Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Yes, please, you're so funny. You could also check this for even more fun:

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/der8auer---------------------------------------------------------Save 10% on your iFixit purchase: DER8AUER10h...

Here's a nice pic from this video:

If undervolting is so great, why doesn't the CPU do it out-of-the-box? I'm sure there are good reasons why not. Therefore, it cannot be posed as a serious solution. It will not work perfectly for everyone, and that turns what should be a reliable computing experience into a finicky crapshoot.

Also, I think it's unfair to compare tuned Intel to stock AMD (or vice versa). On the plus side, at least it shows that you're a fanboy or shill.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      If undervolting is so great, why doesn't the CPU do it out-of-the-box? I'm sure there are good reasons why not. Therefore, it cannot be posed as a serious solution. It will not work perfectly for everyone, and that turns what should be a reliable computing experience into a finicky crapshoot.

Also, I think it's unfair to compare tuned Intel to stock AMD (or vice versa). On the plus side, at least it shows that you're a fanboy or shill.
      Intel made RPL to be as fast as possible at the expense of power consumption.
      AMD made Zen 3D CPUs to be efficient since the 3D cache poses its own challenges thus AMD was basically forced to do it.

Mind the difference and then maybe we shouldn't even compare them or make fun of Intel. They will have their 3D moment sooner or later. It's not some sorcery available only to AMD.

Intel already had Broadwell with a large fourth level cache. And it was super efficient for apps not fitting into L1/L2/L3 caches:

According to AMD fans Intel is incapable and stagnant while they released the "3D" cache more than a decade before AMD did.
      Last edited by avis; 14 March 2024, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Anything Intel or NVIDIA is slammed here, anything AMD is praised or if AMD releases suboptimal products, people don't even talk about their issues too much.
        It's not a cult or slamming. If I understand correctly you live in USA, so this may effect you less because of your market and luxury of big physical shops like Microcenter and their offers, but there are a lot of regions in the world where AMD products offer a lot more value than Intel or NVIDIA products. Naturally, there are some people in this forum affected by this, who are enthusiastic towards AMD.

And why should AMD not be praised for ZEN4? It's a well balanced, great architecture. ZEN5 will be the same most likely. I don't remember you complaining about people praising Intel Core or Sandy Bridge, which were also rightfully praised.

Comment

I'm surprised they included all the losses in performance slideshow, that waws 50% of all presented!?

In reality they probably take a loss on 85% of workloads, at minimum!

Comment

Here's a nice pic from this video:

Here is a nice picture from the same channel for the i9 14900KS today:

Screenshot_20240314_205110.jpg

The i9 14900KS has 1 FPS over 7950X3D with faster RAM and more than 3x the power draw. Brutal. Up to 400W under full load.
            Last edited by pizzapill; 14 March 2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

You've been here for 15 years and you're really asking these questions? Anything Intel or NVIDIA is slammed here, anything AMD is praised or if AMD releases suboptimal products, people don't even talk about their issues too much.
              As others have pointed you, anyone here had anything to say against Intel when they manufactured decent processors. When they make indecent processors, rightly people complaints about. It is as simple as it could be. Only a fanboy can't see it.

[/quote]

And I don't understand how posting a ton of information and arguments can be considered "emotional". Maybe you're looking into my messages too much?
              The fact that you don't understand it, it does not mean it is so. Deal with it.

As for Europe, yeah, you've got peculiar pricing. You still can solve it by purchasing stuff from the US or even China (aliexpress, JD, taobao, alibaba, etc.)

And https://geizhals.eu/ doesn't show any deals either. Weird.
              AHaha, what a nice solution . I prefer not.
              By the way, "our peculiar pricing" means that the 13700k you mentioned before costs 380€ here in EU and 370$ in USA. Can't see the peculiarity, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                Did Intel just dust off their Prescott playbook? History doesn't repeat, but it indeed rhymes...
                Looking for an innovative way to heat your home this winter? 14900KS has you covered.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  They've been releasing "KS" versions of each i9, for a few generations now. In addition to increasing the max & base clock speeds, note that the recommended "Base Power" (aka PL1) of the KS-series is 150 W, rather than the normal 125 W.

Also, note that these power limits are configurable (both up & down!). Even on a non-K CPU, you can set arbitrary values. This can give you the effect of an all-core overclock, in the sense that they run much higher than the base frequencies. However, it's not technically overclocking, since the absolute top frequency limits are still respected.
                  Note the fine print on intel's site, where that 150w TDP is only when running at the base frequency. If you have the turbo boost feature enabled, 14900ks peaks at over 250w. Yikes, and no thanks.

Comment

No thanks, this is a shit CPU.
                    It's too expensive, consumes way too much power and yields way too much heat.

Intel needs a more compelling offer, something more energy efficient that consumes less power and yields less heat. They need bring that stripped down X86S.

Comment

Electricity bill stronk 📈

Comment

Working...
                      X