ? AFAIK it has latest VCE as well...
    Last edited by bridgman; 29 November 2015, 06:37 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Skylake has an decoder for HEVC, but afaik 10bit ist still Hybrid.

Comment

@bridgman

The only HEVC content you can get now from Astra satellite via DVB-S2 is 10 bit. Not even 1 test channel uses 8 bit!

The channels so far use around 29 mbit average at max. You can decode that with a very fast CPU, some channels with 22 mbit max work with 3.9 GHz (Ivy Bridge) but for everything else my CPU is too slow. And what you can expect in the next years is (from Wikipedia): "The 4K-Blu-ray specification allows for three disc sizes, each with their own data rate: 50 GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66 GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB with 128 Mbit/s."

Have fun to decode that in software mode. I don't talk about 1080p files you recoded from h264/vc1. Those bitrates are no problem for current CPUs.
        Last edited by Kano; 29 November 2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
          • 15.6"? diagonal widescreen TruBrite? TFT display at 1366 x 768 native resolution (HD)

yuck... One of the first computers I had came with 15" screen and 768 lines. That was in 1997.
          Yeah. At least with the HP laptops with the 8700p, you have to upgrade to a dedicated video card to get the 1920x1080 resolution. I don't understand why, I would have thought the APU alone could drive that resolution just fine. I'm guessing it's an artificial excuse to jack up the price?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Yeah. At least with the HP laptops with the 8700p, you have to upgrade to a dedicated video card to get the 1920x1080 resolution. I don't understand why, I would have thought the APU alone could drive that resolution just fine. I'm guessing it's an artificial excuse to jack up the price?
            No, my HP notebook mentioned in the thread where Michael layed out plans to buy two notebooks has the 1080p and Carrizo without a dedicated GPU. That in fact was one reason I bought it, I didn't want the mess of dual graphics on Linux.

Comment

Hopefully the TDP won't be locked down as HP did with this Envy 15

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/hp...-fx-8800p-15w/

the most top-of-the-line PCs and laptops on the market Diamlorem metus habitant voluptatum est sollicitudin conubia per ipsam. Dictumst, curae autem. Cupiditate ratione blandit utem illo dui explicabo.. LEARN MORE We partner with 12 Years Of Experience Choose The Best Gaming PC and Laptop ! Diamlorem metus habitant voluptatum est sollicitudin conubia per ipsam. Dictumst, curae autem. Cupiditate ratione blandit. […]
              Last edited by WOLF308; 29 November 2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLF308 View Post
                15W mode saves battery which made sense for laptops, also memory modules one get on laptops are not highest Carrizo can support you are lucky if you get @1600 while @2133 is max for that chip... that kills perfromance too but that is how it is.

So there is not really full potentional laps like it happen on desktops, if user get 60% performance out of max theoreticaly possibile then he should be happy... because they can cripple it even further if equip it just with one slow module instead of dual - well that one is bad But crippling those all together like that actually made sense only if they provide dGPU too. Basically they can cripple GPU perf on 3 points: on TDP mode so watts , on memory speed and single memory... and it is imposible to found one which has all those max, so not to be crippled.

Really bad thing will be if they cripple it on all those 3 points, but also not providing offloading dGPU... but i don't think that happens on any

Sadly there are a lot of those unknown factors on lap market, even Bridgman bought one because specs said there is no dGPU but he actually get one with dGPU

So dunno what to expect from those two Michael ordered, other then maybe - they should perform similar, because price is similar
                Last edited by dungeon; 30 November 2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Personally I think the people who are complaining that they're all not configured as 35W maybe looking for a cheap gaming machine, and yeah maybe it would do. For all others you will probably be surprised at how nice a machine you can have at 15W and it still plays games well.

My Carrizo is configured at 15W and I couldn't be happier. Cool enough all of the time, and novices wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and an expensive I7 notebook.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                    My Carrizo is configured at 15W and I couldn't be happier.
                    How do you know? You weren't given a choice and HAD to accept what you got. The lack of choice is what bothers me, and it should you as well, given the site your posting on. Would you be just as happy if they had locked the display at only 50% brightness in the name of battery life?

Comment

Originally posted by WOLF308 View Post

How do you know? You weren't given a choice and HAD to accept what you got. The lack of choice is what bothers me, and it should you as well, given the site your posting on. Would you be just as happy if they had locked the display at only 50% brightness in the name of battery life?
                      How do I know what? That I'm happy? In my experience I'm the best judge of my own happiness.

1. Openscad calculates/renders a 3-d object twice as fast as my previous 3 yr old notebook that is a 35W part
                      2. An increase in watts is not proportional to an increase in performance.

I will agree with everyone here that AMD screwed up in the fact that they have one chip and are leaving it all up to the notebook makers to set the TDP. This has led to nothing but confusion. The least they should have done is forced the notebook makers to specify the TDP that the chip is configured at.

Comment

Working...
                      X