Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 4004 Benchmarks: Outperforming Intel Xeon E-2400 With Performance, Efficiency & Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 4004 Benchmarks: Outperforming Intel Xeon E-2400 With Performance, Efficiency & Value

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 4004 Benchmarks: Outperforming Intel Xeon E-2400 With Performance, Efficiency & Value

Over the past several years we have seen AMD Ryzen processors being used for low-cost servers, budget web hosting platforms, game servers, and more. Since the Ryzen 5000 series we have seen the likes of ASRock Rack and Supermicro putting out interesting budget-friendly Ryzen servers and that has ramped up even more with AMD Ryzen 7000 series server performance being stellar thanks to AVX-512 and other improvements making it more practical for such workloads. AMD has now solidified its positioning for entry-level servers with the introduction of the EPYC 4004 series processors. The EPYC 4004 series is derived from the Ryzen 7000 series offerings to facilitate cost conscious server options and putting the Intel Xeon E-2400 series in the crosshairs. In this review is a look at the EPYC 4004 series along with benchmarks of nearly the entire EPYC 4004 product stack compared to Intel's current top-end Xeon E-2400 series processor, the Intel Xeon E-2488 Raptor Lake.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More benchmarks coming... If anyone has any other test requests, let me know. Might do the BSD benchmarks here. And checking out ASRockRack AM5 Ryzen server with new BIOS update now allows for official EPYC 4004 support too.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael

Could you clarify/correct wording on page one:

"A maximum of 192GB of DDR5 memory is supported in total, matching the Xeon E-2400 series."

The graphic in the article states the Xeon E-24xx maxes out at only 128 GB memory? I think the graphic is correct as the intel E-2488 CPU processor spec page also states 128 GB max?:

p.s. great review article. Only you could give us this amount of detail and threaten more benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Might do the BSD benchmarks here.
        That would be SWEET! Only problem I can see is these new 4004 series processors might not have their IDs in the respected kernels yet with them being brand new.

As always thanks Michael for these benchmarks. Ryzen 4004 EPYC look like a great workstation processor for those wanting ECC RAM guaranteed to be supported and not having the cash for a threadripper.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          More benchmarks coming... If anyone has any other test requests, let me know. Might do the BSD benchmarks here. And checking out ASRockRack AM5 Ryzen server with new BIOS update now allows for official EPYC 4004 support too.
          • OpenMandriva (to measure performance of a full Clang distro)
          • Homelab 7950X vs Enterprise EPYC would be really intetesting (for value)
          Last edited by Kjell; 21 May 2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
            The graphic in the article states the Xeon E-24xx maxes out at only 128 GB memory? I think the graphic is correct as the intel E-2488 CPU processor spec page also states 128 GB max?:
            They didn't bothered to update when 48 GiB modules came out. Check 12900K Intel Ark max memory size (128 GiB) and now check field test with 192 GiB.

Performance benchmarks are... boring, if you consider than there is not much reason for them to behave differently to your standard AM5 Ryzen with similar specs. Ryzen 7950X3D and EPYC 4584P seems to have identical base specs, thus base performance, and there should be a lot of benchmarks of the former. Instead, I'm interesed in knowing what other hidden, not explicitly mentioned features those AM5 EPYC have.
            Do they have the exact same feature set than Ryzen PRO, or is it a superset or sidegrade of it?
            Do they support SEV (Secure Encrypted Virtualization) like the other EPYCs?​
            Can they overclock like standard Ryzens? Is there any other standard Ryzen feature missing?
            If I had a Ryzen and an EPYC with same specs for the same price, is there ANY reason to not pick the EPYC given it has more (Ryzen PRO level) features on paper?
            Last edited by zir_blazer; 21 May 2024, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
              Michael

Could you clarify/correct wording on page one:

"A maximum of 192GB of DDR5 memory is supported in total, matching the Xeon E-2400 series."

p.s. great review article. Only you could give us this amount of detail and threaten more benchmarks.
              Thanks. I thought the E-2488 could handle 192GB but maybe that is unofficial... But yes you are right the https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-20-ghz.html cites 128GB so I updated the article. Thanks.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh, BSD benchmarks would be cool. Also BSD vs. Linux. 😊

Comment

I am missing benchmarks/comparisons with the Ryzen counterparts? Other then that, interesting stuff!

Comment

Amazing article. Thank you! Until now, I had been ignoring EPYC, assuming it was beyond my budget. But now comes the fun part where I pick/price out the parts to replace an old system (Xeon, DDR3, VM host, ZFS server), and might even save some electricity in the process while getting much better performance.
                    Last edited by MarkG; 21 May 2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X