Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Uses AI Day To Launch Genoa-X & Bergamo

Phoronix: AMD Uses AI Day To Launch Genoa-X & Bergamo

In addition to AMD announcing the Ryzen PRO 7000 series this morning, they have now announced Bergamo, Genoa-X, and other new data center offerings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, its clearly time to call my desktop a "hyperscaler PC" and upgrade! This 128 core CPU (or really SoC without a GPU) has some 5x the cache as my first dual socket Pentium 3 had total system memory!

Comment

Insert pro nvidia CUDA comment in here....

Meanwhile they come:

Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 13 June 2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Yes, its clearly time to call my desktop a "hyperscaler PC" and upgrade! This 128 core CPU (or really SoC without a GPU) has some 5x the cache as my first dual socket Pentium 3 had total system memory!
        Oh the young ones. My first PC ran Win95 with 8MB of memory, so this thing has 100x+ the cache as that system has total system memory.

There are folks on here that remember the first Amiga or Mac that had 256k or less total system memory.

The real kicker is you can fit a whole win2000 or xp pre sp1 vm inside the cache of this thing. That is just insane.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Oh the young ones. My first PC ran Win95 with 8MB of memory, so this thing has 100x+ the cache as that system has total system memory.

There are folks on here that remember the first Amiga or Mac that had 256k or less total system memory.

The real kicker is you can fit a whole win2000 or xp pre sp1 vm inside the cache of this thing. That is just insane.
          lol… my first was a Tandy 1000 with 640K-
          which I think was the upgraded unit. Standard was 128K

second (Packard Bell Legend 105CD) PC, I upgraded the factory 8MB to 16MB for something like $120 which was cheap IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

younglings…..

my trs-80 model 1 laughs at your fictitious claims of megabytes of memory!

Comment

As long as we're doing the "5 miles to school and back, up hill both ways" thing... the first workstation / fileserver combination I designed was spec'ed with a 5MB hard drive in the server, but we shipped with 10MB because the price difference had become pretty small and the extra 5 MB really helped.

I think the server had 512KB of RAM and the workstation had 256 KB for the first couple of years. I think our GPUs have register files bigger than that now.
              Last edited by bridgman; 13 June 2023, 11:54 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Cache is semiconductor boobs!
                --- from a field application engineer of AMD

Comment

As we measure already our junk, mine first PC was K6-2 with 32MB or RAM, 3.2GB HDD. Now my PC has 64GB or RAM(2000 times more), and 1.5TB of SDD (only 500 times more, sigh). All this in span of 23 years, crazy! And the stupidest thing is that I do the same work as I do now. Programming ( Deplhi then, React now ), and casual gaming. Not much of a progress on my side

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    And the stupidest thing is that I do the same work as I do now.
                    That's the sad part - I also use my desktop pc in very much the same way I used it 25 years ago, only now it's infinitely faster (and draws more power too!) because of the complexity of multimedia and laziness of web devs. Internet was just fine in 1996 and then some "designers" got hold of it ... and now I don't even know anymore what is clickable on each site and what elements I'm supposed to interact with. Great improvement indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X