Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

Phoronix: Linux 5.1 Getting A Minor Spectre V2 Retpolines Optimization For Select Instances

As the latest on the Spectre/Meltdown front for the Linux kernel, the in-development Linux 5.1 kernel is bringing an optimization for Retpolines "return trampolines" so GCC will generate more efficient code on x86/x86_64 in its mitigations against Spectre Variant Two...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...poline-GCC-Opt

• Cybmax
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    phoronix
    I am concerned about the performance digressions you found out earlier on Linux 5. Please keep us informed with the latest status on this. Appriciated.
    Would be nice with a re-visit to that one, as i think 5.0 is posted for Disco. (Source is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...inux/5.0.0-7.8)
    It could have been some weird mis with "Mainline" kernel that caused some problematic stuff perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There are millions of home and embedded device users that do nothing with retpoline kernels. As you might see, using retpoline slows your system.
    But you're asking for a message telling users they've disabled a security feature to be removed - it's a message, most users won't even be checking their logs

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    phoronix
    I am concerned about the performance digressions you found out earlier on Linux 5. Please keep us informed with the latest status on this. Appriciated.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    starshipeleven Compared to what back in the day I was trying to use and do, right now things like Manjaro are a dream come true lol. Setting up stuff to get a home recording studio functioning like I liked with slackware around 2005 was a challenge. Especially considering some of audio applications with specific versions that I wanted to use. Ardour and Hydrogen were the main centers of interest among other audio related things.

When I finally got Ardour running it blew my mind it was so different than cool edit pro in Windows.

I was there at Ardours beginning those were very exciting times. I now use Mixbus based off Ardour.
    Last edited by creative; 03-09-2019, 12:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    starshipeleven It is when you are trying to compile much newer libraries than what came with the distribution that you are on or your distribution does not provide a given set of libraries.This was back in 2006 though. I have really not ran into what I would call a dependency hell on any distribution with a modern package manager though. Stuff on modern distributions... nevermind.. Stuff is a lot easier to resolve 'and quite a bit different' than it once was I will just leave it at that and a link to some of what I am talking about giving prime examples of the original forms of dependency hells.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ke-4175637215/
    Last edited by creative; 03-09-2019, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    starshipeleven there are also different kinds of dependency hells. Depending on the library or binary there can also be functionality dependency hells. If you have been compiling from source for a given set of time from a given distributions release date and you start to decide you must have xx.x version of a certain app which happens to be quite a bit newer considering the versions of the libraries it calls for and you must absolutely have that app version then you can have a total cluster f*** getting stuff to work. Usually easier just to wait for the next distributions release or to go with a more hip rolling distro.
    Trying to run an application with libraries at older versions is not dependency hell.

There can also be package management dependency hell's which is another story but far less time consuming.
    This is a dependency hell, although if I understand correctly what you mean, this is more a packaging issue or a package manager failing to install and leaving in an unknown state, than an actual library issue so you can get away with forcing yor way through if the package manager does not suck.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    starshipeleven there are also different kinds of dependency hells. Depending on the library or binary there can also be functionality dependency hells. If you have been compiling from source for a given set of time from a given distributions release date and you start to decide you must have xx.x version of a certain app which happens to be quite a bit newer considering the versions of the libraries it calls for and you must absolutely have that app version then you can have a total cluster f*** getting stuff to work. Usually easier just to wait for the next distributions release or to go with a more hip rolling distro.

There can also be package management dependency hell's which is another story but far less time consuming.

When I think of dependency hell, as true dependency hell? It's is when you're compiling a lot of software from source, manually on your own with no automation crap. As I can remember per my own memories with slackware.
    Last edited by creative; 03-08-2019, 11:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• debianxfce
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Yeah, this. Not much dependency hell.
    Windows has no dependency mechanism and using it is from hell and makes you crazy. Dependencies are defined in Linux kernel Kconfig files. An example:
    https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DVB_CORE.html

You can remove unneeded drivers easily. The kernel configuration file of Debian Official kernel are available in /boot, named after the kernel release. Copy the .config file to the linux directory. Connect all your devices and run the command: make localmodconfig.

Use the command make xconfig to manually configure the kernel. Read the built-in documentation and use recommended settings. For more information, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AxgH2bbsE

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    You said that compiling the kernel is not so difficult, and yes it's not because it doesn't have many dependencies, which is what I said and agreed with.
    Dependency hell is not "having a lot of dependencies", it's "having conflicts within the dependencies". Only some applications have that issue, so you have it reversed.

Chrome could be like that if you try to build it all from source (and not rely on binary libs they ship or fetch from other places when building).

I didn't mean the literal sense, it's still hell even if just for building.
    See, that's what I'm saying. Stop giving your own interpretation to things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X