Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches Core i9 14900KS, Clocking Up To 6.2GHz

Phoronix: Intel Launches Core i9 14900KS, Clocking Up To 6.2GHz

Intel today is introducing the Core i9 14900KS as their newest "world's fastest desktop processor" with up to 6.2GHz clock frequencies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In terms of frequency, yeah, the fastest. In terms of performance in various applications, nope. Zen 4 with 3D cache runs circles around it in many workloads, specially in games at resolutions below 1440p.

Let's see what Arrow Lake brings to the table but I'm 95% sure Zen 5 will beat it efficiency-wise.

Comment

Did Intel just dust off their Prescott playbook? History doesn't repeat, but it indeed rhymes...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        Did Intel just dust off their Prescott playbook? History doesn't repeat, but it indeed rhymes...
        It's a CPU for uber OC'ing (9.1GHz is not a joke) and rare people liking to show off. It literally makes no sense considering its negligible performance uplift over 14900K. Nah, this has nothing similar to Prescott where the whole lineup was mis-architectured and ultimately abandoned.

Comment

$100 for an extra 0.2. On paper. Not even a proper stat, that's the extra for "thermal velocity boost". Also an extra 0.1 to "turbo boost max technology 3.0", another dubious stat. The only legit stat that's gone up is the "up to" of e core max turbo frequency, by 0.1 to 4.5.

Actually scratch that, base power draw went up by 25W to 150W. So you really do get more stats for your money.

Comment

Intel: space heaters that also do math.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpjs View Post
              intel: Space heaters that also do math.
              hater detected , hater detected , hater detected

Comment

Jesus Christ. They use gaming results where it was compared with AMD's 2nd best gaming CPU and the KS is still equal or loses nearly half the time. You'd have to be Kompletely Stupid to buy this thing.

Also, reading 12 new verified titles for a processor in 2024 is extremely hilarious. Like, you're X86. That's not something to be proud of. It's just funny how multi-threaded applications don't seem to perform well with these mixed CPUs so Intel and AMD both need CPU scheduler profiles to ensure the high performance application actually uses the high performance core.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It's a CPU for uber OC'ing (9.1GHz is not a joke) and rare people liking to show off. It literally makes no sense considering its negligible performance uplift over 14900K. Nah, this has nothing similar to Prescott where the whole lineup was mis-architectured and ultimately abandoned.
                  and the 14900k made little sense over the 13900k as well. the only processor sku from 14th gen worth considering is the 14700k due to the e core increase for multithreading. if you already have a 13700k / 13900k there is absolutely no reason to adopt 14th gen.

i love my 13900k, but the 14th gen was pointless. they should have just kept the 13th gen branding because 14th gen is down to the T, raptor lake. even that intel boost thing for games that's windows only is being ported over to 13th gen because there is quite literately no technology difference. 14900k should have been the 13950k, etc.

at least 13th gen over 12th gen brought increased l2 cache. at least there something different.
                  Last edited by pieman; 14 March 2024, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
                    hater detected , hater detected , hater detected
                    I don't hate Intel. I dislike the tactic of just raising power limits and passing that off as innovation.

Comment

Working...
                    X