Apple Announces The M4 Chip With Up To 10 CPU Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I can't imagine buying this for macos and probably still having mediocre performance in native baldur's gate 3.
    “I can’t imagine buying a PlayStation 5 Pro; it probably has terrible Final Cut Pro support”

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It makes perfect sense when you think about their target audience: People with slightly above average income with average to low intelligence. People like teens and trendy people. Well-to-do people aren't necessarily smarter and core count has been a common way to distinguish between better and worse product lines with PC CPUs for nearly decades now.

Those people getting that kind of marketing from Intel and AMD for so long are why we have to explain why a 7800X3D is a better choice than a 7950X for playing games.

But it has more cores it has to be better!!!

That one has PE cores so it really knows how to get some work out!!! I'm gonna get it instead.

They makes me sad
      In other words... Apple is just sticking to "Bigger number better" just with a different set of numbers. Everyone in semi-conductors plays this game at some point, unless you are talking about "nodes".

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

If you work in audio, nothing beats a Mac. NO-THING.

For the rest...
        Same thing for video work, the M powered Macs are unbeatable for certain types of video work, specifically where ProRes is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Apple proves once again that it is the most sophisticated CPU company in the world surpassing Intel, AMD and Nvidia. No other company in the world is capable of producing a CPU with a desktop performant integrated GPU as well as the world’s most performant NPU on a consumer device all tied together with a zero copy heterogeneous memory protocol. All on the smallest node with the best compute power to power draw efficiency of any platform from the Big 3. The only other company even close to being capable of this feat is Qualcomm and that’s only because they bought Nuvia three years ago and Nuvia was founded by ex-Apple Silicon engineers and designers.

And when I say the Big 3 are not capable of producing a chip as capable and on such a small node and with such power efficiency that it needs no fan I really mean that Intel and AMD and Nvidia are technically incapable of producing a chip like Apple Silicon’s M4.
          They sure do a good job of paying for earliest access of the best node, and having different design goals from the rest of the market which does more space-efficient designs.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            More importantly, both NVIDIA and AMD are rumored to be releasing their own ARM processors in 2025
            Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

In other words... Apple is just sticking to "Bigger number better" just with a different set of numbers. Everyone in semi-conductors plays this game at some point, unless you are talking about "nodes".
              Pretty much, yep. Not that 10 cores doesn't mean 4 of these and 6 of those, but, then again, 4 of those and 6 of these doesn't necessarily equal 10. At some point it's like calling a hardware audio decoder a core because it's on the CPU's die space.

Comment

I am not exactly a fan of Apple but they get one thing right with the M series CPUs. A larger number is supposed to be better. Simple and easy to follow unlike the mess x86 cpus (and sockets) are with all the skylake, coffee lake, loch Ness lake and god knows what lake. AMD is not bad with their zen stuff really, but there too it is all to many models to keep track of for simple consumers.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  I am not exactly a fan of Apple but they get one thing right with the M series CPUs. A larger number is supposed to be better. Simple and easy to follow unlike the mess x86 cpus (and sockets) are with all the skylake, coffee lake, loch Ness lake and god knows what lake. AMD is not bad with their zen stuff really, but there too it is all to many models to keep track of for simple consumers.
                  Naming could definitely be better across the industry, but that's a bit of apples to oranges comparison. Apple has a handful of SOCs for a handful of devices as an extremely vertically integrated company. AMD and Intel are providing the equivalent to any and all industries. It's natural that they would have a hell of a lot more SKUs than Apple. Trying to get as much money as they can through binning / die harvesting is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by saboya View Post

If you buy a Mac for gaming, you're just wrong.

It's a beast work machine though.
                    With such terrible UX and performance? Good joke. Maybe only for some graphical applications that aren't available under Linux. Otherwise there's nothing interesting there.

Comment

Originally posted by opticblu View Post

“I can’t imagine buying a PlayStation 5 Pro; it probably has terrible Final Cut Pro support”
                      You don't say? Macos can't utilize full CPUs power in anything, so try again with better analogy. It's like buying Ferrari and having old grandpa as a driver. And this grandpa isn't Enzo.
                      Last edited by Volta; 07 May 2024, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X