QEMU 7.0 Released With Intel AMX Support, Many RISC-V Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

- QEMU 7.0 drops support for old PowerPC 401 / 403 / 601 / 602 CPUs.

- Dropping of Armv4 and Armv5 from the Tiny Code Generator (TCG).

Or what did you mean?
    for the power PC stuff, all of the removed CPUs full functionality is kept from their later targets (IE. 604 cpu is fully compatible with 601) (same with 401 and 405 I believe might be wrong on this one though) so it's just bloat, literally nothing as lost.

and as for the Armv4 it's removing support from the backend, meaning qemu TCG will no longer work on Armv4 hosts, not that Armv4 will no longer work inside of qemu.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      My setup is extra special (AMD decided to change something in their windows driver 4 years ago and since then I need to manually design the PCIe layout) I have no hopes of ever getting a GUI that supports this kind of fuckery. Took me a day testing, searching the net and reading man pages. ^_^ It's my hobby and I learned alot.
      lol, I would certainly love too see what a gui that would support functionality like this would look like, it would be a mess to say the least LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        and as for the Armv4 it's removing support from the backend, meaning qemu TCG will no longer work on Armv4 hosts, not that Armv4 will no longer work inside of qemu.
        And whats the use of emulating another arch on an arm4 device anyways? It most likely doesn't have enogh ram and it certainly would be slow as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          And whats the use of emulating another arch on an arm4 device anyways? It most likely doesn't have enogh ram and it certainly would be slow as hell.
          I don't even think it worked right lol

Comment

Does the D-Bus Display support hardware acceleration?

Comment

All of this is great but is setting up cut copy and paste .. and drag and drop easy now?

Comment

Originally posted by CTTY View Post
                Does the D-Bus Display support hardware acceleration?
                yes https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu...tions.hx#L1925

Comment

Virt-manager/libvirt doesn't seem to work for me with anything other than x86 guests - PowerPC at least definitely doesn't work because libvirt doesn't think IDE controllers are supported - but they're required for PowerPC macs.

Bear in mind this is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS base, so it may have improved since

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                    Virt-manager/libvirt doesn't seem to work for me with anything other than x86 guests - PowerPC at least definitely doesn't work because libvirt doesn't think IDE controllers are supported - but they're required for PowerPC macs.

libvirt is designed for server computing environments. I wouldn't be surprised of cross arch emulation would not get work done it. or even same arch on PPC I doubt has a lot of work done, but libvirt should work. though good chance virtmanager didn't have write stuff wired up

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                      PowerPC at least definitely doesn't work because libvirt doesn't think IDE controllers are supported
                      I found a long fixed bug report from 6 years ago, talking about no IDE for PPC: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1136182
                      But hard to believe that would still be present in 20.04.
                      Maybe you can check with a newer PPA version if the problem got fixed. Else a bug report might help.

Comment

Working...
                      X