Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Announces The M4 Chip With Up To 10 CPU Cores

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    That's because you can't install Linux on an iPad Pro.
    Linux on the iPad isn't a reality yet, at least not like on a desktop platform. With hardware becoming more and more powerful every year, obsolete iPadsshould be allowed to continue to serve a purpose. Obsolete iPads could be affordable personal computers and useful for project builds. We believe Linux is the key to bring new life to these devices.


    Don't worry, if someone makes a great piece of hardware someone else will want to cripple it with Linux.

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

      Linux on the iPad isn't a reality yet, at least not like on a desktop platform. With hardware becoming more and more powerful every year, obsolete iPadsshould be allowed to continue to serve a purpose. Obsolete iPads could be affordable personal computers and useful for project builds. We believe Linux is the key to bring new life to these devices.


      Don't worry, if someone makes a great piece of hardware someone else will want to cripple it with Linux.
      I don't think you read my post right. I was specifically talking about the iPad PRO. iPad Linux doesn't run on the Pro - let alone this Pro with the M4 chip - at least not yet, so my point still stands.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        I don't think you read my post right. I was specifically talking about the iPad PRO. iPad Linux doesn't run on the Pro - let alone this Pro with the M4 chip - at least not yet, so my point still stands.
        I understood your point and you are right.

        What i meant is give it time, I have no doubt that some Linux evangelist with more money, or credit, than brains, will post a video on YouTube with an M4 iPad Pro running Linux.

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

          I understood your point and you are right.

          What i meant is give it time, I have no doubt that some Linux evangelist with more money, or credit, than brains, will post a video on YouTube with an M4 iPad Pro running Linux.
          Maybe, but even with the current project, you need an older device. So I'm guessing it's gonna take at least some years for the M4 iPad Pro as well, unless they find some kind of (unpatchable) exploit.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

            I understood your point and you are right.

            What i meant is give it time, I have no doubt that some Linux evangelist with more money, or credit, than brains, will post a video on YouTube with an M4 iPad Pro running Linux.
            This is the way of Linux. If it can't run Linux, then someone will find a way to make it run Linux. This is also Apple so the moment someone does get Linux running then Apple will immediately patch iOS to prevent it. Lets be honest here, any Linux distro would be an upgrade over iPadOS. What does Apple expect people to do with an M4 running iPadOS? Linux would also be infinitely more secure than anything Apple has with iOS. Look at the zero-click, zero-day exploits Apple has been dealing with. Triangulation, Checkm8, and now "EndofDays" which was made by an Israeli company called QuaDream which uses invisible iCloud calendar invites. Triangulation uses a mixture of exploits like iMessage and Safari. What part of iOS is actually secure? The scary thing is that Apple knew something was up, but for years they couldn't figure it out, but an exploit to Jailbreak your Apple device will certainly be patched tomorrow, if found today. ‚ÄčEven something as simple as a web browser on iPadOS is not easy. Everything is Webkit, like it or not.

            You would think MacOS would be better on these new iPads, and you'd be right. Except that I'd still rather use Linux. The MacOS UI doesn't have as many features as Linux UI's or even Windows. You're not going to tell me that Mac's UI is better than KDE Plasma. Getting software is still just as bad on MacOS as it is on Windows. On Linux it's mostly through the repository or Flatpak. Screw Snap. On MacOS you're still dealing with .dmg files. It's also inherently less secure. Coding on MacOS is a nightmare and there's no Vulkan.

            Last edited by Dukenukemx; 13 May 2024, 08:35 AM.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

              The single innovation Apple did with M was this: they took a mobile phone ARM core (because they were technically incapable/incompetent to develop a high performance desktop/server ARM core from scratch), added bunch of accelerators to workaround the fact the mobile phone core is weak ant not feature-rich, added a series of hacks to that garbage OS to offload certain things on them and ported "the solution" several times over the worst versions of TSMC N5 and N3 LOL I guess this happens without a Steve Jobs. Good enough and cost effective is the new Apple informal slogan LOL Entry line Pro Mac 8G RAM - same amount as in 20USD 15 years old used thinkpads LOL Cause you "don't need more" LOL USB2 in 2023 LOL Seriously, they should be taxed just for slowing computer tech progress. Chinese smartphone has more innovations in it than high end macbook LOL
              ahha yes indeed apple haas only created one innovation !! you see, they have ONLY innovated one single innovated. the problem !! htough is that that one innovication hsa many invociations before it!! whic h help to build up to theis single (1, uno, singular) inmnovation!

              chineses smartwholes however have many !! such risc-y innovations adn are clearly dominance in the marked!!!!! i onyl buy lemote like richard stallman !!

              Comment

              Working...
              X