Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA JTX1: Finally An Exciting 64-bit ARM Board!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop the price by at least $100 and let me put my own DIMMs in and then this would be a pretty appealing product.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Right. Just like the TK1 but with 64bits, Maxwell over Kepler, and double the ram. For those looking for a desktop replacement, this isn't it. For those looking to develop a DTR, that's another story. But "just like Jetson TK1" suggests it might not have a proper UEFI, so a host might still be necessary for configuration. Might -- don't see a serial port on this one, so they've done *something* different. TK1 was targeted at embedded real-time graphics developers; its $196 was a loss leader and I'm glad to have mine. I shore dew look forward to Michael's review(s) of this bad boy!

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Nvidia releases board that is pretty much incompatible with Windows...
        <snip>
        ...it leads me to believe, main audience for this device is Linux crowd. Make me think twice.
        Umm...you do realize this is a Linux forum, right? As in, we discuss hardware that runs Linux (and by extension other *nix like OSes). Windows has zero to do with this hardware and very little to do with this forum beyond benchmarks.

You may as well be complaining that the Xbox One doesn't play PlayStation 4 games or vice versa. It would make about as much sense as your comment. Are you sure you didn't mean to post your comment at WinSuperSite or Windows Central?

Comment

Originally posted by dsx724 View Post
          Nvidia needs to make a Raspberry Pi like board for $50. Faster than the Pi 2 but with some compute capability so they can push their CUDA to all the people. Broadcom is winning the embedded fight and people don't even realize it.
          You're assuming that everyone wants a huge inefficient four core development board with 1080p graphics and noob friendly community full of noobs.

The media player folks have already switched to 4k capable HTPC boxes,
          IoT guys use ESP8266, EWM, NodeMCU, NodeUSB, VoCore, or other small scale chips
          people who want lightweight workstations or network routers pick Banana Pi router or Utilite or CubieTruck or ...
          Arduino still beats RPi when learning microcontroller stuff and interfacing with 5V devices. 10 to 15 times cheaper to replace
          The chinese use cheaper boards like Banana/Orange Pi.
          Router folks have their own OpenWRT approved chipsets.

None of the other popular boards seem to use Broadcom SoC. It's just the Pi crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            Nvidia releases board that is pretty much incompatible with Windows.(for gaming purposes anyway, I have heard that some windows someday will support arm, may be does so already, but without DX support).
            Add to fact, low RAM count, and it leads me to believe, main audience for this device is Linux crowd. Make me think twice. What do they have on the mind? Is it some sort of experiment?
            Dev boards are like that, for people who like to develop for platform or just to experiment so yeah This is not PC for sure.
            Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Why buy this board instead of disassembling the Android console? Same hardware. One third of the price. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                Why buy this board instead of disassembling the Android console? Same hardware. One third of the price. Am I missing something?
                It looks like PC, have various I/O ports... what else, nothing it seems - maybe some embeded support from nvidia too is in price, dunno. Basically it is credit card on a board

Available as a module, Jetson TX1 is also built into a Developer Kit, which enables hobbyists and professionals to develop and test highly advanced autonomous devices. This makes it easy to transition from development to manufacturing and production.
                Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2015, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post

Umm...you do realize this is a Linux forum, right? As in, we discuss hardware that runs Linux (and by extension other *nix like OSes). Windows has zero to do with this hardware and very little to do with this forum beyond benchmarks.

You may as well be complaining that the Xbox One doesn't play PlayStation 4 games or vice versa. It would make about as much sense as your comment. Are you sure you didn't mean to post your comment at WinSuperSite or Windows Central?
                  I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I think you misunderstood what he was saying.
                    Seriously. Way to welcome a potential new member to the Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post

No offence, you do realise I am senior member here, right? I am Linux only user, but I am not blind and I know of Windoze existence.
                      I was reading more about the device, I takes some words back.
                      Apparently 4GB ram is enough to run modern Doze OS.

Comment

Working...
                      X