Canonical Rolls Out Real-Time Ubuntu Optimized For Intel Core CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Rolls Out Real-Time Ubuntu Optimized For Intel Core CPUs

Phoronix: Canonical Rolls Out Real-Time Ubuntu Optimized For Intel Core CPUs

For a few years now Canonical has partnered with Canonical to offer Ubuntu images optimized for Intel hardware like with IoT initiatives while the latest now are new Ubuntu real-time images optimized for Intel Core usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

“For a few years now Canonical has partnered with Canonical to offer..”

Its always nice ,even heartwarming, when a company partners with itself ! -_- . Imagine the potential .

On a more serious note, I’d like to try an Ubuntu image customised for older gens,like my CML CPU .

Comment

Intel should partner with Canonical to create a Intel RISC-V single-board computer and have it supported by Ubuntu.

Comment

Intel must partner with all vendors to add support IPU6 webcam driver, as it is quite a mess, lack of upstream support is a shame for Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
          Intel must partner with all vendors to add support IPU6 webcam driver, as it is quite a mess, lack of upstream support is a shame for Intel.
          I ended up buying a webcam and stick it on my expensive Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 10 Gen ...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Intel should partner with Canonical to create a Intel RISC-V single-board computer and have it supported by Ubuntu.
            They did:
            It doesn't say anything about Ubuntu support, but you can find people installing Ubuntu on other HiFive boards. I'm guessing it'll be officially supported, once you can buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodilus View Post
              “For a few years now Canonical has partnered with Canonical to offer..”

Its always nice ,even heartwarming, when a company partners with itself ! -_- . Imagine the potential .
              I know of a few that overcame their success by consistently sabotaging itself. So that's not a given

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                They did:
                It doesn't say anything about Ubuntu support, but you can find people installing Ubuntu on other HiFive boards. I'm guessing it'll be officially supported, once you can buy it.
                Wow, this sounds very interesting!

I am surprised it uses the Intel 4 fabrication technology, I would have thought that was reserved for other stuff and they would have to use an older fabrication process.

I am also surprised to see PCI Express 5.0 being mentioned since it is new, and still rather uncommon. Though, I don't know what it is for, because PCIe gen 3 for the expansion slots, and PCI gen 3 for the M.2 SSD. It would have been great to see PCIe 5.0 for the expansion slot and the M.2 SSD slot.

It has USB 3.0 but it would have been nice to see USB 3.2 Gen 2 or even USB4.

Gigabit Ethernet and on-board graphics is mentioned, but not from which manufacturer. Audio is not mentioned at all. I would love for it to be Intel Xe graphics with Intel Gigabit Ethernet. Maybe with Intel TianoCore UEFI too, and/or Coreboot support.

Comment

I am surprised it uses the Intel 4 fabrication technology, I would have thought that was reserved for other stuff and they would have to use an older fabrication process.
                  It's a very small chip. New process nodes typically use such chips as "pipe-cleaner" products to test out and refine the process, because they're less susceptible to poor yields.

I am also surprised to see PCI Express 5.0 being mentioned since it is new, and still rather uncommon.
                  CXL 1.x uses the same PHY as PCIe 5.0. Maybe they're planning on using the chip to develop CXL drivers for RISC-V?

That's the best explanation I can think of, since it's otherwise not really a fast enough CPU to justify PCIe 5.0.

It has USB 3.0 but it would have been nice to see USB 3.2 Gen 2 or even USB4.
                  It's a development vehicle, not a general-purpose or mass-market product.

Gigabit Ethernet and on-board graphics is mentioned, but not from which manufacturer.
                  The graphics IP is either going to be from Intel or Imagination. My bet is Intel.

Comment

*makes gentoo-user noises*

Comment

Working...
                    X