X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post

Samsung has a product that fits, but it's not available yet in volume. In the meantime there's the 2666MHz version with the same status, but it's available for purchase. I've had success with running Samsung UDIMM ECC 2400 at 2933 or even 3200MHz on Zen+/2, but it requires a bit of tuning just like Threadripper 3
    Thank you for the Samsung 3200 memory suggestion - sounds like something worth waiting for.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Yeah, LTT calls out AMD on this one too. The lack of RDIMM/LR-DIMM support really limits the appeal of this CPU. AMD apparently hopes to sell more Epyc CPUs through these market segmentation games.
    In principle, I'd understand that strategy. However, I don't see many 1P EPYC workstation motherboards that directly compete with Xeon W.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    64 Zen1 cores is now "cheap" to build. Epyc 7551 costs around 1300 EUR here, a dual socket Supermicro H11DSi costs around 600 EUR. Add cooler, case, PSU, SSD and you will be at around 3600 EUR. For Zen2 with Epyc 7452 add another 2000 EUR.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunatley, not all of our workloads are NUMA aware and can properly leverage a second socket.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    This I actually noticed first, what a beautiful case. Yes seeing a $4k AMD chip absolutely ravage intel's $20k flagship is pretty cool. But that case. Dayum. This "Thelio Major" chassis is dead sexy. Why do so many cases on the market today look like some kind of robotic reject from a Michael Bay film? Seriously, is that what the kids are into? I can't stand the Voltron / Transformer peecee case look at all. Going to system76 now to price one out, hot damn that would look good on my desk.
    My beef is the cases that look like discos. How the heck are you supposed to do color grading with studio 54 next to your desk?

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    It's kind of a nice problem to have when you don't know how you are going to utilize an entire cpu. The artificial clamping down on cores doesn't bode well for VMware and the like though. They should know better. They aren't doing their customers or shareholders any favors.
    Last edited by ThoreauHD; 08 February 2020, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Was about to say that the 3990x is making my 2990wx look very bad.

Then I saw that the 2990wx only had 1/4 the ram in the 3990x.

Seriously? Is this how you benchmark?
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if getting these results out on launch day used up every stick of fast memory in Chateau Larabel.
    That 32GB was the stock at-launch kit AMD recommended for the 2990WX at the time and thus normally what is in that system when not swapping out parts to match. Due to the time crunch and not knowing how this System76 system with 3990X was going to be configured exactly until Wednesday in order to match when re-testing the older CPUs, there obviously wasn't enough time to re-test all other systems with that same 128GB kit. Granted none of the workloads tested really target 32GB+ RAM and the important aspect is each system was making use of all available RAM channels in each platform and at their optimal frequencies.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if getting these results out on launch day used up every stick of fast memory in Chateau Larabel.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Xeon -> Xeoff

ayy lmao

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xinorom
    replied
    Originally posted by betam4x View Post
    I have no use for this many cores, but I might buy one for the hell of it.
    Oh shit guys, we got a big shot over here.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by betam4x View Post
    I have no use for this many cores, but I might buy one for the hell of it.
    For $4000? And with also very expensive and likely quirky motherboards... I find this awesome and as someone working on extremely large code-bases might exactly be in the category of users this was designed for. But I will pass.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X