Apple Announces The M4 Chip With Up To 10 CPU Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    CPU's and GPU's have different requirements for performance. CPU's prefer lower latency instead of insane amounts of bandwidth, while GPU's prefer bandwidth over low latency. Why you think AMD and Intel can outperform Apple's M series with the use of DDR5? LPDDR5 memory is a cheaper alternative to DDR5 and GDRR6. It is neither as lower latency or as high bandwidth. Why you think the RTX 4090 makes Apple's GPU's look slow? Sadly, Nvidia's RTX 4090 makes Apple's hardware look expensive. You know how many 4090's you can buy instead of a $10K Mac Pro? You know how many times faster a much cheaper PC is compared to Apple's? In Linus's test, it was 6x faster.

A single RTX 4090 is several times faster than anything Apple has right now, which justifies the power demand. Again, RTX 4090 is several times faster than anything Apple has now. Nvidia is so much the gold standard that everyone is training their AI on Nvidia hardware. Nvidia's stonks went up while Apple's dropped which prompted them to perform A Historic buy back.

The NPU's are not faster than a GPU, at least on Intel Meteor Lake chips. They are however much more energy efficient than using a GPU. Linus shows this near the end of his video.
    We got a Linus Bro who doesn't know anything about how computers up in here.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      If you work in audio, nothing beats a Mac. NO-THING.
      Pure cope.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Are you even making a distinction between CPU and GPU performance.
        Yes. CPU is slow because a lot of software is not optimized for ARM and some requires emulation (and M3 is already pretty weak). GPU is useless if you want to game because wine/GPK runs around 30% of the games that linux can and at the performance compared to a weak integrated GPU in celerons. (I bought M3 Pro 18/512 to compare to my other devices, it is useless at everything and I will sell it soon)

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          I decided to max out the specs on one of these iPad Pro tablets, the cost comes out to, hold on to your hats, just under $2700!

I will admit they look very interesting and if i had that kind of disposable income I would probably buy one but i can't imagine anyone buying one to install Linux on it.
          That's because you can't install Linux on an iPad Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Naming could definitely be better across the industry, but that's a bit of apples to oranges comparison. Apple has a handful of SOCs for a handful of devices as an extremely vertically integrated company. AMD and Intel are providing the equivalent to any and all industries. It's natural that they would have a hell of a lot more SKUs than Apple. Trying to get as much money as they can through binning / die harvesting is inevitable.
            That too, and besides: who's going to look at all the variants anyway, cc waxhead? The average customer doesn't care about the lakes and model numbers; all they want is a PC/laptop that does what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Alternatives mean crap.

The amount of polish and intuitiveness on a software tools means a lot more than just having the same functions or features on an alternative.

Premiere and Vegas look, feel and handle jobs like a clumsy baboon trying to fuck its mate compared to Final Cut Pro. And in turn, the likes of Davinci, Openshot, Kdenlive, Cinelerra etc, look, feel, function, perform and handle jobs like a clumsy baboon trying to fuck its mate compared to the likes of Premiere.
              As someone who has used every one of these NLE editors in the professional world (Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut Pro and Davinci ( although I wouldn’t be so harsh about Davinci ) and have used Openshot, Kdenlive, Cinelerra and even the NLE inside Blender for personal use and evaluation in my Linux usage, I can wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Drep View Post

Yes. CPU is slow because a lot of software is not optimized for ARM and some requires emulation (and M3 is already pretty weak). GPU is useless if you want to game because wine/GPK runs around 30% of the games that linux can and at the performance compared to a weak integrated GPU in celerons. (I bought M3 Pro 18/512 to compare to my other devices, it is useless at everything and I will sell it soon)
                I have a MacBook Pro 2023 model with the exact specs 18gb Ram and 512 SSD. It’s my first Mac ever at the tender age of 60 after computing on IBM hardware even before the original IBM PC and DOS 1.0. And I can unequivocally state that if you paid the amount of money I did and I know you did because you said so, just to game on a MacBook Pro in Wine or emulation mode, not even to mention native ports, you sir are a COSMICALLY ignorant moron. I would drop the cosmic but keep the ignorant moron if you paid more than the price of an X-Box or a PlayStation 5 for any hardware, Windows or Linux, just to game. LOL….

