Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Make For Compelling Budget Servers, Leading Performance & Value Over Xeon E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks sophisticles. My server pulls 50 watts at idle and I would like to get it down to 40 or 30 watts at idle. I'm planning on going for a 10Gbit networking in the future and I'm not sure if that's going to put a load on my Ryzen 3 2200G CPU. I'm thinking that upgrading to Ryzen 5 7600 CPU scaled down to 65W power consumption might do the trick along with getting a new server (ASRock Pro) motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Thanks sophisticles. My server pulls 50 watts at idle and I would like to get it down to 40 or 30 watts at idle. I'm planning on going for a 10Gbit networking in the future and I'm not sure if that's going to put a load on my Ryzen 3 2200G CPU. I'm thinking that upgrading to Ryzen 5 7600 CPU scaled down to 65W power consumption might do the trick along with getting a new server (ASRock Pro) motherboard.
      My Workstation with ryzen 7 5700G on Asrock Deskmini x300 idle at < 13w with 1TB NVME + 1TB HDD, Intel Wireless X210 and 32GB RAM. Get CPU that's based from mobile like 5000 G series if you want to get low idle (i've tried using 5700u mini-pc bought from aliexpress that use < 7 watt when idle with 16GB/1TB + wifi 6). Or get Intel T version CPU along with Mini-PC like HP Elitedesk 800 G? that use < 10 watt when idle. HP Elitedesk 800 G4 mini (65watt version) with i5-8500T, 16GB/1TB + Intel AC 8265 is one of the best in efficiency IMO, at around ~4 watt (lowest 3.6 watt). But you'll downgrade your server, not upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        My sister's ITX board required a custom HSF that the board vendor sells specifically for that particular board. If you try to put a stock Intel HSF or a any standard aftermarket cooler, it'll never ever git. Even the bracket for an AIO pump won't fit unless you are willing to cut out a quarter of the bracket.
        Is the CPU soldered-down? If it is, then all bets are off. If not, then I'd expect them to implement the full socket standard, including the heatsink mount.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          ... I currently have a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU with 48GB of RAM. I currently run a couple of virtual machines in Proxmox:

Could the Ryzen 7000 series processors be of any benefit to me? Can I get less of an idle power consumption with new AMD 7000 series CPU?
          Yes, get one for the ECC RAM. Just check the motherboard docs, to ensure ECC compatibility, first.

Otherwise, I see no need for you to upgrade. However, I've been keeping my machines for about 10 years, so I'm biased towards keeping what works.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

My Workstation with ryzen 7 5700G on Asrock Deskmini x300 idle at < 13w with 1TB NVME + 1TB HDD, Intel Wireless X210 and 32GB RAM. Get CPU that's based from mobile like 5000 G series if you want to get low idle (i've tried using 5700u mini-pc bought from aliexpress that use < 7 watt when idle with 16GB/1TB + wifi 6). Or get Intel T version CPU along with Mini-PC like HP Elitedesk 800 G? that use < 10 watt when idle. HP Elitedesk 800 G4 mini (65watt version) with i5-8500T, 16GB/1TB + Intel AC 8265 is one of the best in efficiency IMO, at around ~4 watt (lowest 3.6 watt). But you'll downgrade your server, not upgrade
            Thanks. I actually prefer to build a rackmount server.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Is the CPU soldered-down? If it is, then all bets are off. If not, then I'd expect them to implement the full socket standard, including the heatsink mount.
              Asrock made a couple of X299 mini-ITX boards with the "narrow" socket (which is still an officially implemented Intel socket, but finding compatible HSFs can be troublesome if you want a high performance one) but my thoughts were similar.

My main issue with prebuilts are oddly shaped PSUs (not ATX/SFX/SFX-L/Flex-ATX, etc), custom wiring (seen a board with the 12V and 5V lines switched!) and motherboards with odd protrusions for front-panel USB sockets, etc. Dell, Lenovo, Alienware, HP et al. are very good at those sort of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

i would take it one step further, I would seriously consider not building my own server or even buying one from a vendor.

I was recently offered a job building Linux servers for a data-center and during the interview process, it was explained to me that clients could order any custom built server they wanted, the data-center would install any OS the client wanted, Windows, Linux, BSD and the client got root access to the server.

The operation was huge, they had their own dedicated diesel powered backup generator and when they said the client could order anything they wanted, they meant it, they showed me one system they built for a client that had an i7 and 2 Nvidia Tesla cards.

In all honesty, for many workloads, you are better off using the services of a company like this than building your own server or buying one from a vendor,
                They may be able to build anything cheaply for the customer, but when you start adding the labour costs and the datacentre rental fees, it's absolutely not worth it for anything other than extremely heavy use cases.

For budget and home-based solutions it's still much cheaper to get your own server.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  Get CPU that's based from mobile like 5000 G series if you want to get low idle
                  Last I heard, AMD still makes you buy Ryzen Pro APUs, if you want ECC support. And, last I checked, those are a special OEM-only product that's not available to the general public. The only way you can get one (aside from buying a prebuilt that has one), is buying one off ebay that someone pulled out of a prebuilt business-oriented machine.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I would not change a thing, you have a nice setup, based on the stats you cited it's very efficient and I think the only thing you would get by trying to "upgrade" would be spending money and time and aggravation.

I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", it seems you are nowhere near to max utilization, so I say stick with what you have.
                    Agreed. And if you ever start to hit a CPU bottleneck GraysonPeddie you can always flash a newer BIOS and drop in anything and everything from a 5600G (if you need integrated graphics) to a 5950X (if you don't). No reason to completely change platforms. I have a similar system running a 3600 in ECO mode (the board has an Aspeed BMC so I don't need integrated graphics).

Comment

Working...
                    X