TuxClocker 1.2 Released With AMD GPU Thermal Monitoring, CPU Governor Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    btw....which brand has laptops with better support for linux ?
    Dell and Microsoft are both top tier.
    Some Lenovo as well, but you must research which exact models. Then there a boutique vendors like System76 and Framework, they are in a higher price bracket.
    Definitely avoid anything HP and the Steam Deck if you're looking to run desktop Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      btw....which brand has laptops with better support for linux ? i not interested in top line for each but the affordable to cheap ones....
      Lenovo offers laptops with Linux preinstalled, like Slimbook or Tuxedo or System76 or Vant or Kubuntu Focus.

A quote: "Every few years I buy the cheapest ThinkPad and find [that] it more than meets my needs with the hardware all working nicely with free drivers".

Last edited by Nth_man; 22 October 2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Does anyone have an RDNA 3 card that can test their card with this program so the dev can have some feedback?

A condition I have for considering a 7900 XT/X gpu is fan curve/voltage control and hdmi 2.1 - (I have a 4K tv - and I am sticking with 50"+ screens so a display almost certainly won't have displayport option) - or I'll have to reluctantly choose a darn nvidia gpu again.
        Fan curve and voltage control for RDNA 3 was explicitly disabled by AMD in kernel 6.5 and will be re-enabled in 6.7 due to them changing the underlying control mechanism, but is otherwise in a working state. As for HDMI 2.1, AFAIK it's an issue of the spec not being open source and as long as that holds true, then AMD can't and won't ever include support for it in their driver. So if that's a requirement for you, then I'd say go Nvidia or you'll probably be waiting for a really long time :/

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

Fan curve and voltage control for RDNA 3 was explicitly disabled by AMD in kernel 6.5 and will be re-enabled in 6.7 due to them changing the underlying control mechanism, but is otherwise in a working state. As for HDMI 2.1, AFAIK it's an issue of the spec not being open source and as long as that holds true, then AMD can't and won't ever include support for it in their driver. So if that's a requirement for you, then I'd say go Nvidia or you'll probably be waiting for a really long time :/
          Oh right, I forgot about that tidbit of info. Thanks for reminding. But, when it's enabled again - what are the options for fan curve and voltage control - there doesn't seem to be a gui method that works unless the TuxClocker offers those options? For comparison, my understanding/impression is that nvidia cards have a few options or did: nvidia-smi, GreenWithEnvy (GWE) - which might not work eventually with the developer quitting the project and TuxClocker (I would guess it would work with nvidia cards b4 amd - even Ada cards?)?

Isn't there a lot of gamers here who use AMD cards? They don't care that hdmi 2.1 is not an option? I guess most have monitors - that include a displayport connection option?

I use a 4K TV that only has hdmi - and like the big screen so I would probably replace the tv with a 120 hz VRR /hdmi 2.1 connections instead of a monitor. Monitors larger than 32" are just too expensive. I read horror stories of using hdmi to displayport adapters - I doubt I'd go that route unless there was an overwhelming consensus that it worked how ppl wanted - and it doesn't make sense to me that it ever would/will.

Perhaps, there might be an option one day of installing some proprietary 'firmware' or data that allows a 2.1 bandwidth connection?

I believe that there's some software out there - that requires proprietary elements - so straight amdgpu driver won't be enough - I dunno if the full amdgpu-pro driver has to be installed but it needs some proprietary elements - this is different though - than the requirements for hdmi 2.1?

Yes, it's gibberish to me but I acknowledge that this is a proprietary/licensing issue:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still, if the value in the FOSS - is everything free and easy access/smooth experience in Linux- but, you have these things come up which just create obstacles - I find a lot of it just to be a hassle and an annoyance - no?

A lot of ppl including myself are either willing or wanting to 'switch'/use open source amd cards - but, there's so many issues and problems like this one. It's easier to just go with Nvidia and deal with the proprietary nonsense - there's usually workarounds or some progress. With AMD gpus - there seems to be road blocks and VERY SLOW PROGRESS - so slow that ppl give up and just buy a nvidia card - I'm thinking of doing that, too.

