Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo Prepares The Linux Kernel For "Ultra-Performance Capability" On Latest ThinkPads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asriel View Post
    What I've noticed that any power change trigger firmware to reset all ryzenadj settings. The same happens when you change your power profile, so after connecting/disconnecting power or using script to change profile ryzenadj need to be re-applied.
    I use custom systemd targets and udev triggers to solve that issue.
    It gives me a nice ac-power.target and battery-power.target which are started whenever the laptop gets connected or disconnected.
    I can then add a WantedBy=ac-power.target to my overclocking service for instance, and it'll get automatically applied whenever necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post
      Tired of this ultra-performance madness. This is a laptop - not a supercomputer, so squeezing +10% of performance at expence of half battery life double heat and tripple fan noise is absolut crap. Why not do silent profile with f****g fan completely off instead of this bullshit?
      That was really funny. I'll break some news for you though: most people aren't tired of being given choice, actually from what I've see most prefer being given choice (some call that customization). If people prefer half the battery life (well if on AC this is irrelevant) for double the heat and the noise, they can press a button to activate that. If you don't like it, you just don't press the button, it's literally a no-op change for most people. So how about you stop poking where it hurts you while yelling it hurts?

Comment

My workstation dream.

Comment

Does that mean the Turbo Button works

Comment

phoronix Do you get amd p-state with Fedora out-of-box? I've only now upgraded to f39 and I still get on my E13 gen2 driver: acpi-cpufreq

Comment

If you're interested in tuning the performance of your system and you use SystemD (aviallon) you might be interested in a project I'm working on called Simple-Slices. The Github page gives a general overview, and while it's not yet production-ready, it works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Nice. But I hope ALL ThinkPad Linux gets superb Linux support someday, not just a few ones.
                Isn't it ok for almost all Thinkpads but the ones with nvidia hardware ?

I had some bad experience with a W540 (i7+nvidia) at work, but that's the only bad example I have first-hand with Linux on "recent" Thinkpads.
                And I really love my own P14s (5850U), it's just awesome.
                Btw my "old" T495 (3700U) works so well I would still use it as my main laptop if I hadn't the need/taste for moOore threads...

Comment

Working...
                X