AMD Announces Milan-X 3D V-Cache CPUs, Azure Prepares For Great Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Milan-X 3D V-Cache CPUs, Azure Prepares For Great Upgrade

Phoronix: AMD Announces Milan-X 3D V-Cache CPUs, Azure Prepares For Great Upgrade

AMD this morning hosted their Accelerated Data Center Premiere virtual event where they introduced Milan-X as well as the Instinct MI200. With Milan-X there is now 3D V-Cache introduced for the current generation and still-very-impressive EPYC 7003 "Milan" processors. I can personally attest to Milan-X being very exciting for HPC workloads and beyond with impressive gains to performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am kind of worried about Zen after the latest Intel launch...

Comment

AMD announced v620 radeon pro lately that boasts ROCM compatibility. The thing is this is rdna 2 based GPU. Navi support coming soon? If I may be cynical I bet the only navi card that will be supported will be v620

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Nah, intel with their efficient core, doesn't actually energy-efficient. For game? Yah it's good. But for productively? Let's just say, I'm looking forward to next release from both intel and amd. I'm looking forward to fierce competition between the two.

Comment

All the cool kids are talking about Zen5 + Zen4D

Comment

That one where they broke backwards compatibility with some games? Or when they did performance testing against Ryzen with broken unpatched Windows 11 scheduler? Just the price of new processors clearly states that even Intel does not believe in their success. If they do, they would cost a lot more. I think AMD will be totally fine

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

That one where they broke backwards compatibility with some games? Or when they did performance testing against Ryzen with broken unpatched Windows 11 scheduler? Just the price of new processors clearly states that even Intel does not believe in their success. If they do, they would cost a lot more. I think AMD will be totally fine
              Heh... it seems that AMD's reaction to Alder Lake will be slapping more L3 cache to Zen 3 while still remaining on the old (AM4, PCIe 4, DDR4) platform. Intel invested in new: platform with PCIe 5 and DDR5, chipset, and two microarchitectures. And don't get me wrong, ADL is impressive especially if power limited in BIOS, but new everything takes its toll.
              Can't wait to see what the AM5 platform will look like

Comment

AL and ZEN3 are very similar in performance at the same power level. AL is competitive, but it is nothing like C2D was against A64 around 2007, where AMD was just destroyed. So no need to worry Not yet anyway. Basically i7 and i9 K models are designed for dick measurement contents, since PL2 is not practical at all. However, i7 non-K with PL1 and decent B series motherboard might be a really nice high performance and efficient desktop indeed.

I like silent and efficient PC: even do not use PBO on my newly acquired 3700X, so it's ~90W at max load, but still maintains ~4GHz all core. What alternative in terms of power from AL will be for such a person as myself? Like f****ing i3? LOL No thanks. Nova Lake is the one Intel core i have my "radar" locked on

Comment

Don't be scared homie. - Nick Diaz.

That is a pretty serious beat down by the MI200.

AMD did also tease ROCm 5.0 is on the way..

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

AL and ZEN3 are very similar in performance at the same power level. AL is competitive, but it is nothing like C2D was against A64 around 2007, where AMD was just destroyed. So no need to worry Not yet anyway. Basically i7 and i9 K models are designed for dick measurement contents, since PL2 is not practical at all. However, i7 non-K with PL1 and decent B series motherboard might be a really nice high performance and efficient desktop indeed.

I like silent and efficient PC: even do not use PBO on my newly acquired 3700X, so it's ~90W at max load, but still maintains ~4GHz all core. What alternative in terms of power from AL will be for such a person as myself? Like f****ing i3? LOL No thanks. Nova Lake is the one Intel core i have my "radar" locked on
                    you meant "contest"

Comment

Working...
                    X