AMD Ryzen 8500G / 8600G / 8700G Performance @ 35 Watt & 45 Watt cTDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 8500G / 8600G / 8700G Performance @ 35 Watt & 45 Watt cTDP

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 8500G / 8600G / 8700G Performance @ 35 Watt & 45 Watt cTDP

Following the Linux reviews of the Ryzen 7 8700G, Ryzen 5 8600G, and Ryzen 5 8500G Zen 4 + RDNA3 desktop APUs, here is another look at these parts when making use of the lower configurable TDP options for these AM5 chips. All three of these new parts were re-tested at both 35 and 45 Watt cTDPs for seeing the impact on performance and power efficiency.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, 45W seems to be the way to go with this generation. It should be the standard.

Comment

It also shows the value of big silicon area, being run at lower frequencies.

8700G at 45W and sometimes even 35W TDP performs close to 8600G at default TDP.

Same seems to hold for iGPU part.
      Which is why it would be nice to see such an APU with 16C, 32 or 40 CU iGPU, both chiplets 3D-cached, MCRDIMM-ed and with max TDP at 170+W range

Comment

Hmm, this makes me really reconsider these. Still, the full system would cost so much thanks to crazy mobo pricing mini ITX A620 mobos are very rare and stupidly expensive.

The 8300G seems like the sweet spot, OF COURSE it has to be OEM-only...

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Hmm, this makes me really reconsider these. Still, the full system would cost so much thanks to crazy mobo pricing mini ITX A620 mobos are very rare and stupidly expensive.
          I see some ITX A620s for under $140. That's not cheap but it's not stupidly expensive either. Remember: a lot of what you're paying for with ITX is components that are soldered on both sides of the board. This significantly increases the cost of manufacturing. Considering the size of modern CPU sockets, it's just not possible to fit everything on one side.
          You may be better off getting BGA chips (AMD's H or U series). There aren't a lot of ITX options, but there are some.

Comment

These are great numbers, but I just upgraded my media server to a 4600G 16 months ago and there's no compelling reason to buy everything new again. But when I need to upgrade in the future it will of course be another all AMD system, as I would never buy anything from Intel or Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

The 8300G seems like the sweet spot, OF COURSE it has to be OEM-only...
              You can always buy OEM only parts on Aliexpress

Comment

Thanks for these comparisons. I've stayed with 5700G (below Ryzen 6000) because of Pluton. I'm glad to see 5700G still compares reasonably well in tests like fps/watt and others.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

You can always buy OEM only parts on Aliexpress
                  Except I don't want to buy OEM only parts, since they're built into random fixed mini PCs that I can't modify in any way. I want to build my own. Additionally, the 8300G is not up on Aliexpress. Or... anywhere else for that matter.

Comment

Just came across this video though, so you might have to redo these tests after the BIOS bugs are ironed out:

Use code "STAP" for 10% off the GN store while it lasts! https://store.gamersnexus.net/ We're almost sold out of our Limited Disappointment Tour PC T-shirts!...

Comment

Working...
                    X