Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7000 Series EDAC Support Submitted For Linux 6.5

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7000 Series EDAC Support Submitted For Linux 6.5

The Error Detection And Correction (EDAC) subsystem updates have been submitted today on this first day of the Linux 6.5 merge window. Headlining the EDAC changes this cycle is bringing AMD Zen 4 client support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is intel and intel alone who are to blame for ECC not being standard on all computers, consumer ones included. Good reason to buy an AMD chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      It is intel and intel alone who are to blame for ECC not being standard on all computers, consumer ones included. Good reason to buy an AMD chip.
      ECC ram requires 1 extra memory chip every 8, plus usually 2 others non-memory chips (which does the ECC compare and fix in real time).

I've been thinking about these types of problems for a while. I don't think ECC makes sense for most people. In gaming, non-ECC has lower latency and is available at higher clocks. But think worldwide, if every computer, laptop and cellphones had ECC, you're talking 1/8 increase in use. That's too much for almost no benefit. The bit-flip doesn't matter much when you don't even checksum your data.

For gamers, casual computer users, ECC doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

ECC ram requires 1 extra memory chip every 8, plus usually 2 others non-memory chips (which does the ECC compare and fix in real time).

I've been thinking about these types of problems for a while. I don't think ECC makes sense for most people. In gaming, non-ECC has lower latency and is available at higher clocks. But think worldwide, if every computer, laptop and cellphones had ECC, you're talking 1/8 increase in use. That's too much for almost no benefit. The bit-flip doesn't matter much when you don't even checksum your data.

For gamers, casual computer users, ECC doesn't make sense.
        Thanks Intel rep

Comment

Are there DDR5 ECC UDIMMs in the wild?

Comment

Originally posted by IActuallyKnowItAll View Post

Thanks Intel rep
            Why is this an Intel thing? ECC trades a bit of speed and latency for a huge increase in reliability. That trade-off has never, ever made sense or been the requirements of any gamer I've ever know that didn't have other motives like Systems/Development requirements or were just plain hardware nerds. Its about financial accounting and uptime, which most home users don't have either of.

Edit: Just to be clear I <3 AMD and would like a server at home with ECC RAM that didn't cost 10x what I could pay for a cheapo low end desktop running as a storage box. But why increase the BOM/cost that much when *no one wants or uses it*?

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
              Yes. https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/s...nbuffered-dimm

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post

Why is this an Intel thing? ECC trades a bit of speed and latency for a huge increase in reliability. That trade-off has never, ever made sense or been the requirements of any gamer I've ever know that didn't have other motives like Systems/Development requirements or were just plain hardware nerds. Its about financial accounting and uptime, which most home users don't have either of.

Edit: Just to be clear I <3 AMD and would like a server at home with ECC RAM that didn't cost 10x what I could pay for a cheapo low end desktop running as a storage box. But why increase the BOM/cost that much when *no one wants or uses it*?
                It's an Intel thing because Intel killed ECC on the desktop. In olden times more or less all CPUs supported first parity and then ECC memory. The price difference between ECC and non-ECC SIMMs and DIMMs was on the order of 10% (which more than covers the BOM difference). Then Intel started all their anticompetitive and market manipulation shenanigans.

Intel began using ECC as a product differentiator, ie only providing it if you were willing to buy a higher priced product and eventually removing any and all ECC support from desktop/home systems. Intel being the dominant supplier of CPUs caused the market for ECC memory to wither away. Without a mass market the price of ECC memory goes up.

Make no mistake, Intel is one of biggest anticompetitive and anticonsumer scoundrels the world has ever seen. They've been fined billions of dollars for there lawbreaking in most continents. The fines should have been bigger as they did not come close to erasing the advantage and profit that Intel gained by their mafia tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  Yes. Kingston Premier Server UDIMMs, go up to 5600 MT/s, which is not that bad at all.

Comment

By the way I run 2x32 GB ECC DDR4 3200 MT/s overclocked to 3600 MT/s, with older AM4 Ryzen, it's been running great for quite some time time now. 😃

Comment

Working...
                    X