Comment

If you're running a modern Radeon card and use HDMI with your TV or receiver, it's probably better that you switch to a display port adapter. There's a known issue that affects nearly all of their cards where audio will skip or "duck" randomly every 5-60 seconds no matter how you're using your system.

Here's a good thread to read, just search it for "display port" or "displayport": https://community.amd.com/t5/graphic...lem/m-p/491940. People are still posting to it asking for updates on modern cards and whether the issue still exists (which it does).

There's really good adapters out there that promise 4k 120hz, VRR, HDCP, etc. Here's one that I'm using on two systems (unfortunately expensive due to all the middle man hardware reimplementing HDMI): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4FTWLCJ/.

Comment

Oh right, I forgot about that tidbit of info. Thanks for reminding. But, when it's enabled again - what are the options for fan curve and voltage control - there doesn't seem to be a gui method that works unless the TuxClocker offers those options? For comparison, my understanding/impression is that nvidia cards have a few options or did: nvidia-smi, GreenWithEnvy (GWE) - which might not work eventually with the developer quitting the project and TuxClocker (I would guess it would work with nvidia cards b4 amd - even Ada cards?)?

Isn't there a lot of gamers here who use AMD cards? They don't care that hdmi 2.1 is not an option? I guess most have monitors - that include a displayport connection option?

I use a 4K TV that only has hdmi - and like the big screen so I would probably replace the tv with a 120 hz VRR /hdmi 2.1 connections instead of a monitor. Monitors larger than 32" are just too expensive. I read horror stories of using hdmi to displayport adapters - I doubt I'd go that route unless there was an overwhelming consensus that it worked how ppl wanted - and it doesn't make sense to me that it ever would/will.

Perhaps, there might be an option one day of installing some proprietary 'firmware' or data that allows a 2.1 bandwidth connection?

I believe that there's some software out there - that requires proprietary elements - so straight amdgpu driver won't be enough - I dunno if the full amdgpu-pro driver has to be installed but it needs some proprietary elements - this is different though - than the requirements for hdmi 2.1?

Yes, it's gibberish to me but I acknowledge that this is a proprietary/licensing issue:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still, if the value in the FOSS - is everything free and easy access/smooth experience in Linux- but, you have these things come up which just create obstacles - I find a lot of it just to be a hassle and an annoyance - no?

A lot of ppl including myself are either willing or wanting to 'switch'/use open source amd cards - but, there's so many issues and problems like this one. It's easier to just go with Nvidia and deal with the proprietary nonsense - there's usually workarounds or some progress. With AMD gpus - there seems to be road blocks and VERY SLOW PROGRESS - so slow that ppl give up and just buy a nvidia card - I'm thinking of doing that, too.
              displayport exists and i use this fancy thing called a monitor, and not a tv. my fancy 7900 xtx has displayport 2.0 support so i don't care about dumb hdmi.
              Last edited by middy; 22 October 2023, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have an RDNA 3 card that can test their card with this program so the dev can have some feedback?

A condition I have for considering a 7900 XT/X gpu is fan curve/voltage control and hdmi 2.1 - (I have a 4K tv - and I am sticking with 50"+ screens so a display almost certainly won't have displayport option) - or I'll have to reluctantly choose a darn nvidia gpu again.
                So what does it (the HDMI part in particular) have to do with a monitoring utility? (you generally set the amdgpu OC values through /sys anyway)

Comment

A lot of ppl including myself are either willing or wanting to 'switch'/use open source amd cards - but, there's so many issues and problems like this one.
                  Fair enough.
                  Now all that's left is to compare it with NVIDIA's official bugtracker. /s

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                    displayport exists and i use this fancy thing called a monitor, and not a tv. my fancy 7900 xtx has displayport 2.0 support so i don't care about dumb hdmi.
                    Good for you but many displays only have hdmi - and most if not all the adapters don't fix this issue. Also, hdmi works for nvidia and intel (afaik) gpus, just not amd.

Comment

Working...
                    X