AMD Ryzen 5000 Temperature Monitoring Support Sent In For Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Linux is a community project which works with AMD products.
    If Linux is not an AMD product, what, they should not contribuite to it to make sure that their products are properly supported, what's your point ?
    Cut the crap with lies, I don't rant after "ANY news", just the ones that annoy me a lot, like in the case of AMD, where they don't support their products and someone always has to reverse engineer something to add support for it or AMD send very late the patches.
    As a customer who pays hard worked money, It totally my right to complain as much as I want about things I don't like.
    You should be grateful for my and other people rants because without them, these companies think they are perfect and they don't need to improve anything or they need to charge extra money, which AMD is already doing.
    Without my and other people's rants here and on other platforms, AMD would've even left out the older chipsets support.
    wait what? you are a AMD customer ? "As a customer who pays hard worked money, It"

what product did you buy ?
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      The issue has nothing to do with the number of developers - it has everything to do with the fact that AMD refuses to share documentation about Zen CPUs. Compare what HWiNFO64 reports for Ryzen CPUs and what 's shown in Linux. Under Windows you see like four dozen datapoints for e.g. Zen 2 CPUs and less than four under Linux. So much for AMD's open source friendliness. It's just amazing that Open Source fans continue to praise the company despite glaring long-standing issues with Open Source support. It's almost as if AMD supports Linux just enough to make open source fans happy and in reality they want to keep their secrets close to their chest just like all other companies.
      Don't they need more people to perform tasks like "share documentation about Zen CPUs"
      you know AMD does not only hire Developers but they also have laywers and managers and more.
      even the new hiring from AMD is not only Developers...
      in the past they had simple exuse what was percectly radtional for this: "It's almost as if AMD supports Linux just enough to make open source fans happy" they simple had no money to do more.
      now they have more money and now they hire more people to do more.

so whats your opinion isn't this good ? or what do you want from AMD ? remember they and you and I no one can change the past. they can only change the future.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Just been looking at gigabytes offering, There using ITE.
        Here is the X570-P I have.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...p_am4_atx.html

If you zoom in on the flat layout picture, you will see at least one nuvoton near the battery.

Buildzoid did an excellent breakdown on that board, one of the reasons I went with it.

Here is the video of him covering it.

My Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/buildzoidTeespring: https://teespring.com/stores/actually-hardcore-overclockingThe Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid...
        Last edited by creative; 15 February 2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Just been looking at gigabytes offering, There using ITE.
          I think they are the exception this time. ASUS certainly switched in a hot-minute after getting bit in the butt badly with their exclusive use of ITE in the x470 generation.

Comment

My understanding was that ite chips are cheaper/lower quality and so they are used on cheaper motherboards, while nuvotons are reserved for the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
              My understanding was that ite chips are cheaper/lower quality and so they are used on cheaper motherboards, while nuvotons are reserved for the high end.
              Which is what particularly irked all of us Crosshair VI and VII Hero board users which were premium boards. Those SIO chips never worked correctly.

Forced the BIOS devs to come up with a WMI BIOS interface to get around the major issues with the ITE chips. Sadly the WMI BIOS went away with the x570 boards.

The asus-wmi-sensors driver that uses the WMI interface works wonderfully on my C7H motherboards. As much info as you get with HWinf064 in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post

Which is what particularly irked all of us Crosshair VI and VII Hero board users which were premium boards. Those SIO chips never worked correctly.

Forced the BIOS devs to come up with a WMI BIOS interface to get around the major issues with the ITE chips. Sadly the WMI BIOS went away with the x570 boards.

The asus-wmi-sensors driver that uses the WMI interface works wonderfully on my C7H motherboards. As much info as you get with HWinf064 in Windows.
                Just did an lsmod, nct6775 which is the particular nuvoton super i/o chip. Definitely one of the cheapest of the X570 boards but also one of the most capable, yet lacking in bells in whistles, which for me were not needed.
                Last edited by creative; 15 February 2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  The issue has nothing to do with the number of developers - it has everything to do with the fact that AMD refuses to share documentation about Zen CPUs. Compare what HWiNFO64 reports for Ryzen CPUs and what 's shown in Linux. Under Windows you see like four dozen datapoints for e.g. Zen 2 CPUs and less than four under Linux. So much for AMD's open source friendliness. It's just amazing that Open Source fans continue to praise the company despite glaring long-standing issues with Open Source support. It's almost as if AMD supports Linux just enough to make open source fans happy and in reality they want to keep their secrets close to their chest just like all other companies.
                  No off-the-shelf consumer motherboard has Linux support, unfortunately. DELL and Lenovo have systems with support (but tend to require a decent number of patches).
                  For proper support, you need to go to server platforms. Everything else are at least in part hacks with significant community contribution.
                  Last edited by mppix; 15 February 2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                    No off-the-shelf consumer motherboard has Linux support, unfortunately. DELL and Lenovo have systems with support (but tend to require a decent number of patches).
                    For proper support, you need to go to server platforms. Everything else are at least in part hacks with significant community contribution.
                    what do you mean by linux support ? i use a ASRock X399 Taichi with an 1920X and it works well...

it does all i want. so what is the linux support you talking about ?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

what do you mean by linux support ? i use a ASRock X399 Taichi with an 1920X and it works well...

it does all i want. so what is the linux support you talking about ?
                      i believe he is referring to its sensors. my msi z490 unfiy for example, on windows with hwinfo, show's a dozen different voltages, cpu power consumption, per core power consumption, processor c-states, thermal throttling, turbo boost 3 window, ringbus speed, memory speed and cas ratings, vrm temperatures, vrm current, vrm temps, temperature of my cpu socket, motherboards cpu temp, all my fans, a temperature of my top pci-express slot, dram socket temperature, nvme socket temperatures, and a whole lot more. its extremely detailed.

on linux all i get is the cpu package temps and per core temp that's provided solely by intel themselves that's intergrated onto the cpu itself, and the actual thermal sensors on my nvme controllers themselves (which i have three of). followed by my 6900 xt which shows fan, gpu temp, hotspot temp, memory temp, and power consumption. it doesn't show everything else my 6900 xt has, like its vrm temps and a whole slew of other stuff.

i'll NEVER understand how hwinfo, a genuinely freeware program, can some how get all these documents and schematics to show all this stuff but linux can't. if motherboard vendors "leak" this stuff to hwinfo, and turn around and claim it can't hand it to linux community because (sensor manufacturers top secret, competitive advantage reasons) then quite frankly more pressure should be placed on hwinfo for violating the sensor manufacturers who are having there stuff "leaked" to hwinfo. its not right hwinfo gets special treatment while linux gets shafted. its not right at all.

i can let aida64 pass since you pay for that.
                      Last edited by fafreeman; 16 February 2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X