AMD Announces Ryzen Embedded 8000 Series With Focus On Industrial AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    In "embedded world" things take longer. That is normal.
    And Zen1 was already pretty good; just that its successors were even better. ;-)
    Zen 2 embedded was announced 3 years and 5 months ago. And despite being based on the same AM4 platform with only minor technical differences it is still not sold anywhere in volume. This is NOT normal.

Also, Zen1 was really not that good. While a great leap compared to what AMD had offered during the dark times of Bulldozer, it was still 15-20% behind in single core performance compared to Intel at the time. Zen1 was only well received because it offered many cores (8C/16T in the Ryzen 1700 at a time where intel was offering 4C/8T). And guess how many cores you get in a Ryzen based Synology DiskStation DS723+ in 2024? You get TWO Cores (+ Hyperthreading).

Originally posted by coder View Post
    It had over 50% greater IPC than AMD's prior cores.
    Single Core speed of Zen4 is about 2x-2.5x compared to that of Zen1. Still only shipping Zen1 cores as embedded systems in 2024 is both laughable and inexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
      oh you too have bought the AI trend , how sweet.
      That has nothing to do with anything. It's an irrefutable fact that these SoCs contain XDNA blocks, and those are designed to accelerate neural network inferencing, which is commonly referred to as "AI".

You seemed to ask a question in good faith, which I have tried to answer as clearly as I could. Nobody cares about your personal feelings towards AI and nobody likes a troll. If that's all you're here for, please fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
        Single Core speed of Zen4 is about 2x-2.5x compared to that of Zen1. Still only shipping Zen1 cores as embedded systems in 2024 is both laughable and inexcusable.
        You don't seem to get it. Often times, what's required of an embedded solution is that it be cheap & reliable. Performance-wise, it merely needs to be adequate. If Zen 1 fits the bill, then a company has no incentive to re-engineer their product to use the latest & greatest CPU. That engineering & validation effort costs money, not to mention the higher unit-cost of using the newer chips, yet would likely offer no perceived benefit to the end user.

Furthermore, because of these reasons, industrial equipment makers often require embedded chips to have long-term availability windows (10 years is not atypical), specifically so they don't have to frequently re-engineer their products and then support a whole bunch of different versions in the field.

You clearly don't understand this market. It's funny how strong people's opinions can be of something they don't understand.
        Last edited by coder; 04 April 2024, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos
          Feelings hurt because I said AI was a trend ?
          No, I only care about the opinion of people I respect, and you've yet to show a reason you deserve any of that.

​Call me a troll, insult me, I dont care, I am used to it in this forum from low people like you.
          You're just here to waste time of well-meaning folks, just to have an audience to grind your axe. We don't need any more of that, here.

I'm not complaining that you want to rant about AI. Just that, if that was your intention, you could've been clear about it, from the outset. Don't try to rope someone in via leading questions.

​Tell me which embedded systems will need those Ryzen Embedded 8000 Series ?
          I could make some educated guesses, but I've run out of patience for you.
          Last edited by coder; 05 April 2024, 01:50 AM.

Comment

No, I only care about the opinion of people I respect, and you've yet to show a reason you deserve any of that.
            You're just here to waste time of well-meaning folks, just to have an audience to grind your axe. We don't need any more of that, here.
            I'm not complaining that you want to rant about AI. Just that, if that was your intention, you could've been clear about it, from the outset. Don't try to rope someone in via leading questions.
            I could make some educated guesses, but I've run out of patience for you.
            So you insult me because I said AI is a trend ? Ok let me repeat it, AI is a trend.
            My ideas and opinions dont please you ? Block me. I dont care.

Comment

So you insult me because I said AI is a trend ?
              Nope, because you were asking leading questions just to rope me into a pitched battle about AI. That's called being disingenuous. No thanks.

Even now, you're still trying. It's beyond belief.

Comment

Nope, because you were asking leading questions just to rope me into a pitched battle about AI. That's called being disingenuous. No thanks.
                Even now, you're still trying. It's beyond belief.
                You are a liar and a dictator and even worse I think. A very bad person, like so many in this forum.

That AMD jumps on the AI wagon and tries to make money is normal.
                I wanted to know more so I asked questions.

I think that AI is a trend and you will never stop me expressing my opinion, I will never let people like you be a dictator .

Now block me if you dont like my opinions !!
                I will never stop expressing my opinion, never. Just be certain of it !!

Comment

You are a liar and a dictator and even worse I think.
                  It's funny how you call me a dictator, but I really don't care if you want to bitch about AI all day. The only thing I care about is that you don't troll me into a debate over it.

like so many in this forum.
                  Okay, so fuck off and don't come back.

Now block me if you dont like my opinions !!
                  I will never stop expressing my opinion, never. Just be certain of it !!
                  This literally never was about your opinion, it's about your behavior. Since you accuse me of being a liar and dictator, I'll repay the favor and point out that you're being a narcissist, because you seem unable to see or accept that there may have been a problem in your own actions.

Comment

it's funny how you call me a dictator, but i really don't care if you want to bitch about ai all day. The only thing i care about is that you don't troll me into a debate over it.

Okay, so fuck off and don't come back.

This literally never was about your opinion, it's about your behavior. Since you accuse me of being a liar and dictator, i'll repay the favor and point out that you're being a narcissist, because you seem unable to see or accept that there may have been a problem in your own actions.
                    ai is a trend.
                    Amd wants to make money on that trend.

Comment

ai is a trend.
                      Amd wants to make money on that trend.
                      You're a trend. Dummies are a trend. How can anyone with half a brain think AI is 'just a trend?'

Comment

Working...
                      X