Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Linux Performance

Today the review embargo lifts on the new AMD Ryzen 7 8700G and Ryzen 5 8600G desktop APUs. Announced back during CES, the Ryzen 8000G series pairs Zen 4 CPU cores with RDNA3 graphics and now also boasting Ryzen AI support too. Today's launch article is focusing on the AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Linux performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like those are just heavily overclocked 5000G APUs, they are consistently worse in efficiency than the real 5000G APUs. Hopefully there is some eco mode to activate?

Comment

Given the ubiqity of small PCs built on 7940hs, 7840hs, 7840u, it sure would have been nice to see those in the comparisons.

Nevertheless thsnks Michael. Phoronix is the first place I look to for new CPU and GPU reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        Given the ubiqity of small PCs built on 7940hs, 7840hs, 7840u, it sure would have been nice to see those in the comparisons.

Nevertheless thsnks Michael. Phoronix is the first place I look to for new CPU and GPU reviews.
        I don't have any of those small PCs which is why I didn't test them for this desktop comparison. Comparing to the 7840HS/7840U in laptop form factor isn't as fair given the thermal differences of ultra-thin laptops, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As always, thank you Michael for your unbiased, complete review, I guess to summarize the summary, the 8700g vs 5700g has a 50%-80% faster GPU and the CPU is about 25%-35% faster. The power consumption is a little troubling so I wonder how the 8700g would compare to a 5700g + RX 6400?

I'll probably build one of these with an ITX motherboard and an RX 7600 for the heavier GPU tasks.

This release isn't revolutionary but it is nice to see AMD continuing to give some attention to APUs. I think an RX 6400 would beat the RDNA 3 on this APU, I'll bet it could pretty well come out ahead of the ARC 380.

Seeing Michael's review helps me plan out my 8700g build, thanks again Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            It seems like those are just heavily overclocked 5000G APUs, they are consistently worse in efficiency than the real 5000G APUs. Hopefully there is some eco mode to activate?
            Not really - both the CPU and GPU cores are different. I'm sure overclocking a 5700G to compete with the 8700G would result in the former with a much higher power draw. Based on what Michael said, it seems the drivers are still pretty immature so there's likely a lot of room for either better performance or improved efficiency. On the other hand, the performance gain is substantial, and performance often doesn't scale linearly with wattage (especially across different architectures).
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 29 January 2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't have any of those small PCs which is why I didn't test them for this desktop comparison. Comparing to the 7840HS/7840U in laptop form factor isn't as fair given the thermal differences of ultra-thin laptops, etc.
              Can't test if you don't have them, that's cool.

WRT fairness... I use a 7940hs laptop and 5700x & 5900x desktops. Compiling C++ code and gaming. At least as far as CPU performance goes they are by no means incomparable. I argue people choose based on perf and perf/price much more than they do on thermals...
              Last edited by hoohoo; 29 January 2024, 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

Can't test if you don't have them, that's cool.

WRT fairness... I use a 7940hs laptop and 5700x & 5900x desktops. Compiling C++ code and gaming. At least as far as CPU performance goes they are by no means incomparable. I argue people choose based on perf and perf/price much more than they do on thermals...
                When I mean thermals is in regards to delivering an accurate assessment for the 7840U/7840HS performance in a small form factor desktop rather than a laptop form factor...

If benchmarking just a laptop and comparing it to desktop CPUs as for portraying the mini-PC performance capabilities isn't necessarily accurate due to the different form factors / thermal behavior.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That's the same motherboard I have

Based on the performance of the iGPU I really hope AMD considers an 8 core "G3D" solution...a CPU with a bunch of cache combined their top of the line iGPU. It sucks that we have to compromise with either the good iGPU or the good CPU cores that are faster with higher cache when buying AMD processors. I realize that sounds negative because, back in the day when AMD started really pushing their concept of an APU with things like the A10 and A12, the 8700G's iGPU performance is what I was always hoping that we'd get.

We're finally there with the iGPU performance we've always wanted but there's still that one niggling compromise of pick one, not both, in regards to AMD's top of the line, best in class CPU cores and iGPUs

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Based on the performance of the iGPU I really hope AMD considers an 8 core "G3D" solution...a CPU with a bunch of cache combined their top of the line iGPU. It sucks that we have to compromise with either the good iGPU or the good CPU cores that are faster with higher cache when buying AMD processors. I realize that sounds negative because, back in the day when AMD started really pushing their concept of an APU with things like the A10 and A12, the 8700G's iGPU performance is what I was always hoping that we'd get.
                    I've also felt that a G3D model (with the v-cache dedicated to the GPU cores) is the kind of thing where AMD would have another best-selling chip. A 8600G3D with 780M graphics for $275 would make for an excellent entry-level gaming system.

Comment

Working...
                    X