Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces Xeon E-2400 & Xeon D-1800/D-2800 CPUs

Phoronix: Intel Announces Xeon E-2400 & Xeon D-1800/D-2800 CPUs

While Intel's AI Everywhere event today was primarily focused on Core Ultra "Meteor Lake" laptop processors and 5th Gen Xeon Scalable "Emerald Rapids" processors, Intel also briefly announced their newest Xeon D and Xeon E series processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Ryzen 7000 series line-up for entry-level servers is still much more robust
    Ryzen for entry servers feels like an unfulfilled promise. Where are the motherboards that have official vendor support for ECC memory, and IPMI? I think there's like two from ASRock and that's about it. And servers from a Tier-1 vendor with 24/7 support? Non-existent as far as I can tell. Xeon E is a far more robust entry server ecosystem. AMD's last true entry server product was the Opteron 4300 series from 2013. They gave up on the entry server market since then.

Comment

The Xeon E-2400 series still (sadly) is available in up to an 8-core / 16-thread configuration
      Of course. The E-series Xeons are always just desktop models with a few different features. In this case, it's just a i9-13900 with the E-cores disabled and a 95 W TDP. Kinda ironic that an E-series Xeon has its E-cores disabled, but I guess the "E" in "Xeon E" never was about "Efficiency".

Probably the weirdest thing about that is they disabled the E-cores, yet still don't support AVX-512! How lame. Especially since the Xeon E-2300 did have AVX-512 support, as do all the higher-end Xeons of this generation. So, they had a chance to provide clear messaging about AVX-512 support (i.e. "buy a Xeon") and blew it!

What makes this generation of Xeon E particularly pointless is that they opted to support ECC memory on the upper-mainstream desktop CPU models. That used to be the main reason to buy a Xeon E-series.

Comment

The Xeon D-1800/D-2800 series is still relying on DDR4 system memory.
        That's perhaps less surprising, after I noticed they're listed as part of the Ice Lake family. Super odd, given their launch was timed to coincide with the Xeon SP family made from Raptor Cove cores. Well, at least they have AVX-512 support...

It's weird that they don't list the package specifications. The D-1800 series has a max 55 W TDP and only 2 memory channels, while the D-2800 series has a max 135 W TDP and 4 channel memory. 16 and 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes, respectively. Both single-socket, but then Xeon D always was.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Ryzen for entry servers feels like an unfulfilled promise. Where are the motherboards that have official vendor support for ECC memory, and IPMI? I think there's like two from ASRock and that's about it.
          Not sure about others, but I know Supermicro also has a model with those features.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          ​AMD's last true entry server product was the Opteron 4300 series from 2013. They gave up on the entry server market since then.
          Yeah, doesn't seem like a market they're very serious about.

Still, I'm using a Ryzen 5800X and ASRock Rack board for my home fileserver. I think it's fine for that.

Comment

Working...
          X