Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starshipeleven there are also different kinds of dependency hells. Depending on the library or binary there can also be functionality dependency hells. If you have been compiling from source for a given set of time from a given distributions release date and you start to decide you must have xx.x version of a certain app which happens to be quite a bit newer considering the versions of the libraries it calls for and you must absolutely have that app version then you can have a total cluster f*** getting stuff to work. Usually easier just to wait for the next distributions release or to go with a more hip rolling distro.

There can also be package management dependency hell's which is another story but far less time consuming.

When I think of dependency hell, as true dependency hell? It's is when you're compiling a lot of software from source, manually on your own with no automation crap. As I can remember per my own memories with slackware.
    Last edited by creative; 08 March 2019, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      starshipeleven there are also different kinds of dependency hells. Depending on the library or binary there can also be functionality dependency hells. If you have been compiling from source for a given set of time from a given distributions release date and you start to decide you must have xx.x version of a certain app which happens to be quite a bit newer considering the versions of the libraries it calls for and you must absolutely have that app version then you can have a total cluster f*** getting stuff to work. Usually easier just to wait for the next distributions release or to go with a more hip rolling distro.
      Trying to run an application with libraries at older versions is not dependency hell.

There can also be package management dependency hell's which is another story but far less time consuming.
      This is a dependency hell, although if I understand correctly what you mean, this is more a packaging issue or a package manager failing to install and leaving in an unknown state, than an actual library issue so you can get away with forcing yor way through if the package manager does not suck.

Comment

starshipeleven It is when you are trying to compile much newer libraries than what came with the distribution that you are on or your distribution does not provide a given set of libraries.This was back in 2006 though. I have really not ran into what I would call a dependency hell on any distribution with a modern package manager though. Stuff on modern distributions... nevermind.. Stuff is a lot easier to resolve 'and quite a bit different' than it once was I will just leave it at that and a link to some of what I am talking about giving prime examples of the original forms of dependency hells.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ke-4175637215/
        Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 12:11 AM.

Comment

starshipeleven Compared to what back in the day I was trying to use and do, right now things like Manjaro are a dream come true lol. Setting up stuff to get a home recording studio functioning like I liked with slackware around 2005 was a challenge. Especially considering some of audio applications with specific versions that I wanted to use. Ardour and Hydrogen were the main centers of interest among other audio related things.

When I finally got Ardour running it blew my mind it was so different than cool edit pro in Windows.

I was there at Ardours beginning those were very exciting times. I now use Mixbus based off Ardour.
          Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 12:43 AM.

Comment

phoronix
            I am concerned about the performance digressions you found out earlier on Linux 5. Please keep us informed with the latest status on this. Appriciated.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There are millions of home and embedded device users that do nothing with retpoline kernels. As you might see, using retpoline slows your system.
              But you're asking for a message telling users they've disabled a security feature to be removed - it's a message, most users won't even be checking their logs

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                phoronix
                I am concerned about the performance digressions you found out earlier on Linux 5. Please keep us informed with the latest status on this. Appriciated.
                Would be nice with a re-visit to that one, as i think 5.0 is posted for Disco. (Source is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...inux/5.0.0-7.8)
                It could have been some weird mis with "Mainline" kernel that caused some problematic stuff perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                X