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

I have a MacBook Pro 2023 model with the exact specs 18gb Ram and 512 SSD. It’s my first Mac ever at the tender age of 60 after computing on IBM hardware even before the original IBM PC and DOS 1.0. And I can unequivocally state that if you paid the amount of money I did and I know you did because you said so, just to game on a MacBook Pro in Wine or emulation mode, not even to mention native ports, you sir are a COSMICALLY ignorant moron. I would drop the cosmic but keep the ignorant moron if you paid more than the price of an X-Box or a PlayStation 5 for any hardware, Windows or Linux, just to game. LOL….
                  Just be to clear on who's the... cosmically ignorant moron here? Did you buy an M2 Pro based Macbook Pro 2023? Any Mac with a M2 with 256GB of SSD and M2 Pro with 512GB of SSD space received a single NAND chip. In 2023 there was the M3's which don't have Apple going cheap with the NAND chips, but if you did buy an M2 then you have half the performance compared to the M1's and M3's, and of course most Windows PCs. Also to continue with this... cosmically ignorant moron is the fact that Apple has pushed developers to put games on their Macs. Games like Death Stranding, Resident Evil 4/Village, and Baldur's Gate 3. Apple is even pushing these games on their iPhone 5 Pro and Pro Max.

Also want to point out that this a Linux forum. Did you Apple's make a wrong turn at the Apple forum? You can't even install Linux on these devices. Definitely not on iPads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

lol macbook for gaming thats just nuts man shouldve stuck with the good ol ibm stuff macs aint for games dont care bout ur tender age 60 or whatever emulation on mac pfttt waste of cash coulda got a console for that kinda dough ur talkin tryna school me on gaming with a mac ya sound like a cosmic joke no offence

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      This guy drank the Apple Kool-Aid. Keep in mind that Asahi Linux still doesn't work on Apple's M3's, let alone M4's. Unlike the "big 3" Apple doesn't provide any Linux support. Qualcomm was caught cheating as manufacturers were complaining they were getting half the performance that Qualcomm was stating with their Snapdragon X Elite. Last year Apple Mac sales dropped 34% year over year, though it did grow 1% since. StatCounter shows that MacOS dropped by 6% since November of 2023, which is the same source that showed that Linux reached 4% last month. Apple paid for the 3nm manufacturing from TSMC, which is the only reason why they have it. As you can see from the video bellow, both AMD and Intel are nearly as power efficient as Apple's M3's. AMD in particular is drastically faster than Apple's M3 in multicore performance. AMD in some cases can last longer on battery compared to the M3 in video playback. More importantly, AMD's Ryzen 7-8840HS will fully work on Linux, right now. As for not needing a fan, you're insane. The M3 Macbook Air was reported to hit 114C with 3DMark Wild Life Extreme, at the cost of performance. These chips clearly don't effectively work fanless, unless you don't need to use these devices for gaming or productivity.

It's 2024 and Apple's switch to ARM was a mistake. AMD had already matched Apple in power efficiency while Intel is nearly there. Both AMD's Dragon Range and Intel's Meteor Lake will last for several hours with mild use, while also retaining full performance while unplugged.

LOL….what demonstrable bullshit ! Especially the part of ….”It’s 2024 and Apple’s switch to ARM was a mistake.” I mean….I don’t even know where to begin other than there is a point where one stops being a troll, which is a 21st Century synonym for “asshole”, to being a liar. And buddy…you went there.

It is a demonstrable fact that Intel and AMD and Nvidia are technically incapable of producing anything like Apple Silicon M4. If ANY of them could they would have already. Hell…what more proof do you need than Microsoft working with a post-Nuvia Qualcomm to make a Microsoft version of the MacBook Pro ? LOL….you are such a blatant moron. Ever since Apple became a company Microsoft had used them as their de-facto Research and Development arm both in OS development and hardware development. Windows ring a bell ? Zune ring a bell ? Windows Phone ring a bell ? Thin and light laptops as a compute platform ring a bell ? Surface tablets ring a bell ? And now when Microsoft wants to copy a MacBook Pro and goes and re-engineers Windows 11 into something that can be run on ARM do they call Intel ? No. Do they call AMD ? No. Do they call Nvidia which actually makes the most performant ARM based CPU and compute platforms for AI Supercomputing on the planet and arguably the most performant GPUs on the planet ? No. Do they call Samsung who has experience making ARM based SoCs for Android tablets and phones ? No.

They call Qualcomm. But only after Qualcomm buys Nuvia and shifts the entire Snapdragon design over to it. And Nuvia was founded by ex-Apple Silicon engineers and designers who wanted to make ARM based server chips with Apple Silicon design knowledge but Apple wasn’t interested. Yet. For news is breaking over from the Wall Street Journal and picked up by The Register that Apple has a skunkworks program that is doing with the M series chips what the Nuvia wanted to do but didn’t have the patience to wait on Apple to get there. Only to have Qualcomm fuck up Nuvia and lie about its performance according to Charlie Demerjian over at SemiAccurate.

But you keep on believing that Apple made a mistake. LOL….SMFH !!

Comment

Working...
                      X