Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest86+ 7.0 Released With IMC Polling & Initial ECC Polling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Memtest86+ 7.0 Released With IMC Polling & Initial ECC Polling

    Phoronix: Memtest86+ 7.0 Released With IMC Polling & Initial ECC Polling

    Debuting in late 2022 was memtest86+ 6.0 as a rewrite of this long-used open-source RAM tester. Coming out today is memtest86+ 7.0 as the latest major update to this leading PC memory testing solution...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    I feel like running this on already known stable systems just to see how it looks. Can't wait to use it to help prove out a new config as well. It's been a part of my standard new hardware bring up procedure for decades. First this and then a few runs of prime95/mprime doing torture tests. If all of that passes, then the memory, CPU, power, and cooling are probably good enough for normal work. For desktops, some GPU tests after the OS is installed are helpful as well--assuming it has a DGPU.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope all these features get into Linux kernel and a special model gets added with some interfaces (TUI, GUI, serial, SSH, etc.).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by willmore View Post
        I feel like running this on already known stable systems just to see how it looks.

        I run it once a month overnight. I had RAM go bad that was initially good three times in the last 15 years. Last time this happened was two months ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I hope all these features get into Linux kernel and a special model gets added with some interfaces (TUI, GUI, serial, SSH, etc.).
          that's not really possible as you cant test ram while the system is running.
          some very early ram tester even ran from gpu memory so they could test all of the system ram.

          if you just want a quick and dirty "does my xml/ram overclock"-works test just use stress-ng

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RealNC View Post


            I run it once a month overnight. I had RAM go bad that was initially good three times in the last 15 years. Last time this happened was two months ago.
            That's not a bad idea. I wonder if the authors would be receptive to some kind of way to integrate it into an automated setup. It would need to accept some run parameters from the UEFI settings and it would need to return some kind of results the same way for the host OS to log.

            I assume there's some kind of infrastructure in UEFI for this kind of thing, but I'm not familiar with it.

            Comment


            • #7
              MemTest86+ is great except neither RedHat, nor Microsoft want to digitally sign it, thus it won't work with Secure Boot on which is a bummer, that's why I've long switched to MemTest86.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by avis View Post
                MemTest86+ is great except neither RedHat, nor Microsoft want to digitally sign it, thus it won't work with Secure Boot on which is a bummer, that's why I've long switched to MemTest86.
                It seems memtest86+ has supported secure boot since 6.10, per this article https://www.phoronix.com/news/memtest86-plus-6.10

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just in time for commissioning my new Threadripper build, whose motherboard arrives tomorrow.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by logical View Post

                    It seems memtest86+ has supported secure boot since 6.10, per this article https://www.phoronix.com/news/memtest86-plus-6.10
                    I tried to boot Memtest86+ 7.0 with "Secure Boot" enabled but got an error. "UEFI Boot" with "Secure Boot" disabled worked. "BIOS Boot" too.

                    EDIT:

                    memtest.org:

                    I can't boot because of a "Secure Boot Violation"


                    The Memtest86+ binary is not signed by Microsoft, so you need to temporarily disable Secure Boot in your BIOS options. We're working on a better solution.

                    ‚Äč
                    Last edited by George99; 07 January 2024, 04:49 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X