Intel Launches Core i9 14900KS, Clocking Up To 6.2GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    The T-series is nice, but you give up a fair amount of performance. IMO, a better option for most people is probably something like the R9 7900 (non-X), which runs at 65 W (88 W boost) with 89% as much multithreaded performance as the X version.

This very nice article lets you explore the power/performance scaling of Ryzen 7000 and Intel Gen 13. Note that if you read it via Google Translate, you lose the benefit of the interactive graphs.
    The person asked specifically for an Intel CPU. Ryzen 7 7800X3D is a much better option anyways:

The Intel Core i9-14900KS reaches impressive clock frequencies up to 6.2 GHz, which yields remarkable performance in applications and gaming. However, this comes at the cost of serious power consumption, especially if you go beyond stock, where we saw over 500 W during testing.

Even without downclocking/undervolting.

Comment

The Pentium 4 would be proud. It's dream of breaking the 6Ghz barrier has finally come true.

"Are ya winning son?" "I am dad."

Comment

On the topic of high-powered Raptor Lake CPUs, some recent stability problems have been coming to light:

Intel's high-end Raptor Lake and Raptor Lake Refresh desktop processors are prone to crashes especially in games based on Unreal Engine. While this could be blamed on GPUs or silicon lottery at first sight, the actual cause for the CPU instability is the overprovisioned power settings on the motherboard.

I've seen reports that undervolting + disabling CEP can mitigate the issue. However, I believe only Gen 14 supports CEP-disabling, which leaves Gen 13 K-series owners without a solution that doesn't sacrifice performance.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
            i love my 13900k, but the 14th gen was pointless.
            I read in the past that intel has contracts with ODMs/OEMs (think Dell, HP) to provide a new generation (higher number) each year. Don't know whether it's still true,
            but I certainly believe that the average customer is thinking higher number equals better.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Does Intel force you or anyone else buy their CPUs? No? Maybe there's no competition or better products in terms of performance per price?

Why do people get so wound up about such things on the internet? Move along. Live happily ever after.
              People is not "wound up" because a new cpu is presented, people just discuss of what is being presented.

In this case, it is more of the same overclocked and insane power absorbing jokes Intel is providing in the last couple of years.

So, instead of focusing to real market, lowering their prices and trying to have some good competition, Intel is rather pushing the limits of ridicolousness to appear on top of the benchmark charts and stretch their product price list.

I was considering an i5-14500 for my next setup, yet it costs like a ryzen 7700 and the ryzen is superior by far in all tasks.

Comment

Still can't beat 7800x3d? And again can't do anything but raising frequencies. 6 Ghz now LOL. Nothing against high frequencies, but that looks desperate and pathetic from Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It's a CPU for uber OC'ing (9.1GHz is not a joke) and rare people liking to show off. It literally makes no sense considering its negligible performance uplift over 14900K. Nah, this has nothing similar to Prescott where the whole lineup was mis-architectured and ultimately abandoned.
                  All architectures are "ulimately abandoned". Intel did a good thing when they presented the Pentium 4 Northwood, which was decent, then to run frequencies higher decided to go from a 20-stages pipeline (Northwood) to 31-stages pipeline (Prescott), skyrocketing with power absorpion and losing performance per clock.
                  Prescott although was not the last of the family; then came Presler, which was the same but built on 65nm, reducing a bit the power usage, but still with ridicolous performances against the really multicore cpus like Athlon64.

It's a bit nowadays: when Intel loses on the architecture, frequencies and power absorpion go higher and higher...

Comment

The king is back.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      On the topic of high-powered Raptor Lake CPUs, some recent stability problems have been coming to light:

Intel's high-end Raptor Lake and Raptor Lake Refresh desktop processors are prone to crashes especially in games based on Unreal Engine. While this could be blamed on GPUs or silicon lottery at first sight, the actual cause for the CPU instability is the overprovisioned power settings on the motherboard.

I've seen reports that undervolting + disabling CEP can mitigate the issue. However, I believe only Gen 14 supports CEP-disabling, which leaves Gen 13 K-series owners without a solution that doesn't sacrifice performance.
                      I read somewhere that CEP is an internal feature of the Intel processors that is keeping the frequency higher but throttles the CPU when there is a sudden voltage drop that could disrupt signals and cause corruption. I am afraid that disabling CEP may, in such cases, cause instability. Looks like on Intel processors you can choose what source of instability you prefer; they will also sell that as a feature

Comment

Working...
                      X