AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I've also felt that a G3D model (with the v-cache dedicated to the GPU cores) is the kind of thing where AMD would have another best-selling chip. A 8600G3D with 780M graphics for $275 would make for an excellent entry-level gaming system.
    There have been rumors swirling for a while of a Strix Halo part with up to 16 Zen 5 cores and a 40 CU RDNA 3.5 GPU. Even if that ended up being 8 perf cores and 8 zen5c cores (or just 8 perf cores), that would be one hell of an APU.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I've also felt that a G3D model (with the v-cache dedicated to the GPU cores) is the kind of thing where AMD would have another best-selling chip. A 8600G3D with 780M graphics for $275 would make for an excellent entry-level gaming system.
      That'd be a banger of a CPU for desktops, laptops, gaming handhelds, and more.

Comment

Wow! What an upgrade from 5700G! It is worth upgrading both motherboard and RAM for this kind of a performance increase.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

There have been rumors swirling for a while of a Strix Halo part with up to 16 Zen 5 cores and a 40 CU RDNA 3.5 GPU. Even if that ended up being 8 perf cores and 8 zen5c cores (or just 8 perf cores), that would be one hell of an APU.
          can't help but feeling that if you ever needed to send up some serious compute power into space then strix halo would be great:
          2x eight core clusters - run the operations in parallel on each cluster to error check
          lots of shaders with rOCM support for geenral compute.
          NPU because,... well, why not!
          lots of DDR5 bandwidth (with good ecc capabilities).

underclock it down to 30W, then install four of them, two running in parallel, one hot-spare, one redundant spare.

Comment

This review was very helpful, as I've been looking at whether finally upgrading my 10-years-old i7 4785T DDR3L GTX 970 desktop would be worthwhile.

I'm surprised the 5600 series APUs are less power hungry, considering the 7000 series CPUs with no graphics are so much more efficient than the equivalent 5000 series, but considering how AMD's GPU department seems incapable of making a power-efficiency-leader GPU I guess that applies to their cut-down-for-APUs versions too.

Now if only the 5800X3D wasn't still over US$300. The entire build I'm looking at is nearly a thousand, which is way out of my price range, despite using mildly older parts.

All that aside, a bit of a rant:
            There's also Realtek 2.5G networking
            Nearly everything has Realtek's mediocre hardware, and thus their bare-minimum drivers. I've been hating it ever since I discovered the power consumption of my Thinkpad A475's Realtek ethernet is more than any other component, and iirc as much as the rest of the machine combined.

Worst part of that is there are only a few B550/B650 boards which provide an alternative, that alternative is Intel 2.5G, and said Intel NIC has a major firmware bug that requires running Windows to fix so not an option.

Which means the best I can hope for is to disable the onboard NIC, hope that actually powers it off, and spend money and a valuable PCIe slot on a dedicated networking card without the problems. More $$$ down the toilet either way.

(I don't even WANT to buy x86_64, but the only upgradeable alternatives (a Talos II machine or an ARM dev system I saw on YouTube yesterday) are also >$1000 and come with all the pain points of non-x86_64, gaming performance and glitches through several layers of translation aside.)

At this point, I'd almost be better off dropping a couple hundred on a 5775C and an RX 5650X or whatever, but that's still expensive and on a long-dead H97 platform for more power consumption and not a lot more performance.

Comment

Meh, numbers are a bit weird to me, expecially on the GPU front: such low efficiency compared to a device with three generations older architecture is very weird.

According to tests from anandtech, in some other CPU side benchmarks the 8600G is scoring much better than 8700G, which is not exactly expected: https://www.anandtech.com/show/21242...8600g-review/4

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

When I mean thermals is in regards to delivering an accurate assessment for the 7840U/7840HS performance in a small form factor desktop rather than a laptop form factor...

If benchmarking just a laptop and comparing it to desktop CPUs as for portraying the mini-PC performance capabilities isn't necessarily accurate due to the different form factors / thermal behavior.
                I see where you are coming from.

​​​​​

Comment

Michael Pretty please, could you include hardware acceleration video capabilities in descriptions of hardware with such capabilities? And potentially somehow in tests too (screen capture performance while gaming comes to mind)? For instance a dump of vainfo.

Per wikipedia this generation contains the Video Core Next 4.0, which supports encode/decode for h264,AV1. and decode of h265, VC-1, VP9, jpeg. The lack of encode of h265 seems a bit weird...

I'm now sure I want this generation as an upgrade to my home server/NAS/multimedia player, and hw accelerated video decode/encode/transcode (using vaapi) is quite an important factor.
                  You know: playing back/live transcoding a 4k video without stuttering while not hindering too much my CI for personal projects...

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder mentions hw h265 encode as supported.
                  edit2: misread vc-1: not supported.
                  Last edited by Serafean; 29 January 2024, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    Per wikipedia this generation contains the Video Core Next 4.0, which supports encode/decode for h264,AV1. and decode of h265, VC-1, VP9, jpeg. The lack of encode of h265 seems a bit weird...
                    Well, most of the table is just grey. I wouldn't consider this at all. In the text above it even says that HEVC enc is supported (and has been since VCE3.1 or something).
                    Better check this table

Does the 8500G have a release date yet? The z4c cores might be interesting in this APU.

Comment

Meh. THis thing looks kind of like albatros to me. Yes, it's generationally better than last-gen, but still without clear use case.
                      It seems better to me to go for 770x + low-end dGPU.

I'm waiting for next-gen APUs. Something that will leverage 3D Vcache on both CPU and iGPU tile, prefferrably with MCRDIMM bandwidth doubler and nice number of CPU and iGPU cores and higher TDP.

Comment

Working...
                      X