No announcement yet.

AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now al AMD needs to do is to get out their Infinity Fabric interfaced CDNA chips and get motherboard manufactures to ass a socket for such chips.

Comment

At least this means.... finally, a market of motherboards without all the flashy "gaming" trash.

Literally. I cannot find a single Threadripper motherboard without at least one RGB light or the word "gaming" on it.

Comment

The Threadripper Pro motherboards won’t be available retail, only in full OEM systems. The Lenovo has a very interesting quad M.2 storage expansion card.

Comment

Is AMD trying to drop the "Ryzen" name from Ryzen Threadripper?

Comment

Just when you think AMD Puts the last bullet in Intel, they pull out another machine gun. This is brutal.

Intel is in actual trouble with how many product-stomping products AMD has unveiled without missing a single beat. And Intel isn't even off the ground with anything competitive yet. Zen 3 in a few months for consumers. It's just not gonna stop any time soon. Even if Intel competes with a complete product relatively soon (10/7nm, new architecture), AMD is gonna stomp them out with core counts. But this time around, they're actually gonna be cores that are decent. It'll be successful redozer/redriver.

Intel is years away from being in a good position. It's actually kinda spooky how bad they look, product-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              At least this means.... finally, a market of motherboards without all the flashy "gaming" trash.

Literally. I cannot find a single Threadripper motherboard without at least one RGB light or the word "gaming" on it.
              BTW I find quite sad that Asus don't understand their market to the point they release Threadripper gaming motherboard and workstation oriented Z490 motherboards (ProArt lineup).

Comment

Originally posted by fazalmajid View Post
                The Threadripper Pro motherboards won’t be available retail, only in full OEM systems. The Lenovo has a very interesting quad M.2 storage expansion card.
                What's your source for the "won't be available at retail" claim?

Comment

I really hope they do become available at retail before too long. I was planning to assemble a workstation using a Xeon W, but I'd much prefer a Thredripper Pro. However, I'm not going to buy a packaged OEM system.

My requirements are ECC RDIMM and LRDIMM support, for a large amount of memory, and high performance out of individual cores, for workloads that can only take advantage of a relatively small number of cores. Until now, the Xeon W was the only processor family that met both requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

What's your source for the "won't be available at retail" claim?

Honestly, it doesn't matter much, I doubt too many do-it yourselfers would be willing to spend the money of what this monstrosity will cost.

Sell your AMD stock, in 2 year time it will be worth half as much, AMD is on the wrong track with what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post

SP3 probably does not have the energy envelope to support 280W TDP.
                      No it has. Epyc 7H12 has 280W TDP, and matches all other important tech specs.

Comment

Working...
                      X