AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alsweetex View Post

I do have EXPO enabled in order to run my RAM at its rated speed of 6000, so this evening I'll try disabling this to run at the JEDEC 4800 speed it ran at during initial boot and see if it stops Linux from crashing when power_dpm_force_performance_level isn't set to low for me. I'll report back if it has an effect but I don't actually want to mess around with voltages otherwise.
    Just to clarify, the GPU reset crash and my green screen of death were unrelated, the GPU reset seems to have been fixed with updates, if you're not already you should try running at least kernel 6.7.6, I gamed for 3 hours straight last night with no crashes or green screens, that was with no extra kernel boot parameters, and with the dpm performance level on auto.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post

Just to clarify, the GPU reset crash and my green screen of death were unrelated, the GPU reset seems to have been fixed with updates, if you're not already you should try running at least kernel 6.7.6, I gamed for 3 hours straight last night with no crashes or green screens, that was with no extra kernel boot parameters, and with the dpm performance level on auto.
      Well, even with EXPO disabled, it's still crashing immediately for me. This is on Kubuntu 23.10 with kernel 6.7.9 installed and the bleeding edge mesa graphics drivers installed from
      Code:
      ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
      to see if it makes a difference. Disappointing, but I'll just use Windows on this machine to run games as it's been stable with any and all settings so far. I'll check again in a few months.

Comment

Well, even with EXPO disabled, it's still crashing immediately for me. This is on Kubuntu 23.10 with kernel 6.7.9 installed and the bleeding edge mesa graphics drivers installed from
        Code:
        ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
        to see if it makes a difference. Disappointing, but I'll just use Windows on this machine to run games as it's been stable with any and all settings so far. I'll check again in a few months.
        The only thing I can think of is if you haven't already try the latest linux-firmware package, I think kubuntu 23.10 is on version 20230919, where I'm on version 20240220

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post

The only thing I can think of is if you haven't already try the latest linux-firmware package, I think kubuntu 23.10 is on version 20230919, where I'm on version 20240220
          Thank you so much! I followed a guide, git cloned https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...x-firmware.git, made sure the main branch was checked out, renamed /lib/firmware/amdgpu to have _old at the end, copied the latest amdgpu directory from the Git repo to /lib/firmware/amdgpu, rebooted and there is no more crashing!

Ubuntu 24.04 is only a month away, which I will update to and will likely have the linux-firmware package updated enough where this wouldn't be an issue, but at least I can enjoy this right now.

Comment

Thank you so much! I followed a guide, git cloned https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...x-firmware.git, made sure the main branch was checked out, renamed /lib/firmware/amdgpu to have _old at the end, copied the latest amdgpu directory from the Git repo to /lib/firmware/amdgpu, rebooted and there is no more crashing!

Ubuntu 24.04 is only a month away, which I will update to and will likely have the linux-firmware package updated enough where this wouldn't be an issue, but at least I can enjoy this right now.
            Drivers & firmwares are available with https://repo.radeon.com/, closed & open (Mesa 3D) both.

Comment

Working...
            X