Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo Prepares The Linux Kernel For "Ultra-Performance Capability" On Latest ThinkPads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo Prepares The Linux Kernel For "Ultra-Performance Capability" On Latest ThinkPads

Phoronix: Lenovo Prepares The Linux Kernel For "Ultra-Performance Capability" On Latest ThinkPads

A recently posted Linux kernel driver patch by Lenovo is for a new "ultra-performance capability" with their latest ThinkPad laptops for ensuring their hardware achieves the best Linux performance when in the "performance" ACPI Platform Profile while conserving the most power in the balanced and power-saving mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope lenovo will fix some acpi error for their laptop

Comment

Nice. But I hope ALL ThinkPad Linux gets superb Linux support someday, not just a few ones.

Comment

My turn to hope for something. I hope the previous generation get these improvements too. I wouldn't consider my T14 Gen 3 old in any way, shape or form. Not for at least a number of years (and after important issues have been fully resolved).

If only things were open-sourced so that we wouldn't be dependent on the manufacturers. At least then it would be possible to fix issues that either never got fixed or products that lost support altogether.

Comment

where the sockets for ram so they dont make ewaste windose laptops with 8GB ?

Comment

"Latest"

Comment

Tired of this ultra-performance madness. This is a laptop - not a supercomputer, so squeezing +10% of performance at expence of half battery life double heat and tripple fan noise is absolut crap. Why not do silent profile with f****g fan completely off instead of this bullshit?

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post
                Tired of this ultra-performance madness. This is a laptop - not a supercomputer, so squeezing +10% of performance at expence of half battery life double heat and tripple fan noise is absolut crap. Why not do silent profile with f****g fan completely off instead of this bullshit?
                You would only want to squeeze max performance when connected to power. I have a P14S 7840U with Ubuntu 23.10 (at present). The power profiles support from Gnome doesn't work in Ubuntu, even latest mainline, and neither in F39. It seems to just be stuck in balanced mode (according to what I see from ryzenadj -i), even though the UI is stuck on "Power Saving" mode.
                Mark Pearson, who is an excellent communicator on the Lenovo linux forums, says the next firmware update will fix this. This release is very held up though, Lenovo must be struggling with it.

The gnome power profilles doe however work with the Liquorix kernel, I told this to Mark, he was surprised about that, none then less, it is the case. So that's a tip for people with this laptop. Something the liquorix devs do in their configuration fixes the power profiles. liquorix is easy for Ubuntu, there is a PPA. Fedora has a COPR but it is way out of date.

I have been fiddling with the power profiles using ryzenadj. I can get about 5% higher average CPU under all core load stress test (at much more than 5% extra power) but even here the CPU temp stabilises below 85C. So there is perhaps another 5% left on the table. I bought this to replace a Tigerlake X1 because the proposition of a lot more power for essentially the same carrying weight (and same good screen) was appealing to me.

When I try to increase the power more, something else in the firmware overrides my settings and it wins. In fact, it actually reduces the power envelope limits, almost like lapmode (which is disabled) and I end up with worse performance.
                Last edited by timrichardson; 22 November 2023, 02:10 AM.

Comment

What I've noticed that any power change trigger firmware to reset all ryzenadj settings. The same happens when you change your power profile, so after connecting/disconnecting power or using script to change profile ryzenadj need to be re-applied.

Comment

awesome, i thought it was weird when Michael did his benchmarks there wasn't much difference between performance and balanced

also its a bit sad that Mark and his team weren't told about this mode ? seems they only discovered it by chance or someone finally pointed it out

Comment

Working...
                    X